Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia

Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 2nd July 2008, 01:01 PM

Default David : Nepenthes Sightseeing Trip

Topic: (Read 321 times)David
Administrator

Nepenthes Sightseeing Trip
« Thread Started on Dec 31, 2007, 9:35am » Just sharing pictures of a trip I went yesterday with TS and Jonathan. Jonathan found this site and took us there yesterday. It was a great trip as this was the first time I came face to face with wild N. ampullaria. I was thrill! I think TS felt the same too. This site is north of Kuala Lumpur at the outskirts of town.

There are N. mirabilis, N. gracilis and N. ampullaria growing together in this area. N. mirabilis seem to have dominated this area. The second largest population would be N. gracilis and a small population of ampularia.

My only regret was we did not find any red amp. Was hopping to see wild red amps. I think they are rare in Peninsular Malaysia.

TS, do share your pcitures as well ok.

Enjoy...

N. ampullaria and N. mirabilis plantlets growing side by side...

N. ampullaria with cream colour and a tinch of reddish coloration on the peristome. We just gasps at this fella and stared at it. We only found one plant like that in this location.

Another angle of the same plant...

N. ampullaria green form...

Digging our way into the grass where the ampullaria is hidden. This is the green form again...

This is the largest ampullaria we found there. Of course still cannot compare to the giants that Robert finds in Sarawak...

N. ampullaria speckle...

I like this plant. The picthers are 3 layers from the ground...

N. ampullaria upper pitcher. So cute...

N. ampullaria pitcher growing from the vine of an old plant...

Whole plant of the ampullaria....

As you can see in the picture below the basel pitchers are hidden under the grass while only the vine grows out for the sun. The pitchers maintain its colous in the dark, cool and damp conditions in the bushes.

N. ampullaria plantlets...

N. mirabilis...

This is mirabilis has a really red luscious "lips" (peristome)...

Lower picther of N. mirabilis...

A particularly red picther with red peristome. It's blood red...

N. mirabilis plantlets growing in a clump...

A mirabilis with a particularly broad and thick peristome. However, the colour is cream to yellow...

N. mirabilis climbing up a tree...

This N. mirabilis has been exposed to direct sun and its stems turned all red. Quite beautiful...

N. mirabilis ripen seeds and developing seed pods...

N. gracilis...

Found some hybrids...

N. mirabilis x ampullaria. I think this is a cross between a green amp and green mirabilis or it might be N. mirabilis x (mirabilis x ampullaria)...

This might be a green amp with a red mirabilis. This hybrid seem to be more stout following the amp parent more..

N. gracilis x mirabilis with nice red/maroon picthers...

The landscape and area where the plants grow...

TS taking a picture of the amp that we have just found as Jonathan looks on. Just look at the excitment on TS face...

TS again taking pictures of the neps...

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007, 2:24pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistDavid
Administrator

Re: Nepenthes Sightseeing Trip
« Reply #1 on Dec 31, 2007, 9:58am » Just a note, the media in this location has alot of clay with loose sand and clay at the top covered by a layer of leaf debris. The soil in some areas are wet and some ares with puddles of water with bushes and plants growing over them.

In this last picture above, you can see that the media is quite dry. This are is more open and exposed to sun. However, the soild is damp about 2-4 inches below.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistsweethalo

« Reply #2 on Dec 31, 2007, 11:45am » wow so nice to see them growing well in the wild! Link to Post - Back to Top 202.156.14.10Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #3 on Dec 31, 2007, 1:09pm » interesting, the habitat shows so much similarity found around kuching. Thanks for sharing, David. Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.14.98cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Dec 31, 2007, 11:10pm » Some of the pictures I snapped.

Close-up of a green N. amp.

another one.

The red lips N. amp from a different angle.

The green N. amp climbing up the slope. New pitchers keep emerging along the old vine.
This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

The N.gracilis and N. Ampullaria growing side by side.
This image is reduced by 25%, click it to view full size.

N mirabilis climbing up the tree, the pitchers hanging down every where. The seeds are not ripen yet.

I like this bunch of N mirabilis particularly on the colourful apperance.

Found another broad peristome N mirabilis, is this similar to echinostoma form?

A pure green form of N mirabilis. Quite huge in size.
This image is reduced by 2%, click it to view full size.

Pink colour form.

I found this triangular shaped lip N mirabilis, according to David that's common on N. mirabilis. This plant has fatter pitcher.
This image is reduced by 4%, click it to view full size.

There are some parts where almost nepenthes every where, there is no way we could pass through without stepping on one. I accidently stepped right on a bunch of ampullaria pitchers, felt bad after I did it, they are all hidden underneath the grass, we don't even know they are just right in front of us!
Anyway, I was happy with this trip. Can you imagine how three of us screaming and yelling from different locations when we found something interesting, haha, I bet everyone will do the same when you are there.
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.72.245TSphissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #5 on Jan 1, 2008, 7:16pm » Cactus,

The "echinostoma" form has a broad peristome, but the defining characteristic is that the peristome is "spiny". Echino = spines. Think echinoderms
« Last Edit: Jan 2, 2008, 4:52am by phissionkorps »Link to Post - Back to Top 98.200.57.162Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
cactustts

« Reply #6 on Jan 1, 2008, 10:34pm » Hi phissionkorps, may I know which part of "stem" you are referring to? I'm interested to know more of this form. Thanks for your explanation. Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.245.89TSrainforestguy

« Reply #7 on Jan 2, 2008, 2:46am » Very interesting shots. I am still amazed how nepenthes seems to always grow with that false staghorn fern. I am sure a shared interest is occurring and it may be fungal symbiosis or something.

I like the way that many species grow together in harmony.

Happy New Year (Gregorian) and looking forward to the actual new year (Feb 7) when the cycle begins again.

M
Link to Post - Back to Top 74.61.72.115http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgiphissionkorps
Advisor - Nepenthes

if you don't grow from seed, toughen up!

« Reply #8 on Jan 2, 2008, 4:51am »
Quote: Hi phissionkorps, may I know which part of "stem" you are referring to?
No, because I don't even know what the hell I was talking about lol. I meant to say peristome haha
« Last Edit: Jan 2, 2008, 4:51am by phissionkorps »Link to Post - Back to Top 98.200.57.162Natura non facit saltum
Species seed is worth its weight in platinum
Valhalla when I die
isaacgoh

« Reply #9 on Jan 2, 2008, 10:47am » Wow,

Seems like a nice trip. Can't imagine these ****es are so close to our concrete jungle.

Nice red lips (although not totally), I wonder what causes the slight mutation.

« Last Edit: Jan 2, 2008, 10:47am by isaacgoh »Link to Post - Back to Top 60.51.206.97cactustts

« Reply #10 on Jan 2, 2008, 1:26pm »
Quote: No, because I don't even know what the hell I was talking about lol. I meant to say peristome haha

Haha, OK OK
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.48.110