Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default ericsow: Square pot

ericsow

Square pot
« Thread Started on Oct 31, 2007, 2:56pm » Anyone know where can get square pot. Not the Baba brand pot with thick wall.

This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Square pot
« Reply #1 on Oct 31, 2007, 6:32pm » Eric, you mean thin cheap plastic pots for germination or stem cuttings? thot i saw some at ACE but i`m not certain.

I`m guessing you want square coz it`s more space saving ?

Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 ericsow

« Reply #2 on Oct 31, 2007, 6:36pm »
Quote:Eric, you mean thin cheap plastic pots for germination or stem cuttings? thot i saw some at ACE but i`m not certain.

I`m guessing you want square coz it`s more space saving ?

Yes, I want more free space. ACE old klang road didn't much pot as i can saw.

Square pot also easy to arrange for multi plant as I am planting indoor.

Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on Nov 29, 2007, 12:16pm » I`m looking for very shallow round or square pots, something like what is used for bonsai but even more shallow than that. It`s to be used for droseras like indica, spatulatha which don`t really require deep pots but instead need wider space for more plants. I`m also trying to save on the media usage, NZ LFS is really expensive.

Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 venusflytrapman

« Reply #4 on Dec 14, 2007, 12:25am » Why doesn't anyone use round pots these days?
Link to Post - Back to Top 81.158.183.227 tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Dec 14, 2007, 8:36am » We do actually...its the only sort we are forced to use coz that`s all that`s available in the market.....
Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Dec 14, 2007, 9:49am »
Quote:Why doesn't anyone use round pots these days?

yep, most of us do, except once in awhile, when some plants do come this way in square pots - then we'll re-use to death!

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.5.55Athene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
venusflytrapman

« Reply #7 on Dec 18, 2007, 1:36am » Oh.
Link to Post - Back to Top 86.150.252.53 murevarn

http://www.murevarn.se/

« Reply #8 on Jan 12, 2008, 6:40am » So you do not have squared pots. I bough a lot of 5x5x6 from https://www.goetzpflanzenzubehoer.de...in/catalog.cgi in Germany. I am really happy with them. I suppose this is far away if you live in Malaysia. Maybe I should bring some of them with me for you when I come to Malaysia in February.
Link to Post - Back to Top 80.252.171.231See my Carnivorous Plants
http://www.murevarn.se/
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on Apr 4, 2008, 2:27am » oh yes, I got some small square pots a few weeks back... it's the 2.5" X 2.5" X 3".

Wasn't the cheapest for something that size, but sure save a lot of space! I get something like 25-30% extra space!

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.40.186Athene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
kianliang87

« Reply #10 on Apr 6, 2008, 11:39pm » That is really nice, comes with the tray?
Link to Post - Back to Top 121.120.26.58Student who loves nature. ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on Apr 7, 2008, 10:16am » no this one doesn't come with tray.

the ones that comes in tray, well not tray exactly, but more like a frame-like thingie that holds 40 pot together, is even rarer. I got a few last month, it's something like RM25 each.

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.12.244Athene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
kianliang87

« Reply #12 on Apr 7, 2008, 2:54pm » Nice.
Link to Post - Back to Top 202.188.138.63Student who loves nature. phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #13 on Apr 10, 2008, 10:51am » This place is the cheapest I've ever seen: http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/square.asp

I think they only ship to the US though. Once you order over $100 you get 15% and shipping is free. You can get 510 4.5" pots for $15.

I just recently converted to square pots (still have to repot a few things) and let me tell you, it's worth it! I saved half a shelf's worth of room after a few hours of repotting things. You just smash the pots right up against each other. I usually try to put a huge pot with big plant surrounded by little pots with smaller plants and repeat until the shelf is full.

Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
shawnintland

« Reply #14 on Apr 10, 2008, 11:13am » Here's a link to a company in the US that sells the square pots (and loads of other stuuf as well). Same problem...they do not ship overseas (even thiough web site discusses International orders). You might have to use the pull down menu to set the pot size to what you want to price.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...?number=CN-SQV

2.5" square - 800/case @ $38.00! If I'm not mistaken, that's about 1/3 of the above mentioned price at Novosel. They sell the carrying trays separately. Check out the 1020 trays with humidity domes for seed starting...and...and...and!

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.170.150.155 phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #15 on Apr 10, 2008, 11:47am » Those pots are also probably 1/3rd as thick. Those are "nursery pots", which are good for about 2 months (you know what I mean)
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Valhalla when I die
shawnintland

« Reply #16 on Apr 10, 2008, 12:47pm » Hmmmm? I'd check 'em out before deciding that without seeing them! I've been in the nursery business for over 30 years now and have yet to EVER buy a pot that lasted 2 months! My hydro-farm uses a super thin plastic pot that comes in a sheet of 108 seperatable mini-pots, they are paper thin, but even in full sun everyday they hold up for 6-8 months!

Also, on the page you linked to it I believe it says; "Case Price $95.63 /Qty 510" for the 4" pots. I can't find a reference to 510/$15, am I looking in the wrong place?

If you decide to test a few from these guys I'd love to hear the results, as I am considering buying a few cases and having a friend ship them to me in Asia...If they are really that bad, I'll pass, but not just off the cuff! Shipping to Asia will probably double my costs so 1/3 saved is helpful (as long as they are good).

Thanks,
Shawn
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008, 12:55pm by shawnintland »Link to Post - Back to Top 203.170.150.155 phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #17 on Apr 10, 2008, 12:53pm » Yeah paper thin pots = no dice with me. I have a dog, and my fingers are too fat and dumb to gingerly deal with things. I don't like picking a pot up and having it decide to reshape itself, usually spilling some soil out in the process. I've left some of those kind outside as well, and had them crumble when I picked them up. I stay away.

Usually pots that cheap are those paper thin nursery pots. A general rule with pots is cheap = thin.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008, 12:54pm by phissionkorps »Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Valhalla when I die
shawnintland

« Reply #18 on Apr 10, 2008, 1:09pm » I tend to agree with you about the "paper thin pots" but have two points regarding that;

1) In the nursery "Business", despite my love of plants, it is always necessary to remember it IS a business! We use the paper thin pots in a situation where after 42 days the plant is harvested and the pot with roots is unsaleable. Disinfecting and re-using the pot is not feasible and using a more costly pot in such a situation is not good business, especially at our turn-over rate.

2) I'm not sure how you have arrived at the decision that by looking at 2 websites you can decide that one's product is inferior and the other perfect? I do not believe that the pots on the 2nd site are a "paper thin" pot, I was just using the example of the paper-thin pots lasting 6-8 months when we use in the appropriate situation for them

Don't really want to be argumentative, just trying to point out what I believe to be a "good buy" for those who are interested. As I said, I'd love to hear of "real-life" experiences before purchasing, but time is short!

Shawn

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.170.150.155 jamesyong

« Reply #19 on May 19, 2008, 11:55pm » Hi
I am not sure what kind of square pot that you specifically are yo looking for.. But I have seen something for Bonsai plants. Brown in colour, kinda heavy (not plastic) sand based. Many different sizes - sq, hexagon, oval. Did you know that there is a NEW nurseries up in Tropicana? Is it just beside the Damansara Toll booth. There are about 30 lots combination of nurseries and pet fish sellers. Go to lot 19 and you may find the pots.

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.28.163