Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Lithops

Lithops Everything about Pebble Plants or Living Stones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default terrence: Lithops or living stones (Read 137 times)

tarence
Global Moderator

Lithops or living stones
« Thread Started on 10 May, 2007, 15:11 »This cutie pie succulents are more difficult to grow than any CP I ever had...except for the Cephalotus i guess.....

it was a mean trick to play but i used to show visitors to my house a pot of lithops, & asked them to guess which are the stones & which are the actual plants. More often than not, they`ll guess wrong.

A stall at sg buloh used to sell them ( an Indon kakak used to run the place ) but not anymore...anyone knows where to get some ? Used to buy them only at rm10 for 3.

They have the cutest flowers but mine never had any....keeping them alive was already a massive effort.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedartificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

Re: Lithops or living stones
« Reply #1 on 10 May, 2007, 15:24 »huhu! im looking for these...... Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]David
Administrator

« Reply #2 on 10 May, 2007, 16:58 »I've also been looking for these but when I find them I am afraid I can't buy them They will defitnally not survive in my apartment. Perhaps in the future if ever I have enough money to buy a landed property. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistbifurcatum

« Reply #3 on 10 May, 2007, 17:10 »What is lithops? Mushroom?
Quite disgusting......

« Reply #4 on 10 May, 2007, 18:24 »Haha! Bifurcatum, its a succulent..
as far as i know, we just water it once a year, after it has transfered all the water from the old leaves to the new leaves...
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on 10 May, 2007, 19:27 »There there now, mind your manners Bifurcatum.....needless to say, we reserved our comments on your antplant on the basic rule of thumb : if you ain`t got anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

My lithops lasted for 6 months at the most. It was full max sun, water once a month. Had to be outdoors but cannot kena rain. Very difficult to jaga.

Wilson`s actually flowered ! If you search the Net for the pics, you`ll be pleasantly surprised at how sweet the flower looks. At least it flowers......Mmmmm.....

« Reply #6 on 10 May, 2007, 19:44 »Yup, the flowers are like daisy.. very cute!
Tarence, Lithops, like Tillis have their own life cycle.. watering once a month is considered overwatered! I myself dont have any experience on growing lithops, but i had done some exhausive search of the information on lithops..
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List]tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 10 May, 2007, 20:15 »wokie...thx....we just experimented only. didn`t know only once a year, coz when we tried drying it out more than a month, it began to look really dehydrated...i.e. very wrinkled, shrunken, mcm nak mati so we watered it.

We used sand for the roots only, then supported the litop itself with pebbles or fine stones. we figured that`s how it lived in the desert.

I think all in all, i had about 20 lithops so far...all gone to plant heaven though.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #8 on 10 May, 2007, 22:37 »Sigh.... so cute, so unique, so weird... and yet I do not have the conditions to grow them. Excuse my language but I'm such a sucker for weird and unique plants. Hmm, in fact anything that is weird and out of the norm... haa, haa... Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist