Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default zakhren: Temp drop for dormancy

zakhren

I'm back!

Temp drop for dormancy
« Thread Started on Apr 12, 2007, 6:35pm » I thought of this, for creating a temp drop for dormancy of flytraps, sarras etc. I tested today and placing a 1.5 litre bottle will cause a temp drop by 8-10C for 10 hours if its constantly shaded from direct sun. So, each 1.5 litre bottle placed near your plants would cause an additional 8-10C drop in temp. Using a 3 litre bottle would last twice as long and create more of a drop most likely. And over a few weeks you can add more bottles for a gradual drop in temp. And you only have to swap the bottles twice a day. Not like we don't spend alot more time than that on our plants hehe. You never have to change the water in the bottles, if you're using 4 bottles have 8. To keep 4 in the freezer at all times. And you could collect the condensation drip off to water your plants haha. But I'm still not sure if a temp drop is even needed yet. But it's a thought. « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2007, 6:42pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.46.165 David
Administrator

member is online

Re: Temp drop for dormancy
« Reply #1 on Apr 12, 2007, 7:07pm » It's an idea but I wouldn't have the time to keep changing the bottles. Busy with work.

Why don't you try the dry dormancy method proposed by TS? It has been tested and proven to work and you do not need to work so hard changing bottles.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2007, 7:08pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #2 on Apr 12, 2007, 7:11pm » Haha it's hardly work. It takes 30 secs to change the bottle. And with a frozen 3 litre it can last up to 14-16 hours cooling, maybe more. You can swap it anytime between then. In November, I'm gonna try both methods.

It would last even longer and colder if you have an open top polystyrene box to put your pots in
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2007, 7:17pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.46.165 cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on Apr 12, 2007, 8:13pm » You can try it because you have plenty of time, you'll be tight up with this and eventually get tired. But I will be interested in the result.
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.51.135TS zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #4 on Apr 12, 2007, 8:17pm » Haha I spend 10 min every morning walking outside, looking at my plants, watering them, making sure nothing is ok. People really don't have time to walk from their plants with a bottle to their fridge, then back to their plants? It takes 1 minute if you walk slowly~ no matter how busy you are you gotta have 1 min. Takes longer to water the plants... Plus I work out everyday so carrying a 3 litre bottle of water isn't any different from that. Just easier and shorter than lifting weights.

Unless you for some reason have a huge distance between your plants and your fridge, carrying a watering can to your plants everyday is the same. And dormant plants dont really need to be watered so much so it's pretty much the same thing.

Plus maybe with a polystyrene box with the pots in there, and a 3 litre bottle, it may last up to 24 hours! (will test, if not a 5 litre bottle) Once a day taking up 1 minute is hardly time consuming.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2007, 10:40pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.46.165 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #5 on Apr 13, 2007, 2:06pm » I admire your dedication. I honestly will get tired of doing it. Call me a lazy bump but I have tried switching on and off my terrarium lights. It didn't last that long before I bought a timer.

Anyway, just wondering. When you start placing the bottles next to the plants you would also move them to the shade? Meaning totally not sun? Or is it a gradual reduction of sunlight?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #6 on Apr 13, 2007, 3:43pm » I would do a gradual reduction of sun until they are staying in just bright shade (over a month). Then I'll start Reducing the temps over another month. The reduction of sun should lower the temps slightly by a few C already. I'll also try not send some into dormancy, brad on cpuk suggests that it may not even need one.
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.46.165