Old 29th June 2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Default kltower: Bangkok's Chatuchak Weekend Market

kltower
Pioneer Member

Bangkok's Chatuchak Weekend Market
« Thread Started on Dec 24, 2007, 11:06pm »
Dear All,

I was away for two weeks in Taiwan and Bangkok with my family early this month. While in Taipei, I was supposed to visit Hans 'twoton' Breuer to look at his setup. But he was sick on the Sunday we were supposed to meet up. So I ended visiting Taipei 101 with my family instead. But I did managed to see some CPs in Bangkok's Chatuchak weekend market. The market can be reached by either subway or skytrain. It is a shopper paradise. Everything you want are available here. Hope you enjoy the pixs I took.

I am sure Tarence and David will like these.

Nice ferns too.

Wide selection of moss to build instant miniature garden.

Sundew for 20 baht (RM2.20). D. burmaii? You can also have the sundew potted with instant moss in miniature pot.

Sample of moss based garden.

Paphilopedilum or slippper orchids. Common ones go for as low as 150 - 200 bahts (RM16.50 - 22.00). One species was selling for 5000 bahts (RM550)

There were only a handful selling CPs. Here are a small selection. This pinguicula in the foreground was going for 200 bahts (RM22).

And these two pots of droseras were going for 300 bahts (RM33) each! What species anyone?

I have to buy the N. thorellii (tigers and var. viking) off this sweet lass. After bargaining the plants were going for 300 bahts (RM33) each.

N. thorellii tiger without the distraction.

N. viking going for 200 bahts (RM22).

N. mirablis var. nigropurpurea going for 300 bahts (RM33).

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

Re: Bangkok's Chatuchak Weekend Market
« Reply #1 on Dec 25, 2007, 12:17am »
Waa lau wei!!! RM2.20 is really cheap man! If I were you, I would have taken the whole basket and plant them in a huge pot to get a carpet of dews. It does look like D. burmanii to me but they are rather huge. Hmm... it might be D. aliciae. But most likely burmanii. Perhaps the experts here would be able to identify them better.

The two pots of droseras that were going for 300 bahts (RM33) each looks like D. paradoxa. If not one of the wolly sundew family.

Choong, you did not get the ping? How much was it?

The viking is cheap. RM22 is cheap. Hope you got at least a pot.

Thanks for the second thoreliii tiger picture. Can see clearly now... more focus, more focus... without the "distraction"... haa, haaa....

Any amps or natural hybrid neps? In the 5th last picture, at the bottom of the picture there are 4 pots of nep plantlets. Any idea what they are?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #2 on Dec 25, 2007, 6:42pm »
the "N. mirablis var. nigropurpurea" looks more to be a N. xcoccinea

the 20baht drosera looks like D. spathulata or aliciae.. but rosetted drosera are, IMO, the hardest to ID.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
seree

« Reply #3 on Dec 25, 2007, 8:34pm »
Hi hongrui

That is a N. coccinea and D. burmanii.

Quote:the "N. mirablis var. nigropurpurea" looks more to be a N. xcoccinea

the 20baht drosera looks like D. spathulata or aliciae.. but rosetted drosera are, IMO, the hardest to ID.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #4 on Dec 26, 2007, 11:10am »
No David, I didn't get the ping. As space is premium, I have to be selective as to what to get. Beside the only ping that I ever own (from Pisces Lim) had died on me). I did get two D. burmanii. There were alot of mirablis and hybrids. No amps, but a few pots of hookeriana.

Serene, you might be right, that could be coccinea.

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged bactrus

« Reply #5 on Dec 26, 2007, 12:03pm »
Seems like a satisying trip. How did you slip pass the Thai and especially Malaysian Plant Control security?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedBA Forum Jump--------------------» Home--------------------» NOTICE BOARD--------------------- ABOUT PETPITCHER FORUM- Announcement--------------------» CARNIVOROUS PLANTS--------------------- Nepenthes --- Nepenthes Articles- Drosera --- Drosera Articles- Dionaea muscipula --- Dionaea muscipula Articles- Sarracenia --- Sarracenia Articles- Pinguicula --- Pinguicula Articles- Cephalotus --- Cephalotus Articles- Utricularia --- Utricularia Articles- Byblis --- Byblis Articles- Heliamphora --- Heliamphora Articles- Other Carnivourous Plants --- Carnivorous Plants Articles- All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants --- All Stuff On CPs Archive- Carnivorous Plants in the Wild- Plant ID corner--------------------» resource--------------------- Where To Get What? --- "Where To Get What" Archive- Book / Movie Review--------------------» members corner--------------------- Introduction- Interaction- Grow List- Projects --- Projects Articles--------------------» market place--------------------- Stuff To Sell- Stuff To Exchange / Give Away- Wanted Stuff- Group Purchase--------------------» PLANTS THAT DO NOT EAT INSECTS--------------------- Non Carnivorous Plants --- Where To Get What? Archive --- Market Place --- Tillandsias and Bromelaids --- Staghorn Fern --- Ant Plants --- Orchids
Click Here To Make This Board Ad-Free

This Board Hosted For FREE By ProBoards
Get Your Own Free Message Board!