Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default avery: Drosera show from Hong Kong (Read 223 times)

avery

Drosera show from Hong Kong
« Thread Started on 28 Oct, 2007, 22:44 »Some more photos for sharing ~

This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedavery

Re: Drosera show from Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on 28 Oct, 2007, 22:45 »This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

« Reply #2 on 28 Oct, 2007, 22:46 »This image is reduced by 30%, click it to view full size.

« Reply #3 on 28 Oct, 2007, 22:47 »

Drosera scorpioides

« Reply #4 on 28 Oct, 2007, 22:55 »This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

« Last Edit: 28 Oct, 2007, 22:56 by avery »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #5 on 28 Oct, 2007, 23:37 »Hi Chan, thanks for posting . They are all beautiful,a class of their own, love the D.scorpioides lighting with dark background. « Last Edit: 29 Oct, 2007, 7:07 by Robert »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedavery

« Reply #6 on 28 Oct, 2007, 23:55 »Thanks Robert, I couldn't find my drosera links in my photo album .. I think I may have to organize a bit posting photos ... I will post some more pygmy and others later ~

avery
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedjonathan

« Reply #7 on 29 Oct, 2007, 3:30 »
Hi avery... they are all so gorgeous.... wow..... wish i would have a collection like that.... but hard.... anyway thanks for all those beautiful photo...

Best regards Jonathan
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedA dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #8 on 29 Oct, 2007, 7:18 »Nice! avery, how are you growing your pygmies? do they give you problems in HK's summer? especially D.scorpioides? my D. scorpioides are either dormant or dead after a week or 2 of hot weather in september. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
avery

« Reply #9 on 29 Oct, 2007, 9:03 »Thanks Jonathan and Hong ~

Actually I grow drosera for about a year and I don't have much experience ... I can only recall the facts happened in the past year ... Hope the info helps ...

Yes, some pygmies did experience some hard time during summer time as we have the same temperature ranges as you in Singapore at that time. However, most of the pygmies grew well eventhough they were receiving almost full sunlight. I am not sure whether they establish better in cooler weather before they can start tolearating the heat ...

Just like most of the people, I sow the gemmae in winter simply placing the pots in a tray of water and they seem to like it ~ 50:50 peat sand ratio works well for me. Some say tray method have to be avoided in hot summer but accidentally I have forgotten all about that until fall comes ... I did lose some of the pygmies but I still have success growing most ot them for almost a year from winter through summer including scorpioides . Some of them are starting to form gemmae and I will have a new experience collecting gemmae soon. ~

Robert, concerning the black background , I think it is difficult to create such a contrast except the plants are tall .. such as scorpioides ... Most of the pygmies and my favorite petiolaris complex falconeri are short and lie almost flat on the soil surface. This make phototaking difficult as the only background is the soil ... Peat is dark in colour but I don't think I dare to try pure peat growing pygmy ... Better example could be adding fine white sands on the soil surface in the case of those reddish pygmies. White red contrast will be equal attrative ~ I don't have chance this year and I will try to do it in the next gemmae season ... ( coming ~ )
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #10 on 29 Oct, 2007, 14:14 »All I can say is... WOW! Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy WantlistRobert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #11 on 29 Oct, 2007, 19:27 »
Quote:
Robert, concerning the black background , I think it is difficult to create such a contrast except the plants are tall .. such as scorpioides ... Most of the pygmies and my favorite petiolaris complex falconeri are short and lie almost flat on the soil surface. This make phototaking difficult as the only background is the soil ... Peat is dark in colour but I don't think I dare to try pure peat growing pygmy ... Better example could be adding fine white sands on the soil surface in the case of those reddish pygmies. White red contrast will be equal attrative ~ I don't have chance this year and I will try to do it in the next gemmae season ... ( coming ~ )

Avery, you had good knowledge of photography and composition. since the falconeri lie flat on the soil surface it's acceptable to everyone including assessor in a photography exam. If for example to lift the falconer up to photo against a green or dark background that would not be natural and an instant flop in the exam. will spreading a thin layer of peat on the surface work ? [sorry, abit out of the topic]

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on 30 Oct, 2007, 12:39 »Avery : i second David`s comment....WOW ! i think David might have experienced shortness of breath for a few seconds when he saw your photos. i know i nearly passed out. heheh.

Lovely sundews, love the colour. My sundew collection are mostly green except for our d.paradoxa & the red filiformis. The rest has slight red marks but nothing quite like yours.

cheers !