Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default stefan: Conditions of my CPs

stefan

Conditions of my CPs
« Thread Started on Sept 8, 2007, 11:56pm » Hi, I wanted to check over my CP's plant conditions with you guys over here.
First of all, my three little ones
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

I spray them 3-5 times a day with rainwater, I also fill the saucer up every 1-3 days. Ive only recently got the pitchers but the VFT is my little sisters which I adopted after she didnt feed it for 3 weeks

And my big VFT which I got in June:
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

I fill its saucer ever 3 days or so and spray once or twice a day with rainwater

Currently, those are all of my CPs but I hope to maybe get a few more soon, but they are extremely hard to get over here and I have to travel for 1hr+ to get to a decent dealer

They currently get 8 hours+ of sunlight a day, but in winter I may have to use a artificial light source

Any help with the conditions would be greatly appreciated

Stefan
« Last Edit: Sept 9, 2007, 12:00am by stefan »Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Re: Conditions of my CPs
« Reply #1 on Sept 9, 2007, 7:28am » Hi Stefan, the plants all look healthy, which suggests that they're getting enough light and water. what's your humidity levels like? unless its constantly low, otherwise you might not need to spray them with water so often.

do note that VFTs and sarr need a winter dormancy, so you'll need to provide light only for your nepenthes.

btw are you a forum member on CPUK? i believe that the growers on CPUK would be able to provide you with more specific advise as your growing conditions are very different compared to what we have in the tropics. (they should also know the nearest and best cp dealers in your area!)

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.83.240looking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
stefan

« Reply #2 on Sept 9, 2007, 5:27pm » I dont know the humidity levels unfortuneately, but I think they are quite high, since it hasnt rained in ages, but I also havent seen the sun in ages. I will put the VFTs and Sarr in dormancy, thanks.

No I'm not a member on CPUK

Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #3 on Sept 9, 2007, 6:23pm » You do not need to feed carnivorous plants. They can't starve to death, they just grow a little slower.

Since you're in the UK dormancy is easy, they will go dormant themselves with the changing sun and temps. You don't have to do anything, just try to avoid frost. How cold does it get in your area? Below 10C but above freezing would be appropriate for dormancy.

Take them out of the trays of water during winter and only water when the soil gets dry.

Btw, you should join CPUK. They will be able to help you a lot too. Since you are in the UK itself.

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.94.56.197 stefan

« Reply #4 on Sept 10, 2007, 4:06am » Zahkren-I normally keep it indoors since it gets 4-5?c But I can stick it the conservatory and it would probably be about 7-9c in there

Maybe I should join CPUK…

Link to Post - Back to Top 82.44.97.133 venusflytrapman

« Reply #5 on Dec 8, 2007, 12:02am » Put them in the garage if you have one. However, I have kept my sarracenias and VFT in their trays without any adverse effect.
Link to Post - Back to Top 81.158.183.227