Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default ameliepoulain: Peat moss

ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Peat moss
« Thread Started on Aug 31, 2007, 1:56am » Guys,

Silly question again from me. I've been searching high & low for peat moss all over Penang to no avail

Last week a nursery finally has some. The so-called peat moss comes in block form and has to be reconstitued by soaking in water. My question is, are this truly peat moss and are they safe to use for my CPs especially to germinate seeds?

Advices very much appreciated.

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.26.13Athene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
jonathan

Re: Peat moss
« Reply #1 on Aug 31, 2007, 2:45am »
Hi..

Peat moss soak in water??? erm only LSM have to sock in water that is as far as i know... but sorry if i'm wrong...

Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.236.104 A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

jk

« Reply #2 on Aug 31, 2007, 3:26am » I don't have a lot of experience with peat moss, but perhaps some of this may be useful. The peat moss that I get is dry and packed tightly in a cube shape, but I've also seen it packed loosely and slightly moist. The dry stuff crumbles when squeezed by hand. It has to be moistened before use, but some effort has to be made to do moisten it, as it does not readily absorb water. I usually put some peat moss in a bucket and spray it with a lot of water. Only some of the peat absorbs the sprayed water, and I have to use my hands to push the peat down into the water and squeeze it. The peat tends to form clumps, with the inside of the clumps remaining dry, so the idea is to squash the clumps. To strain out the water after the peat is moistened, I use a strainer made of metal screen that has small holes.

The quality of peat moss varies among different brands. In addition, some brands have to be cleaned well for use with CPs. One way is to soak the peat moss in water for a day or several days, then drain it, and maybe do this a couple of times.

I've used both peat moss and coco peat to germinate Nepenthes seeds, and the coco peat works just as well, if not better.

Link to Post - Back to Top 66.162.251.251 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #3 on Sept 6, 2007, 9:20am » You've got to make sure it is "sphagnum" peat. If they just say, peat moss or peat, it can be something else.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Sept 6, 2007, 9:52am » Athene....seeds germination works better in peat moss as spag moss is not fine enuff ( even in shredded form& the seeds might fall thru.

i know that New Zealand spag moss ( the best quality in the world ) comes in block form. what does the label say ? from experience, lower quality spag moss won`t be in block form, usually sold in loose form.

the ones i`m using is from Chile, still prefer the NZ ones but it`s too expensive.....there are also spag moss from china ( worst quality ), and those from Camerons ( not that great either, looks dirty coz has weeds,branches etc ). do exercise caution.
« Last Edit: Sept 6, 2007, 9:53am by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 kianliang87

« Reply #5 on Mar 23, 2008, 1:13am » Try find in Jaya jusco, if penang has a jaya jusco. They have in jaya jusco mid valley.
Link to Post - Back to Top 121.120.86.219Student who loves nature. ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Mar 23, 2008, 11:47am » thanks kianliang,

I actually found the peat moss awhile back, a cousin got me a whole bunch.

sorry for not updating.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.51.87.77Athene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
alienfx

« Reply #7 on Apr 14, 2008, 2:01pm » Which section of Jaya Jusco they have the peat moss?The newly open Jusco in Bukit Tinggi,Klang is the biggest in south east asia..
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.77.63 kianliang87

« Reply #8 on Apr 14, 2008, 6:42pm » Gardening section. Usually they sell flowers/vase/pots/fertelizer too. Most of the JJ has a section outdoor/outside the mall(If the whole shopping complex is JJ by itself. But in midvalley it's inside the mall(next to the asam laksa/nasi lemak restaurant hehe).
Link to Post - Back to Top 202.188.138.63Student who loves nature. kianliang87

« Reply #9 on Apr 14, 2008, 6:45pm » Forget to mention, JJ in midvalley only sells peat moss and pelite(brand:UncSam from cameron). JJ in serdang sells spagnum moss/pelite/peat moss(brand:UncSam from cameron).
Ace hardware in midvalley sells a few type of HORTI moss. I'm not sure how to differentiate those. Haha. That's all i've got. Hope i help

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.188.234.35Student who loves nature.