Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Old 29th May 2011, 11:23 PM

Default 'Multi growing point', to cut or not to cut

My N.Spectabilis Sibuatan and Sinabung from last group purchase comes with smaller companion. I purposely buried the smaller one when I potted them from Allen's box. But recently they emerge again. Is there any downside of keeping the smaller one? Should I just cut them?
Picture is better than thousand words, here you go...

Old 30th May 2011, 12:45 AM

Default Re: 'Multi growing point', to cut or not to cut

Wow yours is in good condition. Mine is still the same like it gonna go at any time . Both tips look good but IMHO suggest cut it to save more energy for the main plant.
Old 30th May 2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy0123 View Post
Wow yours is in good condition. Mine is still the same like it gonna go at any time . Both tips look good but IMHO suggest cut it to save more energy for the main plant.
I may be wrong, but I believe they're from diff plant. The reason they're not separated is because both are too small. So I don't think it'll take out the main plant's energy. The reason I sacrificed the smaller one is to avoid potential deformation of the main plant, not that I'm even 60%-confidence it'll do that.
Anybody has left this sidekicks and still doing good?
Looks like they don't really like a lot of sunlight, even morning sun, as opposed to what I gathered from internet. And Sinabung is doing worse than Sibuatan. Do you hv the same observation? I just moved them to shadier area, with Sinabung getting lesser sun.
Old 30th May 2011, 08:39 AM
Senior Advisor

where the offshoot emerge from the mother plant, i would made a small incision, wait for roots to form and finally cut and separate it... now u will have another plant...you can trade with me
Old 30th May 2011, 04:31 PM

This has happened to my sibuyanensis too. Apparently, it doesn't seem to do the whole plant much harm. Mine definitely was a basal offshoot. I'm gonna leave it be, then when it gets bigger, I'll separate it. Gotta say, kinda surprised that neps at this size would have basals

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 31st May 2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
where the offshoot emerge from the mother plant, i would made a small incision, wait for roots to form and finally cut and separate it... now u will have another plant...you can trade with me
Thx Robert. Learn something new today. This is great tips for offshoot, without needing to impact mother plant and rooting happens while under care of mother plant. Your 'incision', is it a slit(line), a slice(small area), or a deeper cut(beyond outer layer)? What's the size of the incision? And typically how long does it take for the roots to form from the incision? Sorry, getting carried away with info.
Btw, my N.ventricosa x ramispina has been soaked in water for 3 month without any progress. I did cut a 2-3cm slit at the bottom. Has been a looong wait, no root and shoots, but not rotting.
Anyway, for the companion for these N. Spectabilis, they are still too small to do anything. Assuming they're diff plant from my main, will the fight for root-space and air-space impact the growth?
Old 31st May 2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardyeeks View Post
This has happened to my sibuyanensis too. Apparently, it doesn't seem to do the whole plant much harm. Mine definitely was a basal offshoot. I'm gonna leave it be, then when it gets bigger, I'll separate it. Gotta say, kinda surprised that neps at this size would have basals
Lucky you. My sibuyanensis from last GP still not pitchering. Sloowwly producing healthy looking leaf. I think its gonna be ok.
Maybe I'll leave them for a month to observe further. Hopefully positive competition between the 2 push them to grow faster. Wishful thoughts.
Old 31st May 2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Advisor

[QUOTE=alpiner;49312]Thx Robert. Learn something new today. This is great tips for offshoot, without needing to impact mother plant and rooting happens while under care of mother plant. Your 'incision', is it a slit(line), a slice(small area), or a deeper cut(beyond outer layer)? What's the size of the incision? And typically how long does it take for the roots to form from the incision? Sorry, getting carried away with info.
QUOTE]

a deep "V" cut till the center of the stem (the pith). The duration of rooting will depend on the plant's health.
Old 31st May 2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner View Post
Lucky you. My sibuyanensis from last GP still not pitchering. Sloowwly producing healthy looking leaf. I think its gonna be ok.
Maybe I'll leave them for a month to observe further. Hopefully positive competition between the 2 push them to grow faster. Wishful thoughts.
Heh, I burned my sibuyanensis under full sunlight the day I got it. Half the leaves started to brown after 3 days but now it has made a new leaf and is on the way making another.

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Old 1st June 2011, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=Robert;49318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner View Post
Thx Robert. Learn something new today. This is great tips for offshoot, without needing to impact mother plant and rooting happens while under care of mother plant. Your 'incision', is it a slit(line), a slice(small area), or a deeper cut(beyond outer layer)? What's the size of the incision? And typically how long does it take for the roots to form from the incision? Sorry, getting carried away with info.
QUOTE]

a deep "V" cut till the center of the stem (the pith). The duration of rooting will depend on the plant's health.
Do you leave the deep V-cut exposed to air, or wrap/cover it with sphagnum moss? In short, does it root without media?