Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Default funkychips: updated pic of my shadehouse (Read 279 times)

funkychips

Nep and Till fan

updated pic of my shadehouse
« Thread Started on 16 Oct, 2007, 20:25 »Before I left for work this morning, I managed to snap a crappy shot of my shadehouse.
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

My 3 xeros are facing afternoon sun at the moment, although there is an hour or two of morning sun

Usneoides in the sun

My mirabilis upper pitcher

The part of my garden plot exposed to sun all day. I put my cryps and some broms here.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

Re: updated pic of my shadehouse
« Reply #1 on 17 Oct, 2007, 8:36 »Alvin, there`s something shady about that shadehouse of yours.......hey, it`s got lotsa neps !heheh.....did you build that structure yourself ? my neighbour had some excess steel so he built me something like that 3 years ago & it functioned well for me. MY only regret was I did not coat it with some anti-rust paint, otherwise it would have lasted longer.

My current set -up is similiar to yours except it doesn`t have the option to hang neps, just metal wire shelves to put my trays of CPs on.

I also have that urn you use to put water plants in. It`s used to put pom-poms ( some floating inflated-looking water weed )

To me, as long as the set-up works & is functional for CPs, it`s more than fine.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedfunkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #2 on 17 Oct, 2007, 10:44 »Yup tarence, I and my cousin got this done before I started working. It used to be twice the length and width of this when the awning was not yet constructed. During the awning construction, I had to dismantle the entire shadehouse (it feels like a hundred arrows piercing my heart) and gave some of my plants away because there would be no more space to have all of them. During those good old days I kept alot of palms, ferns, aroids and broms to protect the Neps from the horrible blast from the midday sun. I had my gracilis trailing all the way up to the top of the shadehouse .
I suspect my area has lack of ventilation. when the sun beats down there is no air movement to dissipate the heat being transferred to the plant by the harsh light therefore even when shade is available the heat is retained thus causing dry and hot conditions. horrible combination...
I tried simulating the previous conditions by getting the water urn filled up and stocked with water plants and fishes again. There's been very little improvement .

you can see the background of this pic that the shadehouse can house alot of Neps. There's a humongous carpet of wandering jew, you have to practically step on them like a mat to get inside the shadehouse. My other shadehouse pics have been lost in a pc crash last year, so I can only have a mental memory of what my shadehouse used to be.
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on 17 Oct, 2007, 10:54 »are you allowed to plant a shrub outside your house ? it might help...or perhaps add an urn ? Or drench your garden a little at nite then more in the morn` before work.

i have 3 urns in my house, a 20 foot tree( which needs topiary-ing badly ) , some grass and other non-CP plants to provide shade & humidity. In the a`noon, my garden is actually cool and humid if I drenched it in the morning.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedfunkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #4 on 17 Oct, 2007, 11:16 »I should think it's the positioning of my house. I have shrubs outside and all around. As if shade isn't enough, even my neighbour has a giant bird nest fern and a saw palmetto palm overhanging the low wall. There's something even more disturbing. Missed a day of watering on a warm (not hot day) and you find your shadiest ferns have withered frond tips . Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 17 Oct, 2007, 13:53 »Gosh, your garden sounds like a warmer spot than mine......My garden faces north so i get pretty decent sun going across my garden & sideways. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedfunkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #6 on 18 Oct, 2007, 19:00 »Tarence, here's how I arrange my humidity-sensitive plants. Clockwise: albo Kuching spotted, sumatrana, raff x veitch, albo x veitch, bical Marudi.

There's perlite, sphagnum and stones filling the plastic pot. Notice the bical having blackened leaves caused by hardening process.

My bau giant still in a pitcherless state, as with some other Neps as well

I really hope it will eventually 'do its thing' with time..
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #7 on 18 Oct, 2007, 19:06 »funkychips, you may wanna try giving your raff bau giant more sun. give it full sun or at least 1/2 day sun. my experience with the giant clones is that they do better (pitcher better) with more sun. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
funkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #8 on 18 Oct, 2007, 19:12 »ahhh okok hongrui, thanks a bunch for the tip, appreciate it!
I guess I will shift it out little by little starting tomorrow..
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 23 Oct, 2007, 8:22 »Sorry, left the conversation hanging....heheh. I guess the cluster of humidity sensitive neps won`t `drown` in the dish coz of the stones at the bottom rite ? Just as bit worried with the rains nowadays, everything seems to be overflowing with water. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedfunkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #10 on 23 Oct, 2007, 9:48 »Hey tarence, yeah beginning to wonder why you were not on the forum two days back.
The dish (a plastic pot actually ) is filled with layer of plastic screen netting, followed by big sized gravel, medium sized gravel, then perlite, finally topped by generous amount of sphagnum and coconut fibre. Water runs pretty fast through it but the perlite and stones will absorb some water and the warm air will just make the perfect humid atmosphere for the plants sitting on the surface. So no worrying about flooding hehe...
« Last Edit: 23 Oct, 2007, 9:53 by funkychips »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 23 Oct, 2007, 10:38 »Aah so.......happy growing then. ( i`m talking to your plants ) heheh. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on 6 Nov, 2007, 16:57 »i noticed your Kuching spotted. it's so beautiful & big!

where did you buy it? how big was it when you bought it? how long does it takes to get to that size?
« Last Edit: 6 Nov, 2007, 17:00 by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist