Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > MEMBERS CORNER > Introduction

Introduction Introduce and tell us a little about yourself

Old 16th September 2008, 12:28 AM

Default Hello from Panama!

I just wanted to say hello from the Republic of Panama to everyone, I am new to this forum so you will probably see me hanging out from now on. I have been cultivating and collecting carnivorous plants for about 2-3 years now. I really love all genera of carnivores, but Nepenthes is probably my favorite CP genus. Anyways, I am including my personal grow list on this post and I am looking forward to sharing ideas, pics and information with everyone.

Grow List

Sarracenia

S. rubra
S. flava
S. purpurea

Drosera

D. capensis
D. adelae
D. spathulata

Dionea

D. muscipula ‘Classic Green’
D. muscipula ‘Dente’

Heliamphora

H. heterodoxa x minor

Nepenthes

Species:
N. ventricosa ‘Red’
N. reinwardtiana ‘Green’
N. rafflesiana ‘Giant Form’
N. truncata ‘Pasian’
N. ampullaria ‘Red Speckled’
N. sanguinea ‘Green’

Hybrids:
N. ventrata (alata x ventricosa)
N. ‘Gardentech’ (ampullaria x ventricosa ‘red’)
N. clipeata x eyemae
N. ‘Red Leopard’ (ventricosa x maxima)

Alright then, later everybody!

Grow List
Old 16th September 2008, 07:02 AM
Advisor
Senior Global Moderator

Default Re: Hello from Panama!

Hi Pananep and welcoem to the forum. That is a good little list you have there. Do you have any trouble sourcing plants in Pananma? There is a sectionn for growlists, you should post your collection there and check out some of teh others. There are some great collectinos out there. Cheers.
Old 16th September 2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Hi there Pananep. I understand that Panama has a tropical climate and the temperatures is similar to Malaysia around the range of 32 degrees celcius during the day and 21 degrees celcius at night, with very high humidity.

I've have a H. heterodoxa x minor too and was wondering how you grow yours. Mine do not seem to grow although the plant looks ok. Perhaps I should place it in the garden. At the moment it is in my terrarium where humidity is 80%. But temperatures are around 32-34 degrees celcius during the day. Night time temperatures around 25-29 degrees. Perhaps the lighting is not enough.

Would apreciate yoru explaination on how you gor your Heliam. Tks

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 16th September 2008, 11:40 AM

David,
I grow my heli in a terrarium as well. The terrarium is lit by three fixtures each with two 17W cool white bulbs. My day temperatures are about the same as yours, perhaps a little lower due to the fact that the terrarium is in an apartment on a 27th floor. I do however, on really hot days, run the AC unit in the room to keep the terrarium from overheating with the added heat given off by the fixtures. I also tend to turn the AC on most nights which can bring temperatures inside the terraium at around 23-24 degrees celcius. I got my heli from a friend who divided his a couple of months ago. The plant was very small with immature pitchers only. Thus far the plant has put out one pitcher that shows mature characteristics, allthough it is not of great size. The plant has good coloration and grows, allthough very slowly. My friend who gave me the plant grows his in a terrarium as well, but he lives in an area of the U.S. were temperatures are milder.
I am a fan of growing plants outside though, and as soon as I can divide my heli I will be able to do some experimentation. Let me know how it goes for you if you decide to try your heli outside.
Anyways, hope this helps and good luck!

Grow List
Old 16th September 2008, 01:36 PM

Hi! Pananep...welcome..nice to meet u...
Wish u have more fun at here...
Old 16th September 2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Pananep,

Hmm, maybe the problem for me is the high temperatures at night.. Thanks for your explaination. Appreciate it.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 17th September 2008, 03:03 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

Hi Pananep,

Welcome on board. Panama.... ooh, a very far away place from us here in Malaysia. Happy to have you here in the forum, hope you enjoy here and please do share your growing expereince with us, we are more then willingly to learn.