Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > MEMBERS CORNER > Introduction

Introduction Introduce and tell us a little about yourself

Old 12th July 2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default cosmoking: Archive from the old forum

Started By: cosmoking
« Thread Started on Apr 11, 2007, 3:07am »

Name-Dino Vlatko Zelenika, but just call me Dino, pronounced Dean-oh
Location- Originally from Mostar, Bosnia&Herzegovina but living in Bristol, United Kingdom.
What is your work? If student, what course are you in?-Student, High School
What cps are you growing?-Dionaea, Drosera, Heliamphora, Cephalotus, Darlingtonia, Drosophyllum, Pinguicula, Utrciularia, Nepenthes, Ibicella
What is your growing conditions?-Temperate conditions outside, but I have a heated greenhouse(to 12 Celcius) One side is going to be humidified soon and will be a "tropical" section, housing Nepenthes, Heliamphora and Orchids. The other section will remain un-humidified and houses mostly Carnivorous Plants.
Tell the group something about yourself or whatever you want.
-My speciality is Pinguicula, though I like all other types of CP's. Aswell. Im also under the name Starman at the CPUK forum.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default Re: cosmoking: Archive from the old site

Reply: jeffrey
« Reply #1 on Apr 11, 2007, 9:42am »

WAH Dino. You Grow alot of CP!!!!
WAH! Got Greenhouse?!
I will sure drool to see your growlist
Old 12th July 2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Reply: zakhren
« Reply #2 on Apr 11, 2007, 11:34am »

That's right, get cracking on that growlist! We all wanna see it hehe.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Reply: TS
« Reply #3 on Apr 11, 2007, 12:39pm »

Hi Dino, a very warm welcome to you. Hope you could share your growing experience with us and enjoy being with this new forum.
Cheers,
TS
Old 12th July 2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Reply: David
« Reply #4 on Apr 11, 2007, 12:47pm »

Dear Dino,

Glad that you've joined us. Jeff is right, you do grow a lot of cp species. I think all or us would really appreciate your coments and experiece.

Could you share how you grow your cephalotus and heliamphora? Been always interested in these two species but I hear they die easily. What more living in a hot tropical country does not help unless I can get a cool terrarium. Can post on the Other CP section.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Reply: Cosmoking
« Reply #5 on Apr 11, 2007, 10:54pm »

Hello David,

Cpehalotus are not difficult plants to grow. The main mistake that people make is that they keep them wet over winter; the plnts deteriorate and die.
Cpehalotus growing season starts around June and they should NOT be on the tray system between around November to May.(This depends when your plant slows down, though)
At this point, treat them like houseplants-watering only occasionally when they get dry. When June comes round and they're starting to grow quickly, keep them on the tray system, but let the tray stay dry for about a day before you re-water. As for lighting, they dont need a huge amount. I have mine on a West(partly sunny) facing windowsill. If you grow in lower light levels theyw ill have bigger but green coloured pitchers: in higher light levels they will have somewhat smaller but more colourful pitchers.

Heliamphora should be very easy, provided you have the right conditions. I used to struggle with mine because I did not give them enough light and humidity, which are the two most important factors for good growth in Heliamphora. Some are very hardy highlanders which will survive almost down to freezing temperatures, while some are tropical lowlanders. Because they all grow in places where there are storms and high winds, they can survive almost any storm without problems. However, as a result of this the pitchers are very brittle: be careful not to snap them! I only grow heterodoxa x minor now, but its doing much better now Im giving it what it wants. Good luck!