Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Orchids

Orchids Everything about plants in the Orchidaceae family

Old 2nd January 2009, 11:56 PM

Default Grammatophyllum scriptum

After waiting for 2 1/2 years and giving it tender, loving and care, it finally blooms!

I was thinking of taking the photos when all the flowers on the spike blooms, but unfortunately I'm going outstation in a few days so I won't be able to enjoy that view. how unfortunate, but even with 40% of the flowers blooming, it is still a magnificent view. Enjoy!!!

Old 3rd January 2009, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Grammatophyllum scriptum

Thats a very lovely orchid. Love the colour.
Old 3rd January 2009, 04:45 PM

HUGE ORCHID YOU HAVE THERE!!..Look at the stem.........My white phalaenopsis isn't flowering somehow....

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:29 PM
malowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
HUGE ORCHID YOU HAVE THERE!!..Look at the stem.........My white phalaenopsis isn't flowering somehow....

Ken
do you fertilise your white phalaenopsis?

they need to be fertilised frequently lol... actually i have a few pots of purple phalaenopsis too.. and one white one.. but i dont fertilize them at all so they dont flower for me frequently haha
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:51 PM

there are two golden rule for orchids, and if they were followed you won't have any problem to get them to bloom.

1) weekly, weakly:
this refers to the fertilising regime, use only 1/2 strength of what is recommended on the label, but you have to feed them EVERY WEEK

2) good root, good growth, good flower:
this refers to the whole plant. you have to monitor the condition of root and plant growth. if these two requirements are fulfilled, you'll get nice bloom.
Old 4th January 2009, 10:32 PM
Global Moderator

Great scriptum, harris... Don't worry, I'm sure the flowers will last till you get back.. When mine bloomed, it lasted for 2 months.. But be aware that scriptum absolutely DISLIKES repotting.. I repotted my scriptum after the blooming, and I lost more than half the plant dur to root and bulb rot..
Old 4th January 2009, 10:51 PM

alamak, is that right? so i think i'll just put the current pot in a slightly bigger one and fill it with charcoal and brick chips then. at least, there'll be no damage to the roots. the reason i wanna repot is the pot is already full and a new side shoot has emerged at the rim of the pot.

BTW, went to the flea market next to the old stadium (rope walk) last saturday. i bought 2 pots of gramma for RM10 each. but, don't know whether it's scriptum, marthae or hybrids but for the price i'm paying i don't really care what i'll get as long as it's gramma. both pots have a decent sized gramma, one with 4 bulbs and the other one with 5 bulbs

usually, orchid burseries are selling at least for RM30 if they were at the same size. so, i guess i'm just lucky!!
Old 4th January 2009, 11:45 PM

Hi Malowie i nvr ever fertilise it.........I have some sort of fertilizer which i'm hesistant to use......If you've been to the jusco gardening section you would have seen them promoting a fertilizer called HB-101 which its ingredients are cedar,cypresses,pines and plantains.Its in liquid form BTW......So how should i use it and how much.....It grew a new stem from one of the older stem and it has now rooted quite well...... ..It is in a pure charcoal media......So theres nothing much...

Ken

Nepenthes.....The king of CPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To all drosera and sarra etc etc lovers don't kill me
Old 5th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Global Moderator

harris, that's exactly what I did.. My plant was rather large (gave me 2 spikes at first bloom) and I also attempted to repot because the new growths were being squeezed at the edges of the pot.. Then it became unhappy and declined.. oh, that sounds like a good deal.. yup, I agree.. I bought a small scriptum var. citrinum for nearly RM20...