Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Utricularia

Utricularia Everything about Utric or Bladderwort

Old 21st December 2008, 11:05 AM

Default My U.sandersonii

Hi guys,

Need your expertise to advise. I bought a pot of U.sandersonii, when it at nursery it show flower like white rabbit, so I was assumed it is U.sandersonii.

After move in to my house, (yes, I am growing my plant in house) it didn't flower anymore, it is has session for blooming? Secondly, the leaf grow differently, one with spoon shape, another one with knife shape. (refer attached picture) is there two type of Utricularia?

when i bought it...

now in my house...two kind of leaf in the pot.
Old 21st December 2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Default Re: My U.sandersonii

Got a pic of the flowers? If you have any. Casey had the same problem with his rabbit not flowering. Think its not enif light. Please correct mw if I am wrong.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Last time, when I keep them in a place that dont have sunlight at all, but, bright place. It didnt flower. After I move them to lower level of my aquarium that I used to keep my CPs. It give me a lots of flowers!!!

There is 2 type of utric in yours pot. For U. sandersonii , his leaf is round sharpe. For the others long leaf utric, I suspect is same as what I have, flower suppose is yellow color. Dont know name.

All about my Carnivorous Plants experience
http://carnivorousplants.wordpress.com

My Grow list
https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=679
Old 22nd December 2008, 04:09 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

An unknown Utric with thin leaves and yellow flowers. Hmm... do you see zigzag flower stalks in which none of the flowers open? If so it most likely subulata
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:35 AM

BA,KC,

I already put it under the light with 2 inches distance, still not enough light? Wow, guess it need real sunlight.

Khoas,
I am not sure which plant give flower stalk but it is zigzag and never flowering. Haven't checked it produced seed or not.
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:16 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

The picture in the foreground of the top picture looks like livida. It is similar to sandersonii but it doesn't have the ears and the spur at the base of the flower isn't as pronounced. The pot in the background of the picture is sandersonii. You can clearly see the ears and the spur in the photo.

Both of these plants should flower without being in deirect sunshine. I have two pots of these plants. One is in my glasshouse and receives direct sunlight for most of the day. The other is in my office and this would be lucky to get an hour of direct sunlight a day. Both are flowering at the moment. If you have them in your terrarium you may just need to wait a couple of weeks for the plant to adjust and produce flowers.

As for the other plants in your pot this is quite common with utric's. One of the most common is bisquamata. This spreads through everythng after flowering if you are not carefull. It has narrow linear leaves like the ones in your second picture. This is also a prolific flowerer.
Old 23rd December 2008, 04:40 PM
Advisor
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_sow View Post
BA,KC,

I already put it under the light with 2 inches distance, still not enough light? Wow, guess it need real sunlight.

Khoas,
I am not sure which plant give flower stalk but it is zigzag and never flowering. Haven't checked it produced seed or not.
Sound like subulata, it doesn't need have a open flower for seeds.It self pollinate and will do it still in a ball. If you want get rid of it remove all the zigzag stalks for next few months. U. subulata is annual and will die out if the flower stalks a removed.
Sometime it does produce beautiful yellow flowers.
Old 31st December 2008, 05:07 PM

Strath76,

It had been in my grow light for 6 months. No flower produced. When I get it from nursery, there is multiple type of U together. So it could be few type of U in one pot.

Khoas,

As I read from book, (sorry that I just reading with no experience on this plant) if two type of U in single pot may cause another of U disappear if it slow growing. Is this true? Currently they are in 2 inches pot.