Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default rainforestguy: N. boschiana

rainforestguy

N. boschiana
« Thread Started on Nov 26, 2007, 11:54am » This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

Anyone else grows this warm grower?

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 67.49.180.26http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi David
Administrator

member is online

Re: N. boschiana
« Reply #1 on Nov 26, 2007, 1:49pm » I do, but mine is still small and the picthers are just 1/3 of your pitcher above. What I like about this fella is the dark red-purpurlish-maroon speckle on it pitchers.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #2 on Dec 1, 2007, 12:49pm » I just bought a cutting of a female. It originally came from Wistuba as a cutting (his first offering of the species), so the plant is realllly old. I'll post some pics when I get it
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
rainforestguy

« Reply #3 on Dec 2, 2007, 2:02pm » I believe the Wistuba female clone is sterile.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 67.49.180.26http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #4 on Dec 3, 2007, 6:56am » Disappointing. The more I talk with growers though, the more I think that boschiana has a very short window of when it is receptive to pollen. Either that, or the pollen must be collected from the donor at something like hourly or bi-hourly intervals over the course of a couple days, then used.
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Valhalla when I die
kpg

« Reply #5 on Dec 5, 2007, 3:23am » I have quite a few pods developing on a female N. boschiana. Whether or not they contain fertile seed is another matter, of course.
Link to Post - Back to Top 69.110.17.85 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #6 on Dec 5, 2007, 8:36am » Hi there kpg. Welcome to our little forum. Perhaps you could introduce yourself in the "Introduction" section so that members can get to know you. Also, just a reminder, please type in your location under your profile so that members have an idea of where you are from. Thanks.

By the way, can you post a picture of the seed pods of your female N. boschiana? Is it been crossed with boschiana or something else? I'm curious becasue mine is still so small and I want to know how this plant looks like when it's bigger or how their flower/seed pods look like. Thanks.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist capslock

« Reply #7 on Dec 5, 2007, 10:22am » Hi everyone!
Here's mine from last night:
This image is reduced by 7%, click it to view full size.

This image is reduced by 7%, click it to view full size.

I love N. boschiana!

Capslock

Link to Post - Back to Top 69.181.70.94My photos are public domain. kpg

« Reply #8 on Dec 5, 2007, 10:22am » Hi David,

I have attempted to pollinate it with two different boschianas, N. jacquelinae, N. spatulata and N. xPisacho. (The plant has two spikes that have flowered)

I'll try to post a photo later.

(Hey, Capslock - you showoff! -- Seriously, I love that plant.)
« Last Edit: Dec 5, 2007, 10:24am by kpg »Link to Post - Back to Top 69.110.17.85 rainforestguy

« Reply #9 on Dec 5, 2007, 1:53pm » Someday pure seed grown N. boschiana will replace these mirror image clones. And like N. spectabilis, maxima, veitchii, ampullaria, rafflesiana, mirabilis, truncata, thorelii, ...show its true energy in being diverse and unique.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 67.49.180.26http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #10 on Dec 5, 2007, 2:21pm » Nice boschiana you have there. Love the dark colors. Hmmm... how come my bosch's peristome is not as wide? Here's a picture of my tiny "pet"...

Mine also seem to be more elongated and not as fat.
« Last Edit: Dec 5, 2007, 2:22pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ding

ding = pickjian

« Reply #11 on Dec 5, 2007, 8:00pm » so elegent the plant is!

ding

Link to Post - Back to Top 116.197.236.254 rainforestguy

« Reply #12 on Dec 7, 2007, 1:47pm » David,
That appears to resemble MT's clone of boschiana. The peristome appears later when the plant starts developing fatter and broader leaves. Their clone is female and so far have been somewhat infertile.

M

Administrator

member is online

« Reply #13 on Dec 8, 2007, 8:12am » Thanks for the explaination Mike. And you're right. It's a MT clone. WOW! just by looking at the pitcher you were able to tell where it is from.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist rainforestguy

« Reply #14 on Dec 8, 2007, 9:54am » David,
Without going into the gory details of tc clones, there are other tc faults that are also inherent in every single tc clone. These details stand out pretty distinctly. Seed grown originals on the other hand are more difficult to discern.

These do grow somewhat well in warmer conditions, but the fertility of these are questionable. If they had tc'd a large population of these and tc'd them on a lower level, perhaps we might be successful in getting more fertile plants of BOTH sexes instead of just the ONE.

I understand that this sounds very redundant and you've heard it many times before. Oddly, this habit of just making a SINGLE clone persists today.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 74.61.72.115http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #15 on Dec 8, 2007, 10:33pm » Hi,

I am also having a few N.boschiana from MT. I have a male and female plant. The male flowered earlier this year and I have crossed them with N.veitchii (Lowland) from MT also (seed pod already developing - don't know whether they are fertile or not because the seed pod are very long and small) and now I have a female plant flowering, hope to cross them with N.sanguinea (bright red) from Genting Highland.

Fauzi

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.53.42.169Nepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #16 on Dec 9, 2007, 7:31am » Hi Fauzi,

Do keep us updated on the seeds.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #17 on Dec 9, 2007, 8:35am » Well I just got my boschiana in today. No pitchers unfortunately.

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.
« Last Edit: Dec 9, 2007, 9:07am by phissionkorps »Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Valhalla when I die
rainforestguy

« Reply #18 on Dec 9, 2007, 12:39pm » That boschiana is definitely not the MT clone, petioles are too long. This is the Wistuba clone which is questionable as being pure. The BE clone again has different leaves and petiole attachment. I find it very disappointing when you can discern clones of a particular species based on some species flaws inherent in the plant. MORE seed grown stock will correct these issues. but until that day, we can just dream of owning one.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 67.49.180.26http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #19 on Dec 9, 2007, 1:30pm » I know someone here in town that has multiple struck cuttings of both males and females. He has been trying to make species seed for a long time, but they never flower at the same time. Every time someone has a boschiana in flower, it seems no one has the opposite gender in flower at the same time.
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137