Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default ameliepoulain: Are these fertilized seeds?

ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Are this fertilized seeds?
« Thread Started on Nov 2, 2007, 4:42pm » I got this flowerstalks from my next door neighbour, just wondering if I'd be able to get some plants out of these seeds.

The seed pods

The plants from next door

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.215.18Athene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

Re: Are this fertilized seeds?
« Reply #1 on Nov 2, 2007, 5:12pm » Did you prise open any pod to investigate? Look like they are still not ripe. you have to wait till they turn brown and "explode" only then the seeds are viable.
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.3.149 ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on Nov 2, 2007, 10:16pm » robert,

so i'll just leave them flowerstalks in a plastic bag until they explode, is that correct?

there's two more stalk, still on the plant, I'll ask my neighbour to leave them there until they start exploding.

btw, those are all female flowers right?

Athene's Wishlist
Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #3 on Nov 2, 2007, 10:36pm » Athene,the 3 stalks taken will be useless as the seeds inside are immature. The embryo are not fully develop.

Since it's your neighbour's plant you have no problem inspecting once in a while.when the seed pods ripen and turn brownish the tip will crack open slightly and that was the time you pluck them before it finally "explode' releasing seeds into the air.

yup,they're all female flowers.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.3.149 fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #4 on Nov 2, 2007, 10:50pm » Hi Athene,

I think the flowers are not fertile as it has not been pollinated, that is why the seed pod does not grow big or maybe that guy next door harvest it to soon. Just check whether your neighbour is having a male flowering Nepenthes. If there are then you will be getting a fertile seed pod. Nepenthes are dioecious, which mean that one plant can only produce either female or male flower. You need both for pollination to take place.

Thanks

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.240.40Nepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Nov 2, 2007, 11:50pm »
Quote:Hi Athene,

I think the flowers are not fertile as it has not been pollinated, that is why the seed pod does not grow big or maybe that guy next door harvest it to soon. Just check whether your neighbour is having a male flowering Nepenthes. If there are then you will be getting a fertile seed pod. Nepenthes are dioecious, which mean that one plant can only produce either female or male flower. You need both for pollination to take place.

Thanks

alamak! such a pity... because I just realized that there were 6 flowers stalk all together in her garden and they were all female I think & at the same time I had my n. xmiranda & n. fusca x N.maxima that were with male flowers, it's just that when I discovered the neighbours flowers, all the pollen from mine were gone!

next time i hope...

btw, fauzi, a plant that produses female flower will keep on producing female flower right? <---- silly question I know, but since my cousin asked me this, it's been buggin me coz' i'm not 100% positive!

Athene's Wishlist
artificialive
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Nov 3, 2007, 12:10am » Amelie,
neps only have one sex

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.214.215[Naj Grow List] --- [Naj Wanted List] Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #7 on Nov 3, 2007, 9:34am » Athene,Fauzi was right. Either the flowers were fertilised but harvested too early.

Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.21.182 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #8 on Nov 3, 2007, 9:51am » Athene, your neighbour is lucky. Not easy to get female neps.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist funkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #9 on Nov 3, 2007, 2:35pm » I once tried crossing the male x Miranda with my female gracilis...coz they were the only ones in bloom...seed pods developed and I collected the seeds and sown them. After six frustrating months of waiting, I just cleared them out. Could it be due to x Miranda's complex genes?? 3N plants??
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.134.224 phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #10 on Nov 4, 2007, 6:15am » Lots of mass produced TC plants have fertility issues: Miranda, Judith Finn, ventrata, diatas (IIRC), etc
Link to Post - Back to Top 75.111.173.137Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
rainforestguy

« Reply #11 on Nov 7, 2007, 4:28am » Miranda for the most part has proven to be infertile. There are different forms of Miranda and if you get an earlier Miranda, it might still be fertile. Many of the tc species are infertile. I have found that several clones of N. diatas and densiflora have fertility issues where defects are accried intoi their progeny. Be very careful when making crosses using tc plants. If you have a female in flower, post a request for pollen from abroad. This might be the best way to get pollen that is worth your time and effort to make the cross and wait patiently for something to occur.
I have not come across a seed origin plant that was infertile, but have come across many tc plants that are.

If a female plant produces multiple spikes, it is best to just allow her to keep one for seeds and produce only the amount of seeds you require, plus some to share. This allows the best pods to be developed and produce viable seeds. It takes a lot of energy and nutrients to make seeds. Pitchers, growth and even side branching is halted to develop seeds.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 74.61.72.115