Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Default cindy: N. mirabilis x thorelii

cindy
Global Moderator

N. mirabilis x thorelii
« Thread Started on Aug 2, 2007, 11:17pm » Hi David, remember them? The pitchers are turning out very red.

Younger pitcher

Current pitcher

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.155.12 David
Administrator

member is online

Re: N. mirabilis x thorelii
« Reply #1 on Aug 3, 2007, 9:33am » My pitchers are also like that but the peristome seem very green. With the nectar on it, it looks like it is matelic green. Hey, your plant is very healthy. I think yours look bigger leh. « Last Edit: Aug 3, 2007, 9:35am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on Aug 3, 2007, 10:28am » I feel like i`m intruding into a private chat of sorts...ahem...knock knock.....heheh.
I have one too...the whole plant is red, leaves & pitcher. will try to post the pic during the weekend, it`s a baby though.
Btw David, i read some of Chien Lee`s growing tips which i printed from last time for n.adnata...he suggested heavy shading so i`ve put mine under quite filtered conditions...that could be why mine is pitcher shy...it used to be exposed to morning sun fully....

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.106.226.7 isaacgoh

« Reply #3 on Aug 3, 2007, 11:47am » Mine (from David) is smaller compared to yours. It's showing more red now but it's only from inside coming out. Not as red as yours.

Here's a pic of the plant 1 month back. It has grown much bigger now. Biggest pitcher slightly more than 1 inch. Grown in terrarium until it's bigger to move out into the balcony.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.51.206.97 kltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #4 on Aug 3, 2007, 11:57am » Cindy,

Welcome to the Malaysian forum. I hope you don't spend too much time on these forums and neglect your other half.

Choong

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.197.94 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Aug 3, 2007, 9:49pm » The pitcher is about 2". I've got three plants in one pot. Probably will not attempt to separate them. I'll take a photo of the plants later.

Choong, don't worry. I cook dinner for my husband almost every night....then while he washes the dishes, I go onto the forums.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.116 rainforestguy

« Reply #6 on Aug 4, 2007, 11:38am » May I make one cultural suggestion. While N. mirabilis is a water lover, seedlings actually grow faster when they are allowed to dry off in between waterings. Especially after being fertilized (you do fertilize don't you?) having fresh plain water flushed through them is a must for good growth spurts. The water brings O2 to the roots.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 74.61.72.115http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on Aug 5, 2007, 9:35am » rainforestguy: thx for the tip !

here is what my nep looks like....

too much sun ya think ? i`m not sure why it`s all red.....this is same nep from David....i do not see any burnt markings on the leaves & the CP seems to be perfectly healthy & thriving, just diff colour....
« Last Edit: Aug 5, 2007, 10:13am by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top 210.186.51.95 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on Aug 5, 2007, 11:08am » Tarence, all of our hybrids came fom seeds so you probably got the seedling which is prone to turning red in very bright light. Although my pitchers are as red as yours, the leaves are only tinted red. Do you have it in direct sunlight for a good part of the day? Perhaps I should move mine since it is in bright shade most of the time.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.115 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #9 on Aug 5, 2007, 8:44pm » Cindy,
I'll post pictures of my little plantlet in the next 2 days. Just taken new pictures yesterday.

« Last Edit: Aug 6, 2007, 9:17am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #10 on Aug 6, 2007, 9:15am » Ok, lets discuss the cultivation of N. adnata in a new thread. I've moved all the earlier posts to a new thread. « Last Edit: Aug 6, 2007, 9:18am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #11 on Aug 6, 2007, 1:51pm » Ok, picture of the plant when it was just a baby...

Now it's a todler...

A little kid...

Couple of months ago...

Latest Pixs taken on Saturday...

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on Aug 6, 2007, 1:59pm » Very nice David.....you sacrificed your lunch time to post pics ? heheh.

How come it`s leaves were reddish like mine when it was smaller ? Did you change the conditions as it grew bigger i.e. under growlites when it was smaller, moved to your living room when it got bigger ?

Link to Post - Back to Top 203.106.226.7 isaacgoh

« Reply #13 on Aug 6, 2007, 4:11pm » Wow, David, Yours is lovely.

I checked my plant this morning in the terrarium. It had a growth spurt over the past few weeks, now it's too big to stay there.

I'm moving it out to the Balcony!! It will finally see real daylight! Hopefully they will turn out to be like yours and the rest who posted.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #14 on Aug 6, 2007, 5:54pm » Hi Tarence,

No laa, not so zrazy as to sacrifice my lunch. Must eat. If I don't eat I cannot funtion properly. Food is very important.

Nope! I did not change the environment. It was in under artificial lights when it was a baby plantlet. Now it is still under artificial lights. I also don know why the leaves changed to greenish colour.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on Aug 6, 2007, 8:58pm » Lovely pitchers! I like the high peristome which is similar to thorelii. David, I don't see very much of mirabilis in your plant except for the longer waist. Colour and speckling on the inside of the pitcher is very thorelii.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.114 rainforestguy

« Reply #16 on Aug 7, 2007, 4:36am » The seedlings appear very well grown and the plant already has a natural color of red in it, so the sun just brings it out better!

I like seeing more lowland species used in breeding.

I'll try to post a few pics of highland stuff crossed to lowland species.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 74.61.72.115http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #17 on Aug 7, 2007, 9:01am » Hmm, perhaps this seedling has more thorelii genes than mirabilis. All the plantlets of this hybrid that I gave out to everybody are from the same batch of seeds.

I think this is what makes it more fun growing neps from seeds besides the joy of seeing them germinated and grow. It is the little differences of each individual plant. It's like what Forest Gump would say..."My mom always says life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what ya gonna get!". Kinda like a surprise when you open a present.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist bifurcatum

« Reply #18 on Sept 14, 2007, 2:09pm » Mine growing out basall shoots!

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.78.55