Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default dom: Terrarium Humidifier and Air Exchange.

dom

Terrarium Humidifier and Air Exchange.
« Thread Started on Mar 28, 2008, 12:00pm » Dear all,

I am trying to get this Terrarium Humidifier and Air Exchange. But i seem like can't find it locally. The below web site only shipping in US only. Anyone from state can help out? Thanks..

http://www.backyardstyle.com/shop/index.....431a02b95358acd

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.121.63.196My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com David
Administrator

member is online

Re: Terrarium Humidifier and Air Exchange.
« Reply #1 on Mar 28, 2008, 2:12pm » If you can't find it and you want ot save some money, you can do this. Pour into the tank about 1-2 inches of water and place a plastic drain cover (or anything else) above the water line. Plants will be placed on top of this platform.

Place an aquarium air pump to pump air into the water. This would create humidity in the tank. My one feet terrarium humidity can be 95% at night and about 80% during the day.

The platform is brown colour. I use plastic PVC pipes to elevate the platform.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008, 2:15pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist dom

« Reply #2 on Mar 28, 2008, 3:12pm » Hi David,

Thank you for the post. But it is hard to have a very good air circulation inside there. If implement with a computer fan, need to refill the water in very often. I had done that before.

I read some posts in a Hong Kong forum about this setup quite sometime ago. Here are the links. If you know how to read Chinese.

http://aquariumfarm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36040

Here are some members setup for poison dart frog, tree frog and CP as well.
http://www.aquariumfarm.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=42310

You can find more article, setup steps and etc in here.
http://www.aquariumfarm.com/phpBB2/viewf....58f6ec56d6941ef

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.121.63.196My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #3 on Mar 28, 2008, 5:09pm » Sorry, I do not know how to read chinese.

No need to use computer fans. I also did that. It does not work. I use 2 air pumps in my 1-feet terrarium and the air flow is good. I also use a more powerful pump. There is no water condensation on the terrarium glass at all whether it's morning, afternoon or night. This way, humidity is high with good air circulation.

I also do not need to fill water at the bottom of the tank because when I water my CPs, water will flow out under the pots into the water below. So there's no issue with refilling water in the bottom of the tank.

Anyway, this is just my suggestion.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008, 5:20pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist dom

« Reply #4 on Mar 28, 2008, 5:25pm » Ic. So you place an air stone with the air hose to the bottom? Or just drill a hole with air hose in and pump the air?
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #5 on Mar 28, 2008, 5:29pm » Just air stone with air hose to the bottom from the top of the tank. Anyway, I'm no expert in this area. I think you know more than me since you were into planted tanks for many years now. Just suggested this to you since my simple setup worked for me. Thought it might help.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist dom

« Reply #6 on Mar 28, 2008, 5:31pm » Haha...Because i am not yet try out with the air pump. but with fan only. Since you are success with this. I will try it out. Thanks man...
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #7 on Mar 28, 2008, 5:35pm » You're welcome.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist arvin555

« Reply #8 on Apr 1, 2008, 10:29pm » I agree with David that you can make your own, his suggestion is the simplest I think, but if you want to make one exactly like the photo you posted, you can make them using 5 liter water bottles or even 2 liter water bottles. The trick is to use the airpump to make the air more humid, same concept with Oxygen tanks in hospitals, the O2 goes through water to make it more humid.

You can buy long square airstones to produce more surface area for bubbles.

I myself aerate the water I water my CPs with, using an airpump not sure why i started doing it, must have read something about it somewhere. The way I see it, it won't hurt, first I get aerated oxygenated water to water my plant, and also help Chlorine to evaporate more quickly.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.163.206.114 marigoldsfail21

« Reply #9 on Apr 2, 2008, 7:52am » The air stone thing works well for me. I have a soil-bottom terrarium wth a small jar set into the soil in the corner with an airstone. I agree with what David said, but for me one good air pump seems to provide enough air flow(I also have a smaller terrarium, though).

With my setup, the water in the jar evaporates in a relatively short time. One thing you could try if you have that problem is placing a gallon sized container next to the terrarium and place a siphon connecting it to the jar/container or whatever you'r using. The nice thing with that sytem is when you have good air flow from the pump, the spray from the air stone/bubbler keeps the soil evenly moist and all you have to do to water is to fill the gallon- container. It's nice because then you don't have to reach into the terrarium to water the plants, although you need to keep the water level in the container even with the rim of the jar.

good luck with your humidifier/air exchange

Link to Post - Back to Top 97.84.213.98 dom

« Reply #10 on Apr 22, 2008, 12:15pm » Thank you guys for the suggestion. Done mine. Ugly one. Who cares? Since it is working perfect for my terrariums now.

500ML bottle

1.5L bottle

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.121.63.196My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com marigoldsfail21

« Reply #11 on Apr 23, 2008, 7:10am » Glad you found a solution, Dom.
Link to Post - Back to Top 97.84.213.98 dom

« Reply #12 on Apr 24, 2008, 10:12am » Thank you guys for the solutions. Regret that I didn't join this forum earlier.
Link to Post - Back to Top 203.121.63.196My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com edmund83

« Reply #13 on Apr 25, 2008, 2:23pm » thank david for the diagram ... currently i plan do a CP tank as well which can keep inside my room.

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.56.90.242Edmund ^^v
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmund830808/
~~DrosEra F@n == CepH F@n~~
ericsow

« Reply #14 on Apr 25, 2008, 4:44pm » Hi guy, I just wondering that what is the purpose of the sponge inside? Do it required to float inside the container?
Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.106 dom

« Reply #15 on Apr 25, 2008, 11:00pm » To create more moist air.
Link to Post - Back to Top 58.71.242.241My very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com