Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default phissionkorps: phissionkorps chamber (Read 193 times)

phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

phissionkorps chamber
« Thread Started on 15 Jan, 2008, 17:23 »The Europeans make really nice terrariums.
I care nothing for aesthetics.

My gods are Frugality, Miserness, and Spendthrift.

My number one concern is cost, which is why I embarked on attempting to build a cheap yet sufficiently large chamber. My old one was way too small and crappy. It was basically disintegrating.

Here's my parts list:
Snap Clamps: 9 x $1.19 + $6.55 (shipping) = $21.07
3-way elbow fittings: 8 x $2.83 + $8.67 (shipping) = $31.31
1.5" x 10' PVC pipe: 8 x $4.29 = $34.32
Duct tape: free (had it laying around) = $0
Plastic sheeting: ~$8 for a small 4 mil roll = $8
(I covered most of it in a large roll of 6 mil sheeting I had laying around since I paint houses. The 4 mil was just to fill the little gaps I had.)
Light fixtures: ~$8 x 2 (3/5 I already had) = $16
Bulbs: ~$7 x 2 = $14
(The 3 fixtures I had already had bulbs)
Small fan: free (already had it) = $0
Humidifier: $30 x 1 = $30
Shelving: $50 x 1 = $50
(originally I planned on making one out of these: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pr....1361&lpage=none and cinder blocks. Doing that, you can make a 6' x 1' shelf 3 tiers high for about $30. This wasn't stable enough for me, since I am building this on carpet. Put 2 cinder blocks on the ends, then 1 in the middle, and stack the wire racks. I decided to buy a cheap shelf instead).
Twine: free = $0
Total: = $204.70

For a grow area that's 7' h x 3' w x 7' long...that ain't bad.
1.5" pipe is the way to go. Though smaller diameter pipes and fittings would save money, I do not recommended them for something of this size. The structure is very sturdy as well. I punched it to test it out, and it barely and briefly shook. Passed my test.

I'm going to add a few more lights and maybe a heater soon, but this is how everything is ATM.

I had some pics of the very beginning, as I was planning on doing an entire build, but they kind of looked bad. Plus, it's a box made of PVC and fittings. If you can't figure out how to replicate this from the photos, we're all in lots of trouble.

Outside:
This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

As I said, the dimensions are: 7' h x 3' d x 7' w

I'm using this 6' h x 2' d x 3' w shelving unit I got for a paltry $50 at Home Depot. If you're looking for shelving, I highly recommend this. It's made of high impact resin and can hold 1000lbs (evenly distributed weight, i.e. 200lbs per shelf):

My new tank+stand that I put in there. I'm too lazy to cut the mylar (really an emergency blanket lol), so I just drape it over:

There's 2 kinds of location data ampullaria seeds, and raff seeds with location data in there.

As you may or may not know via this thread (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111265) my collection is in shambles. Hopefully the higher humidity and the soaking I gave everything will make all perk up and at least not die, but who knows. Anyway, here's about the only 2 things looking decent ATM:

chaniana x veitchii:

splendiana x rokko:

I've still got some kinks to work out, like the fact that the light in the tank doesn't come on when the timer clicks on, even though the other 4 lights connected to the same exact timer do. However, it does work when I click it off, then on manually. I'll try to clean it with coke and/or CLR to get some of the corrosion off, and if it still doesn't work, I may have to break down and buy a new light fixture deal, though I'd realllllly rather not.

Btw, my old enclosure:

Is now inside my new one, without the crap plastic on top of it. It is currently empty, but tomorrow I'll probably go and get 2 new fixtures to hang on it, since I am expecting a new shipment next week, and have 0 room already. I ran out of space so fast because I'm trying to let the new plants not touch each other so they'll get more air movement etc. In my old setup, I had pots literally inside/on top of other pots, which didn't do so hot.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNatura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
David
Administrator

Re: phissionkorps chamber
« Reply #1 on 17 Jan, 2008, 14:15 »I envy you for having such a huge place to grow your plants.

With such a huge chamber and the matress leaning at the side of the wall in your room (first picture), where are you sleeping now? Admire your dedication to yoru plants.

Just curious, what are the two horizontal black tape on the left side for?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistphissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #2 on 17 Jan, 2008, 14:38 »Sleep is for ****es!
That mattress is actually there to block cold air from the window, since I grow lowlanders...but its -9C here right now. This room is actually the guest room. I sleep in a slightly bigger room. My parents are really the only people that visit me, and my dad thinks my plants are cool (he likes VFTs better though. Gave him a nice one but the cat ate it after a few months ). I told him about how I built a massive new chamber and though I thought he'd be mad, he told me "I bet that looks nice and you're happy with it". Surprisingly, they say the lights don't bother them when they sleep in the room (with my old setup though. This one has 1 more fixture).

The tape is there cuz I covered the chamber in huge sheets but ran out, so I had to tape 3 smaller sheets together in order to cover that part lol. Where the tape ends is one piece, then you can see the left edge of the right piece going diagonally around that area, and there is also a 3rd piece in front of those two. That's pretty much my door setup so humidity won't escape.

Quote: I envy you for having such a huge place to grow your plants
Dude, you live in Malaysia. The world is your growing area .
« Last Edit: 17 Jan, 2008, 14:39 by phissionkorps »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNatura non facit saltum
Valhalla when I die
David
Administrator

« Reply #3 on 17 Jan, 2008, 23:43 »
Quote: Dude, you live in Malaysia. The world is your growing area .

Trouble is I do not have the luxury of living on a landed property with a garden. I live in a small apartment with my wife an kid. So, even if I want to build a huge chamber like yours, it's kinda difficult because of space constraint. THE "Minister of home Affairs" would not be very please if the grow chamber is too huge. haa, haaa, haaa...

Even with my 2 4-feet set up I have problem briging the temperature down. It is much easier to heat up an area than cooling it down unless I am rich enough to switch on air-conditioning for my plants.

Alot of my neps are in my parents place in another town but that kinda defeats the purpose of growing them as I cannot care for them or see them as often as I want to.

I shall dream and wait for the day when I shift to a landed property. My garden is gonna be packed with Neps and other CPs ... gotto hope! gotto hope! gotto hope...
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

« Reply #4 on 17 Jan, 2008, 23:44 »Well done on your chamber. Looks steady and practical Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistphissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #5 on 18 Jan, 2008, 5:16 »I agree on the heating thing. That's why I only grow lowlanders now. I don't use air conditioning in the summer, so my house is about 87°, and in the winter I heat up to 68, but during the day the lights heat the chamber up to the high 70s/low 80s. At least you will be able to grow neps outdoors year-round one day. I don't think that will ever happen for me unless I move to the very tip of Florida, which isn't likely. I would just move over to your part of the world eventually, but I don't think foreigners are allowed to own property .

Quote: Well done on your chamber. Looks steady and practical
Thanks. Hopefully it works out as well as I am hoping . We'll judge it by how well the plants grow I suppose

Valhalla when I die
David
Administrator

« Reply #6 on 18 Jan, 2008, 8:50 »
Quote: I would just move over to your part of the world eventually, but I don't think foreigners are allowed to own property .

Yes you can under the "Malaysia My Second Home" programme. Check out these sites...

This is the official site by the government of Malaysia:
http://www.mm2h.gov.my

This is a personal website by an Englishman on the subject matter:
http://www.mm2h.com
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistphissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #7 on 18 Jan, 2008, 9:19 »Woohoo!
Found this article too: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0WDP/is_2001_May_7/ai_74265473

I probably won't be able to move there until I retire, but from the above article:
"In a move to attract older people to the country, the Foreign Investment Committee has launched a ''Silver-Haired Program'' under which foreigners over the age of 55 can buy residential units that cost more than 150,000 ringgit on condition that the units are located within designated areas."

SWEEEEEEEEET. I plan on still being able to jungle trek until I'm at least 70. Might not be able ot climb up so many mountains haa, but I'll just fly in with a helicopter or something.

Valhalla when I die