Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > NON CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Weird Oddities Of Nature > Amorphophallus

Amorphophallus Everything about the Arum Plants or Corps Flower

Old 3rd July 2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Default terrence: Amorphorphallus (Read 266 times)

tarence
Global Moderator

Amorphorphallus
« Thread Started on 5 May, 2007, 16:10 »Incidentally phallus means thingy......this is what the flower is named after I`m afraid. It has 3 stages of growth : dormancy, growth & flowering stage. All very distinct. This is the flowering stage. It emits a foul smell. The flower itself is about 2 feet tall.

« Last Edit: 5 May, 2007, 17:20 by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

Re: Amorphorphallus
« Reply #1 on 5 May, 2007, 16:31 »Oo~ nice. I actually want one of those Small pics though, what cam do you use? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on 5 May, 2007, 16:50 »I`m not sure why my photos are coming out small but David did mention that he made some changes. I`m using a Nikon coolpix SQ swivel. You can look out for the tubers at some local nurseries or Flora & Fauna fests. If you want, I can keep an eye open for you. I got my tuber for rm10, it was about the size of 2 tennis balls then. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #3 on 5 May, 2007, 17:04 »I'm not sure where or when there are flora and fauna fests... Never been to one or heard of one. How many species are there? Which is like the basic beginner's one? Haha. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on 5 May, 2007, 17:19 »If you can grow CPs, this plant would not be a problem. The KL Laman 2007 is coming up in June i think, should be in Lake Gardens....mebbe you can find it there. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #5 on 5 May, 2007, 17:32 »Maybe we could make that an outing too haha. Either way I want to go. Hopefully I can~ Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on 5 May, 2007, 17:46 »Yes, we seriously should. They may not have CPs there but the plants featured there would still be interesting. Fauzi was there last year. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpiscesilim
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on 5 May, 2007, 18:07 »What species is this? Do you have Amorphophallus titanum? « Last Edit: 5 May, 2007, 18:08 by piscesilim »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedLimtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on 6 May, 2007, 1:06 »I only have this. I`ve seen variations of the flower colour, like deeper purple. Might that be the variety you are asking ? Errr.....the species is Amorphophallus, the variety i`m not sure. Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on 6 May, 2007, 14:28 »Do you guys know the roots are edible. In Chinese it's call 'mo yu' meaning 'devil yam'. The roots are processed to make something like jelly but harder which added to fry some dishes. Quite nice, very suitable for ladies because without carbo & fats, hehe. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSzakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #10 on 6 May, 2007, 17:25 »Haha really? Interesting must try someday Does it taste nice? Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedcactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on 7 May, 2007, 0:06 »It doesn't taste nice by itself but it normally mixed with other vege, some vegetarian restaurant do have it added to dishes. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTSlisham

« Reply #12 on 21 Aug, 2007, 10:59 »That plant? Well, it's quite common here (both langkawi and most of the northern states)... Careful... They causes skin irriation... One of its' kampung name is pokok lekir... Usually grows in shade. Nice "stem" reticulated and leaves grow something like papaya leaves...

They actually sell it? RM10? *scratch own head
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on 21 Aug, 2007, 11:50 »yep, have seen it growing in the wild in tmn negara as well.....but can`t get it in KL concerete jungle. heheh. haven`t seen it in our KL actual jungles either.... Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkltower
Pioneer Member

« Reply #14 on 21 Aug, 2007, 13:38 »Tarence,

Here is a short course on pixel (=picture element). Photos are normally displayed on the computer at 72 dpi (dots per inch, here one dot is one pixel). Some cameras, store the photos at 72 dpi and when they are displayed straight out of the camera without editing they looked very big. While other cameras captured their image at 300 dpi (this is the density used in 4 colour printing). This means the image when display straight out of the camera is 25% small than those capture at 72 dpi. Most photo editing programmes like photoshop will allow you to resize the picture. But looking at your photos, Nikon have already resized for you.

I hope I have not confuse you.

Choong
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedatmccmn
Advisor - Tillandsia

« Reply #15 on 21 Aug, 2007, 14:01 »Tarence, Looks like your plant is making a 'remark' on all of us. What have you told it......???????????? Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #16 on 22 Aug, 2007, 9:20 »Tarence,

Haa, haaa, haaa... I just realised after Andy mentioned that your plant is making a remark on us. Look so realistic. Somemore look like it is wearing white gloves. Should put this at the fencing to your neighbours house if you don like them... haa, haaa...

On the picture thingy, I've made it such that all pictures will be shrunk to the size of the table/box of this forum, so not my doing laa. It will only be shruck if the picture size is bigger than the box/table of the forum. When the system shrinks a picture there will be a note on top of the picture saying the picture has been reduced by 30% etc.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug, 2007, 9:24 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlisttarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on 22 Aug, 2007, 10:52 »Choong : crystal clear, like you said, Nikon already resized it. i won`t bother about photoshop, no time to do all that. shoot, load to pic host, post to forum. that`s all i have time for.

David / Andy : yeah, what can i say, it`s a flower with an attitude. i like !
Old 25th July 2009, 10:19 PM

Default Re: terrence: Amorphorphallus (Read 266 times)

Amorph. Konjac. 4 pound corm, 7 inches in diameter:
(photo taken yesterday)

Old 26th July 2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Tommy, wonder if you can share your growing condition, media and your story behind your plant. I got attracted after listening to a discussion between Ch'ien and David Goh in May.

Interesting thing is Lim (piscesilim) mentioned that someone in BM is making noodle out of this corm. Wonder how it taste like.
Old 26th July 2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bactrus View Post
Tommy, wonder if you can share your growing condition, media and your story behind your plant. I got attracted after listening to a discussion between Ch'ien and David Goh in May.

Interesting thing is Lim (piscesilim) mentioned that someone in BM is making noodle out of this corm. Wonder how it taste like.
Soil mix is miracle grow with a lot of extra perlite mixed in. I got interested in these after seeing one on the web. Bought my 4 pounders off ebay.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Advisor

Yep, one of my suppliers showed up in his truck one day with a dozen stems and corms in the back. When I asked (thinking he'd brought them to me to grow) what he was doing with them he laughed and said, "Dinner"!
Here's a good sized one about to be transplanted by my workers into my yard a few years back. It was growing in a construction site and was about to get slashed so I took it home!

Old 26th July 2009, 04:55 PM

What is it actually?
Old 26th July 2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnintland View Post
Yep, one of my suppliers showed up in his truck one day with a dozen stems and corms in the back. When I asked (thinking he'd brought them to me to grow) what he was doing with them he laughed and said, "Dinner"!
Here's a good sized one about to be transplanted by my workers into my yard a few years back. It was growing in a construction site and was about to get slashed so I took it home!

WOW! She's a beauty!
Old 27th July 2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Shawn, this the plant you told us about? Jail break story... that you thinking someone died behind your work place?
Old 27th July 2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Advisor

Yep, this is the one that smelled so bad! But it only lasted about 4-5 days of stink!
Old 27th July 2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

So you burried the corpse as fertiliser?

Shawn, The looks of it, you're using only earth or whatever soil you find where you're planting. Also, it is planted in a small area with not much room for the root to spread.

Tommy, you're growing your Amp in just a pot with normal soil mixture?