David
Administrator

B. liniflora seed germination
« Thread Started on Jun 1, 2007, 9:12am »
Thread moved from D. burmanii in Sundew Board:

mukaketupat
Re: D. burmanii
« Reply #22 on Yesterday at 5:20pm »

Remember the liniflora that you gave us? These germinated in 6 days.

Will pass you back the seeds once it starts to flower.
I dont have the latest image of the burmanii yet. Will post that soon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cosmoking
« Reply #23 on Yesterday at 7:45pm »

My Byblis liniflora seeds still have not germinated Rather irritating, considering that they're supposed to be an "easy" species
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

zakhren
« Reply #24 on Yesterday at 8:21pm »

Mine never germinated either... What's wrong?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David
Administrator
« Reply #25 on Today at 9:08am »

Same here laa. I've about 7 pots of seeds still waiting to germinate. So frustrating. I tried different mediums, some I place in the refrigerator for a few weeks before sowing, some immediately after the seed pod opens, some I spray with plant hormone, I use different light intensity on them, some wetter medium, some covered, some not covered... hmm, what else I tried.... sigh... None germinated yet.

When I first bought the seeds, out of about 150 seeds only the 3 germinated which is the plants I have now.

TS ones have also germinated. He said about 3-5. I think there might be more now.
« Last Edit: Jun 1, 2007, 9:15am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist bifurcatum

Re: B. liniflora seed germination
« Reply #1 on Jun 1, 2007, 9:59am »
Most of my seeds had germinated last month. But they suddenly stop growing then wilt and die.
Why?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #2 on Jun 1, 2007, 12:24pm »
The problem would either be sudden change in it's environment like humidity, sunlight, and water.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cosmoking

« Reply #3 on Jun 1, 2007, 5:53pm »
From what I have read is humidity. Once they germinate, you must immediately start weaning them from the bag/propagator-i.e. if you put a clear bag over the pot to help them germinate, put a hole in it and then gradually roll it down before you discard it. Otherwise, the plant adaps to and starts to live off the humidity,a nd by suddenly lowering the humidity this often will kill it.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged bifurcatum

« Reply #4 on Jun 1, 2007, 9:32pm »
I didnt cover them with any bag or cover to increase the humidity when I germinate the seeds. I straight away sow them on sphagnum moss and peat moss and place them outdoor, can get direct sun and rain. Most of the seeds had germinated after one weak.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #5 on Jun 1, 2007, 10:20pm »
Did you move them around at all? If you did then that may be the reason why.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged bifurcatum

« Reply #6 on Jun 2, 2007, 10:19am »
I just move them to a place that cant get rain, since they looks like will kill by the rain drop..
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged mukaketupat

« Reply #7 on Jun 4, 2007, 10:29am »
Heya, i did not move mine at all and i only checked it once or twice after sowing. And yea, like cosmoking said, once mine germinated, i poked holes in the cling wrap, now the top is off completely and growing pretty fast.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on Jun 4, 2007, 11:24pm »
After I sowed the seeds, I just simply put mine in shade where it received 1 or 2 hours of morning sunlight, but I always make sure the potting media is wet. Nothing covered, and they germinated. I think our natural weather provide enough humidity for them to germinate. But protect them from rain.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTS tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on Jun 6, 2007, 9:52am »
i have 3 plantlets germinating. I used a big square see-thru thin plastic box to cover the pot from rain drops ( it allows air circulation ) & put it in bright area, receives about 2 hours of direct sun.

i spray mist it twice a day.

i`m not sure how to progress later though when it grows larger......protect it from rain but still get enough sunlite. that`s a tough one.
« Last Edit: Jun 6, 2007, 9:56am by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #10 on Jun 22, 2007, 5:34pm »
Alas one seed germinate for me 2 days ago. I think the spraying with water helps. I have 2 pots of seeds with sphagnum peat moss. One was covered the other open but I spray it daily trying to mimic the natural environment where it grows where the seeds germinate, ie. rainy season.

Lets see if more germinated. As it is now, only one miserable one germinated. I have a 2 other pots on sphagnum moss and covered. These never germinated even after 3 months.

So the conditions for my one success besides my current adult plants are:

media: sphagnum peat moss (horti) soak in about 1 cm of water
water: spray reverse Osmosis water at least once a day
Lighting: 16 hours of florencent lights
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2007, 5:35pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist jonathan

« Reply #11 on Jun 23, 2007, 12:48am »

Hi all...

David thanks for those seeds....

Erm... my seeds have no news for me... even the D.burmanii seeds that ts gave me has not germinated yet.... tank you very much ts.... hehe... but the B.liniflora that ts gave me is doing very good under direct sun but out from rain... growing bigger by days.. really thank you very much david and ts... you guys take good care and hopefully we will meet again soon

P/s One of my dancing seed that i get from david has turn into a little baby dancing plant... happy...

Best Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on Jun 24, 2007, 12:48am »
Not too fast lah Jon, the plantlet will be visible in about three weeks. Patient...
How come my dancing plant seeds still no news??? Jealous...
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2007, 12:50am by cactustts »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTS jonathan

« Reply #13 on Jun 24, 2007, 1:01am »

Hi all...

Hehe... just can't wait.... anyway will be waiting for them.....

take care now friends....

Best Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

jonathan

« Reply #14 on Jun 25, 2007, 11:58pm »

Hi all....

I found out this morning that my B. liniflora is having flower bud Wow... i'm so happy.... then when i came back from work 30min ago i found out that the plastic and wood frame i made for my drosera to sunbath has collapse and all my sundew is all over the place..... i don't think they will survive this... i lost all my sundws.... lost my princess.... i really don't know wen i will lost myself...........

Lost
Jonathan

ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on Jun 26, 2007, 12:49am »

Quote:
Hi all....

I found out this morning that my B. liniflora is having flower bud Wow... i'm so happy.... then when i came back from work 30min ago i found out that the plastic and wood frame i made for my drosera to sunbath has collapse and all my sundew is all over the place..... i don't think they will survive this... i lost all my sundws.... lost my princess.... i really don't know wen i will lost myself...........

Lost
Jonathan

Jon, be patient okay...

I do believe that bad things happens in 3s... and you've completed your cycle... 1. Mimi's tragedy. 2. you spending 2 months pay on a single purchase of neps. (well this is actually quite an investment) 3. the accident that happened to your burmani.

on the other hand, this might be GOD's way of testing you. the test of worthiness, if you deserve the great things in life that HE shall reward you later... well, that's just my point of view.

chin up okay....

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 12:51am by ameliepoulain »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
David
Administrator

« Reply #16 on Jun 26, 2007, 9:01am »
Hi Jonathan,

Take it easy. I give you another packet of B. liniflora seeds ok. Cheer up! Can also give you a pot of D. spathulata plantlets if you want. These were grown from seeds harvested from the plants I got from Tarence. They are still very tiny but there's a whole bunch of them in the pot. Call me.

Not really safe to build structures in your garden for plants these days unless they are really reenforced. Freak storms keep happening. Just like yesterday after work, I was having dinner with my wife in Segambut when suddenly it just rained very heavily with very strong wind. Trees were swaying left anfd right. Kinda weird because before that, it was calm and normal. Funny thing it only lasted for about 5 minutes. Then totally no rain and wind at all. This must be the storm that wreck your little greenhouse.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist jonathan

« Reply #17 on Jun 26, 2007, 10:46pm »
Hi all....

Thank you very much Amelie,david and to all you friends who is always here for me....
david thank you very much for all those beautiful plants and seeds really appreciate it really much.... i try my best to build a green house using plaxie glass so that it wont be wrecked so easily and could provide a batter condition for my sundews... but for now i don't think i can afford it so i will stick to indoor setup....

Again thank you very much everyone.... good luck and best wishes...

Best Regards Jonathan
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007, 2:55pm by jonathan »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

pheabs

« Reply #18 on Mar 30, 2008, 12:31am »
going to buy a larger pot for my byblis.. = ="
going to sow tmr or day after... so scare...

*fingers cross* god bless me...
Old 29th December 2008, 06:37 PM

Default Re: David: B. liniflora seed germination

My B.liniflora had flower buds the first day then they dissapeared without a trace.