Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Default mkbt: WTB: Transparent / Clear Pot

mkbt

WTB: Transparent/Clear Pot
« Thread Started on Mar 6, 2008, 4:50pm » Hi,

Does anyone know where I could buy transparent/clear pots in Singapore? How about JB?

Thanks!

Link to Post - Back to Top 116.12.226.99 strath76

Re: WTB: Transparent/Clear Pot
« Reply #1 on Mar 6, 2008, 5:38pm » I don't know about the pots but you could try improvising by using plastic cups or bowls with holes drilled in them depending on what size you are after.
Link to Post - Back to Top 202.7.176.133 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #2 on Mar 7, 2008, 9:32am » Hi mktb,

Use a cilindar metail bar and burn it over the stove. I use a phillips screw driver to do this. When it turns hot, use that to burn holes in the pastic pots.

After that use a small scissors and place it in the holes (scissors are closed). Put presure on the scissors and turn the scissors clockwise/anti-clockwise while pushing in. Next take it out and the melted clumps of plastic around the hold will drop off. Some of the plastic will also be scrapped off inbetween the scissors blade.

When you do this the hole will be clean and nice.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist bactrus

« Reply #3 on Mar 7, 2008, 2:09pm » Hehe... recently on a flight, I asked the charming air stewardess for a couple of "orange juice" cups to take home... with the intention of converting them to pots. Maybe you could do the same. Must be either I look cute or she is just nice, ended up with a whole unopened pack.

David's method works, no doubt. Being a lazy fellow, I got hold of a variable speed electric drill, bought a nice sharp drill bit (buy for metal one, not the contrete bit). Then just drill thru. Slow speed first otherwise the cups (depending on the type of plastic) will break. Can do a couple of cups per drilling. Warning: High productivity gives quantity but don't assure quality.

Have been itching to try heating the drill bit first then drill thru. Wondering will this hybrid method produce a better hole.
« Last Edit: Mar 7, 2008, 2:11pm by bactrus »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.8.206BA mkbt

« Reply #4 on Mar 7, 2008, 3:53pm » Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information and suggestion. I think I'll not try the 'approach the flight attendants' unless she smiles at me first. Me not that cute My pot belly has no way to hide Btw, did you ask for her phone no too? I'm sure you did and that should come first before the cup

Anyway, I'll save the money and get the plastic cups instead.

Thanks!

Link to Post - Back to Top 116.12.226.99 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #5 on Mar 7, 2008, 9:52pm » Hi mkbt,

I got some time tonight, so I took some pictures of what I did with the plastic pots/cups.

plastic cup

heating up the screwdriver on the stove

burn through the cup

After it has hardened

place the scissors in the holes as such. turn the scissors round and round while pressing down

the melted palstic bulges will crack off when you do this. There will be a neat round hole. hole on the right.

plastic will be scrape off inbetween the scissors blades

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist arvin555

« Reply #6 on Mar 8, 2008, 2:31am » May I ask what is relevance with using Transparent or Clear pots compared to brown or other colored cups? I'm curious. And also which plants do you intend on potting in them?

I was thinking of using transparent "plastic shoe box" as a Mini Bog container, but was wondering if the roots of CPs like or dislike being subject to light.

Bactrus, I think the question is, what story did you tell the Flight attendant for her to give you a whole bunch of cups? Well okay I haven't met you yet, so maybe she really did find you attractive, so make sure that there aren't any phone numbers written in one of those cups she gave you

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.163.208.51 bactrus

« Reply #7 on Mar 12, 2008, 12:41pm » I am not prince charming. Growing a pot belly though, receeding hairline, spectacles, lousy facial skin (due to sun) and on that day, a bit stinko too. Methodology is very simple. Ingredients at finger tips.

1. Target the attendant you thank is nice and approachable.
2. Smile and be nice to the person.
3. Don't be a difficult passenger, be courteous and helpful.
4. Smile, smile, but not this type smile unless you have excellent teeth
5. At the end of the flight b4 the tow away the stuff they took out, walk to the back and just ask.

Simple. Next time I'll take picture and phone number for you arvin.

David's method is excellent, wonder if he is free enuf to mass 'puncture' plastic cups for people if we supply him with cups.

Clear, opaque or normal non-transparent pots, difference? Think just satisfaction level. Nike couldn't sell its Nike Air at first without the see thru window. Once they incorporated the windows in the first models, the sale of the shoes took off. Transparent, you see the root growth but subjected to scortching if exposed to the sun; heat no difference from non-transparent pots- acting like sunblock SPF100.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.163.159BA phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #8 on Mar 12, 2008, 4:33pm » Hey everyone,

I wouldn't pot any cutting in clear pots. There was an experiment someone did I found online once (unfortunately cannot remember where) which showed that cuttings are much more reluctant to root if light can reach the part where the roots would come out of. Said person had some clear jars with water in them, and the some of the same jars, which he put black paper around so light could not get in. I think the ones with the black paper rooted faster/in slightly higher number.

Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
bactrus

« Reply #9 on Mar 16, 2008, 5:28pm » Okay, clear pots not good for cps. Noted. Now what am I gonna do with those plastic cups, do shots? How about orchids. Seen many phals sold in semi transparent plastic pots.
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.53.196.113BA phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #10 on Mar 16, 2008, 6:17pm » Nep cuttings are the only CP I wouldn't use them on.....anything else I'm sure will be fine.
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
bactrus

« Reply #11 on Mar 19, 2008, 2:08pm » Think in general most roots are photophobic. Other plants Orchids, Rhizophoras etc different biology.
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.91.236BA