Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th September 2008, 01:16 AM

Default Simple question...

Hey there, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice here. I have an N. 'Red Leopard' that a friend gave me some time ago as a cutting from the tip of a climbing vine. After a very long wait it has finally put out a basal shoot. Here is a picture...

My question is the following: If I cut off the climbing vine, would this encourage faster and better growth of the basal? I know the plant is probably putting a lot of energy into the climbing vine so it can put out a flower stalk. I don't have any other neps that are even close to flowering any time soon, so hybridizing is out of the question. I was wondering if by cutting the vine it would redirect this energy into basal growth and production of basal pitchers. Also, I know I can get many cuttings from this vine, which I have also been waiting to do.
I also wanted to know if cuttings from this vine will continue to grow as climbing vines or as basal shoots... Anyways, any advice would be very appreciated, thanks!

Grow List

Last edited by Pananep; 18th September 2008 at 10:36 AM.