Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 02:35 AM
Technical Administrator

Default ericsow: Pinguicula from Cameron highland

ericsow

Pinguicula from Cameron highland
« Thread Started on Dec 25, 2007, 7:13pm »
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I get three Pings from Cameron Highland yesterday, and I need your expertise to ID them. I read quite a number of Ping thread, Most Ping like more sun and water?

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

Re: Pinguicula from Cameron highland
« Reply #1 on Dec 25, 2007, 8:05pm »
eric eric eric,

where on earth in CH did you find those Pinguiculas????

I search all over CH over 2 days period but couldn't find even one, the same goes for Droseras too...

I only found lot's of neps.- both TC & 'org asli' and some sarracenias at this one nursery.

As for IDing them... hehhehe... can't help you much there... but I think I see a Mexican Ping and a P. gigantea, but not too sure l...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
ericsow

« Reply #2 on Dec 25, 2007, 10:04pm »
Athene,

The first Ping I found at Cameron night market. During offering price with seller, he told me that Cactus Valley is selling more expensive. Then I get it at RM15 and RM9 for Tillandsia Cotton Candy.

Next day morning I went to Cactus Valley buy 2nd and 3rd Ping. They selling one pot of Ping at RM17 but if you buy 2 pots cost RM30.

Afternoon I went down near to Ringlet buy Nep from org asli, Red and green Cameron N. Sanguinea RM10 and two small N. ampularia only RM4.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #3 on Dec 25, 2007, 10:30pm »
You lucky fella,

I've been looking out for Pings in Cameron Highlands everytime I am there but have not found them. hey, if they have it in CH, they might be available at nurseries in Kuala Lumpur. Will check it out. Did not see any in Sg. buloh last week when I was there snooping around.

I think they are from YG nursery. I got one plant from Wilson in Sabah a couple of weeks ago. Also a sundew and Wilson and Tarence suspect that they are from YG Park in Cameron Highlands. It seesm they export the plants. If this is true, I guess it's because they did not find the local market viable enough. We've got to get more Cpers and influence them to bring mroe in and sell locally.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007, 10:35pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Dec 25, 2007, 11:02pm »
David,
Pings are hard to ID without their flowers unless by their forms. Yours all look like they got moranensis parentage in them. What other parentage could be further determined by looking at the flowers. The second one looks rather P. x 'Sethos' given the colour and the shape of the leaves...but then again I can't be sure because under different light conditions, some Pings can look quite different.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ericsow

« Reply #5 on Dec 26, 2007, 2:00pm »
Athene,

For your info, there is a lot Drosera capensis at CH. I cant confirmed that is capensis or not but for me it is. ( I believe those are quite something there)

David,

I was spent 3 days 2 night at CH. Search high and low for every nursery and plant shop. I get the 1st Ping at night market, the seller selling sarracenias ( not in good shape) and airplant. VFT, Sarracenias and Drosera still sell at expensive price compared to sg buluh.

Cindy,

If those plant cant be identified, I will leave them with one inch of water level at this moment. The 3rd ping going to flower soon. Hope this help me to identify it.

« Reply #6 on Dec 26, 2007, 2:14pm »
David, you did the right comment. I just discovered that three of my Pings' pot with "YG quality plant" printing
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged sockhom

« Reply #7 on Dec 26, 2007, 5:26pm »
Hello guys !

That's quite funny to see that it's so hard for you to find CP such as Pinguicula and Drosera. Here, it's the contrary: we can buy loads of different sundews and butterworts but ampullaria variations for example (apart from the speckeld, tricolor, red and green ones) are very hard to find.

Friendly,

François.

Administrator

« Reply #8 on Dec 27, 2007, 8:52am »
You are lucky François to be able to find so many cps in Fance. The plant business and market here is quite different. There is a dire need for good cultivation information, especially with the majority of nursery owners.

The producers or suppliers do not share cultivatin information with nursery people and growers readily. There are a few reasons for this and that is why one of the aim of this forum is to inform growers, share cultivation tips and plants.

Because of the lack of information, the Cps that are carried by the nurseries start to decline in health after a while. Some of them looks like they are merely existing after a couple of weeks and some die. You will find many nurseries place their sarras, drosera and vfts in the shade if they carry them. I tried to tell a nursery once to place their VFTs and Sarras out under the sun and I get a nasty stare and rude reply saying that that's not the way to grow them. I wasn't trying to be a smart guy by telling them. Just felt sad for the situation the plants were in.

This causes the nursery owners to shy away from carrying these plants in their nursery as they are afraid of making a loss. The general idea is these plants are difficult to care for. But it's just because they've been missinformed or they did not have information at all.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2007, 9:04am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ericsow

« Reply #9 on Dec 28, 2007, 1:08am »
David, let go visiting YG park. I just get another YG product but not IDed.
Administrator

« Reply #10 on Dec 28, 2007, 8:49am »
What did you get? What did you get?

You're talking about visiting YG Park nursery? have to call them up for an appointment and they usually do not entertain buyers like us unless we are buying in bulk from them. They'll usually ask us to go to their retail shop at Cactus Valley. But I can try.

When do you want to go. I need to discuss with my "Minister of Home Affairs" first. Chances are slim but I can try. Most probably if I go it would be a day trip.

By the way, how does the droseras look like? Are the leaves elongated or spoon shaped?

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ericsow

« Reply #11 on Dec 28, 2007, 10:38am »

Quote:What did you get? What did you get?

You're talking about visiting YG Park nursery? have to call them up for an appointment and they usually do not entertain buyers like us unless we are buying in bulk from them. They'll usually ask us to go to their retail shop at Cactus Valley. But I can try.

When do you want to go. I need to discuss with my "Minister of Home Affairs" first. Chances are slim but I can try. Most probably if I go it would be a day trip.

By the way, how does the droseras look like? Are the leaves elongated or spoon shaped?

David, it look like elongated as D. capensis. The whole highland is selling same type and some even put it at the corner, I guess they should quite sometime at there.

We can try organise a group visit or wait till chinese new year, I ask my cameron local friend to check it out.

« Reply #12 on Dec 28, 2007, 9:18pm »

Urgent, is this Ping not required water tray?

« Reply #13 on Dec 30, 2007, 1:39pm »
David, this type of drosera found at CH.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on Dec 30, 2007, 9:31pm »
D. nidiformis
Administrator

« Reply #15 on Dec 31, 2007, 12:06pm »
Thanks Cindy. I suspected that it was nidiformis but was not sure. I got a plant myself through Wilson in Sabah. He got it from a market.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ericsow

« Reply #16 on Jan 1, 2008, 11:11pm »
Hi all,

My Ping show a “Kamen Rider” to suprise me.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on Jan 2, 2008, 8:17am »
Wow, Eric, my pings have NEVER flowered for me before...congrats.

David : we got our d.nidiformis from Andy Penang ....he bought it from a nursery. We got a ping from Wilson.....btw, how is your ping & d.nidiformis ? my ping has turned copper colour after getting sun & the sundew is flowering non-stop.

Administrator

« Reply #18 on Jan 2, 2008, 9:02am »
Oh yes, yes, sorry Andy. My memory betray me again. My Ping has also turned copper colour under grow lights but the new leaves seem to have curl upwards a little.

The nidiformis is doing fine... at the moment. Most of the original leaves on the plant have died off but there's a lot of new leaves and dews. Don't know how long it will last in my conditions. As what hongrui mentioned before when I got my first nidiformis from Wee teck of Singapore, the plant will do well for a while in warmer conditions but will stop growing or die off later. he's right. That plant I got from Wee teck has died last week Will see if this plant survive.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on Jan 2, 2008, 8:30pm »
Eric,
The flowering Ping is the plant in your 3rd photo right? There was a bud already showing in the pic!

Now you'll just have to post the picture of the flower for ID. Try Terraforums 'cos there are more Ping growers there. Jeff from France (not sure if he is here but he is on GCS) is also very good with ID.