Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 24th May 2009, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Pitcher in Glass

Another way to preserve the pitcher is to put the pitcher into a cup filled with water and then freeze it in refrigerator. Through this way, the pitcher shape and colour can be preserved. The weakness of this way are the ice crack when taken out and limit space of refrigerator.
Old 16th August 2009, 08:58 PM

I've tried the casting and the results are not good.

1. The pitcher pigments were gone.
2. Colors are gone as well.
3. The casting produce intnese heat during chemical reaction and this may harm the pitcher.
4. The resin are too sticky and hard to get rid if it once touched. I have to throw away all my mould after using one time. All things are dirty. The washer is hard to get. I can only get the right washer to wash my hands.
5. The resin and hardener ratio is 100:1. Too much hardener the casting will be too hot and crack while too few the casting won't be solidified. Hard to mix!
6. All the stuff has already been costing a few hundreds Ringgit. However I still have more than half of the stock to try.

It's still in the trial and error stage. I still wish to preserve my pitcher. Anyone who has such experience please kindly share it. David, you there? Any good guidance?
Old 17th August 2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Nope, I have not tried it with resin. I heard some people say that those we see in shops are not the actual pitchers but look-a-like replicas of the pitcher. That's why the colour stays. Not sure hwo true is this.

Ding, for the freezer way, try just placing them in the freezer without water. I have had very good results this way. Check out this archive.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 17th August 2009, 10:17 PM

Ding, we would appreciate some photos fo your work, maybe you are too hard on youself

For color please try the following steps which was mentioned in David's post before, unless you already did try it out.

The simplest method is to place the flower on a layer of dry white sand in a container. More sand sprinkled around the flower until it is covered, and it is then left for three days in a warm dry atmosphere. It can then be removed and sealed with polyurethane varnish or hair lacquer. Flowers sometimes tend to change colour, due to the dyes being affected by the resin.

Flower preserving chemicals for can be obtained from your local chemist. Stamps and other paper items should be sealed with a thin coat of polyurethane varnish and dried before embedding. Coins, etc., need no special treatment as long as they are clean and dry.
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:08 AM

Let's visit the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORNAMENTS-NEPENT...3286.m20.l1116

It's obviously the pitcher inside the casting is real. Last time I'd tried to persuade this seller to make some for me but failed. May be you guys can dig some info from him. Hope can hear good news from you.

For me I still haven't give up yet. I will try another resin which may give better product.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:55 PM

I've tried the clear casting using dry pitcher taken out from refrigerator. The result is better. The pigment is preserved. Also, there's no bubble or vapour surrounding the pitcher caused by the pitcher moisture itself. The only problem is the collapse of the pitcher shape after dehydration which degrades the pitcher appearance.
Old 28th September 2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Ding, can you show us a picture and how you did it please?

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 22nd October 2009, 07:10 PM

i'd sent the photos to david. to those who want to see the photo please private message me and send me your email address. thanks.
Old 31st December 2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post
i'd sent the photos to david. to those who want to see the photo please private message me and send me your email address. thanks.
pls send me a copy of the pic to cbkhoon@yahoo.com

thank you very much