Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Default lisham: Full Sun vs Shaded, Light

lisham

Full Sun vs Shaded, Lights vs Temperature
« Thread Started on Jul 1, 2007, 12:18pm » Yo guys/gals,

I have a question, when we talk about full sun and shades (50%, 75% etc), are we refering to light intensity or temperature?

I'm asking this because I have a second balcony at the back of my apartment and am planning to have another babylon (hanging garden) there. The balcony is facing the side which receive full sun from sunrise to until 6 pm.

I'm asking you guys/gals this because if you say this side is OK to have CPs then I'm going to go to the bank and take some money, pay my landlord early and ask him about installing that hanging garden thingy.

My main balcony is a little bit crowded as the n. x ventrata is growing like neps on crack (no lewd ref here... crack=drug). I know most of my neps love bright bright condition.

I'm still confused with the term full sun- does it mean hot and bright? Or is it just bright, hot is optional?

How bout shades- Less hot and less bright? Or less bright, less hot is optional?

Hope you guys can give your opinion here...

Thanks a bunch...

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.201.144 tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Full Sun vs Shaded, Lights vs Temperature
« Reply #1 on Jul 1, 2007, 12:43pm » Full sun = bright & hot. ( We can`t control the heat )

Otherwise it`ll just be bright area, away from indirect sun

Shade = light intensity.

Have you seen the black netting in nurseries ? It`s something like that. If you imagine a black cloth & start poking holes into 50% of it, then it`s letting 50% light thru.

If it`s too hot in Langkawi, you might want to consider having some water feature i.e. urns to bring down the heat....

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.106.139.163 zakhren

I'm back!

Re: Full Sun vs Shaded, Lights vs Temperature
« Reply #2 on Jul 1, 2007, 4:39pm » Full sun = Direct unobstructed sun for 6-10 hours of the day.

Part sun = Direct unobstructed sun for 3-4 hours of the day and bright shade for the rest of the day. (Preferably the first half of the day eg. from 8am-12pm direct sun, morning sun is cooler)

Bright shade = As sunny as it can be without the sun actually hitting the plant. Like at the edge of rooftop. However when I say bright shade I mean it also gets 1-2 hours direct sun as early as possible eg. direct sun from 8-10am.

When we talk about % shade, we mean shadecloth. Well I do anyway. When you buy shadecloth from like Ace Hardware, the bag says 50% shade. But that doesn't mean if you fold it over for 2 layers you get 100% shade. I would actually call that 70% shade. I personally don't like to use shadecloth. If you want shade like that put the plant under a tree. You don't have to be exact with plants. I don't have a suitable tree so I keep my neps using bright shade (see above ).

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.94.116.94