Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia

Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 2nd July 2008, 12:50 PM

Default jonathan : Heaven or hell?

jonathan
Heaven or hell?

Hi Guys...

I have just came back from a trip to pitcher plant heaven but instead i almost find hell.... We human never create anything for nature instead we destroy what mother nature have created... let us see.....

all the pic above are from one location... at first when i saw those beautiful N.Sangunea it really feels like heaven on earth..... let us see what human have done.......

It hurts me when i saw this....

i have transfered this poor fella to another location.... IS THIS HEAVEN OR HELL? there are more pic.... to be continue...

kltower
Re: Heaven or hell?

Jonathan,

Don't feel too bad about it. We are both the creator and destroyer.

Think about it. When we cut up the hills to open roads we destroyed alot of vegetation. But we also open up open sunlighted places (that would other otherwise be covered up by trees). You see alot of nepenthes are found on embankment of hilly roads. Bukit Keledang is one. In Genting Highlands, you also can spot nepenthes growing on some embankment. About ten years back you know you are reaching Cameron Highlands, when you find N. sanguineas growing along the winding road enbankments. . Five years ago I even found sanguinea growing just outside Hotel Equitorial, Brinchang.

As Chi'en Lee had pointed out, in one former rock quarry, he found N. northiana colony growing.

Choong

funkychips

It's nevertheless a very disturbing sight if you ask me. Even if those Neps manage to repopulate themselves under a new set of environmental conditions, would it be the same for every species or case-to-case situation? Assuming the Northianas are the lucky case. The area might become polluted with some chemical or other and the plants might just survive but not thrive. This is my two cents though, there are still many factors and reasons to be taken into consideration that I haven't come across...

tarence

Jon, poor neps. Sacrificed in the name of development. I feel very strongly about environmental damage affecting neps ( i can`t speak for other plants as this is not a `other plants` forum ) & it`s a good thing neps can`t speak or yelp in pain, otherwise it`ll be more painful to watch.

I guess folks can now only talk about how last time n.sanguinea can be found there but well, not anymore. I have a dreaful feeling neps of other varieties will eventually suffer the same fate but well, I`m hoping that I`m wrong.

jonathan

Dear All...

The location will soon be demolished..... anyway hopefully there will still be more N.sangunea for our next genaration to see.... there wll be more pic soon...

Best regards Jonathan

artificialive

Hi all,

some thoughts to share. I dont know how a nep lover will not feel bad seeing the habitats being destroyed. Perhaps opening up area will make more sunlighted areas where neps can grow, but neps are not meant to grow that way. If we are to narrowing the scope to the survival of nepenthes, then yes, you may not feel bad about it. But what about other plants? what about other faunas/ animals? The ecosystem will become unstable. In my opinion, the term conservation and preservation of nepenthes is NOT "you can destroy other plants and animals, as long as nepenthes can survive, propagate and then thrive sucessfully" BUT it is the conservation of flora and fauna as a whole.

In this case, i think education is more important than law enforcement. The lack of education is the main reason for the declining of flora and fauna, especially nepenthes. If we are solely depending on law, we have to place law officers in the woods 24/7, but if the consciousness about the importance of stable ecosystems etc etc is embedded in the minds of the people, they can feel the floras and faunas from their own heart. The lack of education leads to "tak apa" culture, where as long as nepenthes lives, we can open new areas. Have we asked ourselves why, ten years ago (when you find N. sanguineas growing along the winding road enbankments), the environment/ global temperature is not as high as five years ago (when we even found sanguinea growing just outside Hotel Equitorial, Brinchang)? Why the weather from the previous 5 years is not as stable as 10 years ago? Why water and air pollution from ten years ago is not as bad as five years ago? Is this good as long as nepenthes lives?

No hard feelings, i'm ready to be opposed

Naj

funkychips

I second Naj's opinions. I add my point by saying that some Neps but not all will survive but they will not thrive, and there are many degrees of recovery depending on severity and enormity of the damage. Some cases are luckier, some may not be, so if you see a recovering species colony in some deforested area, it is the result of strong genes capable of withstanding drastic changes in the environment but what about other more vulnerable species, smaller in colony and in danger of being poached as well?? In the end it might seem only the few tough types will make it (assuming they are of lowland origins and development is limited to lowland areas).

tarence

Naj, thx for sharing. I agree totally.

We are basically powerless anyway to stop development or enroachment into jungles etc ( unless we rope in the NGOs but I don`t have the time to stage protests ) but at least a few of us remain clear on the boundries between destruction & feeling gleeful or positive about it.

The example on the nothiana is an example of what good could come out of it but I think it`s far fetched, as most areas i`ve seen cleared remain free of their original flora/fauna.

Last edited by David; 30th January 2009 at 12:33 PM.