Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > General Non CP Discussion > Gardening Projects

Gardening Projects Discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 3rd July 2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default isaacgoh: My tiny balcony garden (Read 505 times)

isaacgoh

My tiny balcony garden
« Thread Started on 4 Jun, 2007, 10:08 »Dear Guys,

Here's the pictures that I took over the weekend of my little garden. I love plants but living in an apartment makes it very hard for me to grow plants, especially the plants that I like because it's very hard to grow them on the balcony with all the heat.

After much trial and error, here's the dump that I ended up with.

This image is reduced by 7%, click it to view full size.

Andy: please help to ID this Neo.

Jewel orchid.

Northiana pitcher soon? I hope so. Next to it are various nep cuttings waiting to root.

Comments are welcome. Cheers. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedfishingman

Re: My tiny balcony garden
« Reply #1 on 4 Jun, 2007, 13:58 »Quite a big balcony you've got there, I've only got a little one that I try to fill with everything I want as well. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedatmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #2 on 4 Jun, 2007, 16:49 »Waaa.....nice garden u have there.....small but cosy.....
Yours is a Neo carolinae hyb. a albomarginated version.
Your jewel orchid is a Ludisia discolor...maroon version
On the right of your Neo is Crypt Chocolate Soldier.
On the center right is Guz. lingulata

That's what I can spot at your balcony. Very interesting! Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #3 on 4 Jun, 2007, 17:05 »
Quote: Waaa.....nice garden u have there.....small but cosy.....
Yours is a Neo carolinae hyb. a albomarginated version.
Your jewel orchid is a Ludisia discolor...maroon version
On the right of your Neo is Crypt Chocolate Soldier.
On the center right is Guz. lingulata

That's what I can spot at your balcony. Very interesting!

Wow, andy you are so knowledgeable in plants. Good that you have helped to identify them, I don't even know their names.

I don't even know what form of jewel orchid that is. Jewels are supposed to be quite hard to grow, so far this is growing well, next week will probably ask my friend in Ipoh for more varieties.

A friend is also sending me some sliper orchid "stonie" this week, I'll have to hide it somewhere.
« Last Edit: 4 Jun, 2007, 17:07 by isaacgoh »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #4 on 4 Jun, 2007, 17:06 »
Quote: Quite a big balcony you've got there, I've only got a little one that I try to fill with everything I want as well.

It's actually quite small because of the plants

My wife is warning me again and again when I want to add more plants.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #5 on 5 Jun, 2007, 10:56 »So nice if I have a balcony in my apartment just like yours. Your plants look healthy. Well done Isaac. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistisaacgoh

« Reply #6 on 5 Jun, 2007, 11:33 »
Quote: So nice if I have a balcony in my apartment just like yours. Your plants look healthy. Well done Isaac.

Thanks David. It's a challenge to grow plants in a balcony. The condition does not favour a lot of plants that I have tried including begonia. Only few do well. Now I'm only growing hardier plants. I water the plants in the morning and night.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkhairimhd

« Reply #7 on 5 Jun, 2007, 16:15 »

About Jewel Orchid:

Here the link of photo of my Ludisia discolor. They will thrive in shallow pot.

http://exoticgallery.fotopic.net/p41370966.html

Ludisia discolor that belong to I saac is normal form. Another varieties with green leaves and white vein is called alba form. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://tangansejuk.blogspot.com/isaacgoh

« Reply #8 on 5 Jun, 2007, 16:49 »
Quote:

About Jewel Orchid:

Here the link of photo of my Ludisia discolor. They will thrive in shallow pot.

http://exoticgallery.fotopic.net/p41370966.html

Ludisia discolor that belong to I saac is normal form. Another varieties with green leaves and white vein is called alba form.

Hi Khairim,

Thanks for your clarifications. The ones that you have seems to be doing well, what substrate are they in?

Any tips for growing jewel orchid apart from shallow pot? Do they like water? Fertilisation?

I'm using wood chips and one type of porous rocks for them. Seems to be doing ok.

Rgds,
isaac
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 5 Jun, 2007, 19:08 »I have the same variety of jewel orchid. I saw the growing environment in Sabah national park when i was there 2 days ago...very very filtered light, cool climate, very moist. That is the optimum growing condition, we`ll just have to make do with our gardens i guess. I think the medium is peat moss but not sure.... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #10 on 5 Jun, 2007, 23:56 »wow lots of plants but neat and tidy. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkhairimhd

« Reply #11 on 6 Jun, 2007, 13:24 »Dear Isaac

Subtrate of my Jewel Orchids - I used cementferro technique to build a shallow rectangular pot with size 90cm X 30cm. Now all the jewel covered the whole pot. As a growing media I used coral, placed a thin layer of live moss and put the jewel and let them grow.

Water - once a day but still depend on your micro climate and good drainage.

Fertiliser - We grow Jewel Orchid bcoz of the beautiful leaves. Its flower not showy. 1/4 strength of fertilizer is enough, every 2 weeks.

Pest - the main enemy is Snail...they like to eat the whole part of the plant. So juicy for them.

Disease - Fungus diease called basal rot is the main problem. Thats Y good drainage is a must.

Hope that help

Regards
Khairimhd Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://tangansejuk.blogspot.com/isaacgoh

« Reply #12 on 6 Jun, 2007, 17:07 »Dear Khairim,

Thank you for enlightening the need for well drained soil.

I'll use more of the same media and perlite when I get new ones later this week from a friend in Ipoh. He told me there's green lines and gold lines varieties too. Mine has pink lines.

Do you know of any good website on jewel orchid or similar type of orchid grown more for their leaves?

Rgds,
Isaac

« Reply #13 on 7 Jun, 2007, 10:20 »Isaac

Here the link http://www.tropicalexotica.com/Terrariumgallery.htm

How they use several varieties of Jewel Orchids in their terrarium. So colorful!

Regards
Khairimhd Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://tangansejuk.blogspot.com/isaacgoh

« Reply #14 on 7 Jun, 2007, 10:55 »
Quote: Isaac

Here the link http://www.tropicalexotica.com/Terrariumgallery.htm

How they use several varieties of Jewel Orchids in their terrarium. So colorful!

Regards
Khairimhd

Dear Khairim,

Wow, the jewels in that page blew me away. Now I know why they are called jewels. I had experienced the same thing, under a certain angle, the veins really sparkle and is very attractive.

The terrarium also gave me new ideas. That is a frogs tank! Looks at those colorful and poisonous frogs. The soil in those tanks looks like ADA amazonia soil with a mixture of porous media like perlite or corals.

In our room temperature and using artificial lighting(which can be hot), I wonder if jewel will survive. I will do some testing first in my indoor tank, if successful maybe I'll convert it into a jewel and nepenthes tank terrarium. You just gave me wonderful ideas!

« Reply #15 on 7 Jun, 2007, 11:14 »Isaac

Please don't forget to show me your jewel's terrarium photo when you finished it.

Terrrarium is one of my favourite. Have a plan to build one but until now ZERO% progress.. too many plants outdoor need to take care.

Love to see your jewel's terrarium. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://tangansejuk.blogspot.com/lisham

« Reply #16 on 26 Jun, 2007, 21:42 »I would love to share a pix of my hanging garden which I call my "hanging garden"

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/Rmk_....-h/P6080010.jpg Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on 27 Jun, 2007, 0:03 »wow Lisham, u hang all ur neps there!
nice idea for collectors with space constraints.. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on 27 Jun, 2007, 8:51 »Good idea Lisham. It looks like you are selling the neps ! Hahaha.....I guess you`ll have to plan what to do when the Neps start maturing and getting bigger as they will need to spread out.
Looking at the pic, makes me appreciate my garden space better. I always complain I do not have enough space but compared to your balcony.....I apparently have ample.
Cheers..... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #19 on 27 Jun, 2007, 14:52 »
Quote: I would love to share a pix of my hanging garden which I call my "hanging garden"

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/Rmk_....-h/P6080010.jpg

Hi Lisham,

Thanks for sharing. Nice idea!

What are those things that you have mounted? Can advise where to get them? I would love to do something similar because I am running out of space for my neps already. They are lying everywhere.

Rgds,
Isaac
« Last Edit: 27 Jun, 2007, 14:58 by isaacgoh »

bifurcatum

member is online

« Reply #20 on 27 Jun, 2007, 20:40 »Hi Isaac,

Is there a Platycerium Elephantotis in the 3rd picture that you post ?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedatmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #21 on 28 Jun, 2007, 9:03 »Hi bifurcatum,

I looks pretty much like a cultivar of P. hillii with nice roundish fertile frond pointing upright. P. elephabtotis would have their fertile fronds pointing downwards as a taxanomic characteristic.
Nice healthy plant you havethere, Issac.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #22 on 28 Jun, 2007, 9:15 »Sold to me by Foong of Menglembu as Panama. I'm not very technical with the scientific names.

Thanks for viewing guys. It's a small balcony only, trying my best to keep it tidy and from my itchy hands to acquire more plants.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun, 2007, 9:16 by isaacgoh »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedatmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #23 on 28 Jun, 2007, 13:46 »Panama is a hybrid of hillii. Another good plant that is worth keeping is Magnificent, but the fertile frond do forked out.
Cheers.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlisham

« Reply #24 on 29 Jun, 2007, 3:07 »
Quote:
Quote: I would love to share a pix of my hanging garden which I call my "hanging garden"

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Z0v5xiPsC-w/Rmk_....-h/P6080010.jpg

Hi Lisham,

Thanks for sharing. Nice idea!

What are those things that you have mounted? Can advise where to get them? I would love to do something similar because I am running out of space for my neps already. They are lying everywhere.

Rgds,
Isaac

Isaac... I ordered that structure to be made for me... costs about rm80... basically it's like those old aircond unit support to be mounted onto the wall with big wall plug...

to have more than one layer... u can either use plastic hooks, wire hooks, or hooks with cable wire.... easy.

What I'm I going to do when the plants grow bigger? well, i got another balcony at the back of my apartment... can always populate that area with neps and they can act as blinds.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #25 on 29 Jun, 2007, 11:03 »Hi Lisham,

Thanks for sharing. I think I know IKEA has something similiar that can mount to the side wall too. I dont want to drill the ceiling because I'm afraid it'll cause a leak on the balcony above
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on 29 Jun, 2007, 15:08 »Is the IKEA one made of metal ? It`s for drying clothes rite ? Think : RUST...unless you spray it with anti-rust paint before use. I saw another advert from a shop selling similiar product but it looks to be of better quality. Retractable some more, but it won`t useful for CP hanging laa. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedisaacgoh

« Reply #27 on 29 Jun, 2007, 18:22 »
Quote: Is the IKEA one made of metal ? It`s for drying clothes rite ? Think : RUST...unless you spray it with anti-rust paint before use. I saw another advert from a shop selling similiar product but it looks to be of better quality. Retractable some more, but it won`t useful for CP hanging laa.

It's made of Stainless steel. They a lot of stuffs that you can innovate with.

Rgds,
Isaac