Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Default lamentime: Putting Nepenthes into tissue culture

lamentime

Putting Nepenthes into tissue culture
« Thread Started on Jun 8, 2008, 12:25pm »
Hay guys. I'm looking for some advice on starting a tissue culture line.

What I want to do is firstly create a very easy, very vigorous Nepenthes hybrid. Not quite my ideal, but I am in the midst of crossing N. burkeii x venticosa with the super hardy ventricosa k, which should yield some extremely easy plants with nice variation in shape and color.

Then, I want to be able to put some seeds into tissue culture. How do I go about doing this, and what are the probable costs? Do I need a whole lab, or can I do this at home?

Then, once I have a tc line established, I'll need to grow out the clones and see which one are favorable to keep. Whatever I keep I want to hopefully introduce into the mass market, and sell them the same way ventratas are. Ventratas have their status as the most common grocery store Nepenthes because of their ease of growth. While (burkeii x ventricosa) x ventricosa K isn't a super interesting cross, to the average consumer with a passing interest in carnivorous plants, they should be more interesting, nicer looking, and possibly easier growing than a ventrata. So that'll hopefully give the cross room to form a niche of its own.

That is, however, later down the line. My immediate focus is on how do I start out with tissue culture? All advice is greatly appreciated .

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged mat29

Re: Putting Nepenthes into tissue culture
« Reply #1 on Jun 11, 2008, 7:27pm »
Laugh Out Loud.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged victoria

The ignorance of man stains the land!

« Reply #2 on Jun 12, 2008, 1:59am »
Cant say I know much about doing TC...I did come across this site a while ago, hope it helps you.
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows." Epictetus

"We are disturbed not by events, but by the views which we take of them." Epictetus

A person who draws conclusions without having Knowledge is a fool.
bujangteruna

« Reply #3 on Jun 12, 2008, 10:39am »
Dear lamentime,
I have checked the website suggested by victoria and its good. I have an experience in plant tissue culture for orchids,bananas and edible mushrooms. i would like to suggest that you make a thorough study on microbiological perspectives- things like how to prevent microbial contamination, how to create a sterile working bench etc as this would be among the major point that leads to your success. The media that you gonna use might play and important role as well. Honestly I do not trust a homemade media as i found it is difficult to deal with. Commercial media works better plus its hassle free. One thing for sure- do not expect for a 100% success with tissue culture as different plant might need different requirement.