Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default srduggins: Mutants!

srduggins

Neps R Us!

Mutants!
« Thread Started on Dec 15, 2007, 5:09am »
I've been noticing a fair number of mutant Nepenthes lately. These are one time mutations, not a total freak of nature. Everything from flowers:

To siamese leaf emergence:

To gnarly looking pitchers:

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine -- steve Ludwig

Re: Mutants!
« Reply #1 on Dec 15, 2007, 7:07am »
Nice! I especially like the 3rd photo.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged seree

« Reply #2 on Dec 15, 2007, 11:04pm »
Hi What is the female?
it a mira?
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2007, 11:06pm by seree »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged periukkera

« Reply #3 on Dec 17, 2007, 12:14pm »
This morning my first mutant single male flower is blooming. About 3.5cm in diameter.

Who interested the pollen please send PM.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Dec 17, 2007, 12:40pm »
is this the plant you were telling me about?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
wijaya

Pride of Sumatra

« Reply #5 on Dec 17, 2007, 9:28pm »
Is this also in mutant category?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged srduggins

Neps R Us!

« Reply #6 on Dec 18, 2007, 12:04am »
Wow, that's pretty unusual. Looks like the plant is cold and just doesn't want to open its leaves or untuck its tendril tips, or a growth spurt that's too fast for the plant. I wonder if it might be mites.

There you go Randie, bragging about size again! Seriously, that is one big flower. Does it always do that?

I don't know if the tiny flower is female, but it would be scary to try pollinating it with Randie's big flower. His one flower is bigger than that whole cluster of flowers. I doubt it's even fertile. It's not mira, probably a raff, maxima or maxima x veitchii. I'll try to remember to check next time I visit.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007, 12:05am by srduggins »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine -- steve periukkera

« Reply #7 on Dec 18, 2007, 10:57am »
Hi Steve, i'm glad to see you here. This is first time he producing flower and it’s so strange. How about my mutant raff crossing with your mutant female, I think this would be a great match. « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007, 11:13am by periukkera »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged wijaya

Pride of Sumatra

« Reply #8 on Dec 18, 2007, 10:33pm »
@srdudgins
Hopefully it is not mites, will double check thanks for reminding me.
Cold is out of questions, I am in a tropical climate, should be too hot I think. he..he..
I will take that the growth spurt is too fast for the plants, anyway will just see what happen in the next few weeks.
Thanks,
Ed

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ischan

« Reply #9 on Dec 29, 2007, 8:55pm »
That single male flower looks really funny! I'm sorry, you probably don't think it's very funny though.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged agustinfranco

« Reply #10 on Dec 30, 2007, 6:46am »
Hi all:

My first post on this forum. yeah . Mutations usually are irreversible and not temporary. I think most of you are experiencing stunted growth due to plants growing after a temperature, humidity or light shock. The photo with one flower is definitely a mutant.

I used to inadvertently abuse my plants when i first started this hobby which has become a lifestyle for me: to some extent , and i can relate to this type of weird growth patterns for the plants. Steve, hopefully they'll grow the way they are supposed to by April next year or a bit longer to recover from whatever shocked them.

Gus
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2007, 6:47am by agustinfranco »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged rainforestguy

« Reply #11 on Dec 31, 2007, 9:00am »
Jorje experienced this odd bracting flower on his nepenthes a while ago. This appeared temporary as subsequent flowers were normal. The freakish nature of this "sunflower" appearance may be due to various physiological damage or inadvertently through chemical or even changes in temperature, humidity and or lighting.
Watch how the plant behaves in its subsequent floral characteristics.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhttp://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi phissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #12 on Dec 31, 2007, 4:05pm »
Is that thing fertile?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNatura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
Forum Jump--------------------» Home--------------------» NOTICE BOARD--------------------- ABOUT PETPITCHER FORUM- Announcement--------------------» CARNIVOROUS PLANTS--------------------- Nepenthes --- Nepenthes Articles- Drosera --- Drosera Articles- Dionaea muscipula --- Dionaea muscipula Articles- Sarracenia --- Sarracenia Articles- Pinguicula --- Pinguicula Articles- Cephalotus --- Cephalotus Articles- Utricularia --- Utricularia Articles- Byblis --- Byblis Articles- Heliamphora --- Heliamphora Articles- Other Carnivourous Plants --- Carnivorous Plants Articles- All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants --- All Stuff On CPs Archive- Carnivorous Plants in the Wild- Plant ID corner--------------------» resource--------------------- Where To Get What? --- "Where To Get What" Archive- Book / Movie Review--------------------» members corner--------------------- Introduction- Interaction- Grow List- Projects --- Projects Articles--------------------» market place--------------------- Stuff To Sell- Stuff To Exchange / Give Away- Wanted Stuff- Group Purchase--------------------» PLANTS THAT DO NOT EAT INSECTS--------------------- Non Carnivorous Plants --- Where To Get What? Archive --- Market Place --- Tillandsias and Bromelaids --- Staghorn Fern --- Ant Plants --- Orchids
Click Here To Make This Board Ad-Free

This Board Hosted For FREE By ProBoards
Get Your Own Free Message Board!