Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:21 PM

Default Wild mirabilis-Should I save it?

Hi everybody, I'm bringing up this important matter to all of you.

I was cycling with my dad during this evening along a hillside road when I caught sight of a nep flower inflorescence. Excited, I quickly climbed the hill and discovered that it was a nepenthes mirabilis! It was quite a nice plant with a stem about 1.5-2 metres long. The plant also appeared to be scrambling along the grassy terrain of the hill with pitchers forming under the shady protection of the grass. There was a basal growing next to it. The flower was a male (I'm guessing as I didn't get a good look!). Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera along, so I shall be taking pics of the plant tomorrow.

Imagine the joy I was having as this was practically my first encounter of a wild Nepenthes! However my joy was short-lived when my dad told me that the road around this area would be extended and the plant will be removed during the process due to a housing construction that will commence soon. This would mean the plant would have only another year or two before it's demise! Thus it has led me to this dilemma: should I save it?

I'm thinking of leaving it to grow naturally until the time arrives when the road is to be extended. What do you think?

Plus, it's quite a nice looking mirabilis. The peristome was around half a centimetre thick with a reddish ring at the outer side. All opinions will be most appreciated!

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!