Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th June 2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default cindy: Season for basel and lateral shoots at my balcony

cindy
Global Moderator

Season for basal and lateral shoots at my balcony!
« Thread Started on Aug 29, 2007, 3:50pm » I found new offshoots for the following plants today.

New basal shoot
N. khasiana
N. gracilis 'black'
N. macrovulgaris x reinwardtiana
N. distillatoria 'yellow'
N. bellii x (ventricosa x aristolochioides)
N. alata
N. veitchii 'f'
N. distillatoria 'purple'
N. tobaica x thorelii

New lateral shoot
N. Viking
N. ampullaria 'Bau red'
N. thorelii
N. albomarginata 'Kuching spotted'

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.112 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

Re: Season for basal and lateral shoots at my balc
« Reply #1 on Aug 29, 2007, 4:08pm » so many. Any male or female flowering?
Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.31.226 isaacgoh

« Reply #2 on Aug 29, 2007, 4:19pm » What do you do with them?

Normally, I just leave them there.

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.224.161 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #3 on Aug 29, 2007, 5:24pm » Cindy, are you gonna take cuttings from the vine since there are basel shoots coming out?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Aug 29, 2007, 5:44pm » Robert, no flowers except for my N. campanulata x veitchii which is into his 5th and 6th flower stalk!

David, I am not sure if I would take cuttings later on but all the offshoots are still small. Some may die back from my experience. Anyway, here are a few pics.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.115 tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Aug 29, 2007, 6:22pm » according to lau, basal cuttings are easier to root than lateral cuttings. is that true ?
Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Aug 29, 2007, 6:46pm » I've not tried lateral shoot cuttings. Maybe I can try this time since I will have different species to experiment with.

Basal shoot cuttings are slow for me compared to vine cuttings.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.111 funkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #7 on Aug 29, 2007, 7:44pm » For me, basal cuttings root faster. Sometimes the vine cuttings just wouldn't take root.
Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.247.36 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on Aug 29, 2007, 8:48pm » Perhaps it is the way we root our cuttings. Funkychips, what do you use? Water? Or media?

Wow, this can be an excellent point for discussion.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.109 funkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #9 on Aug 29, 2007, 10:39pm » hi cindy, I took two vine cuttings from N. x miranda, two to three leaves on each with a tiny leaf bud, one cutting I planted in spagnum moss after lightly dipping the cut tip in rooting hormone. the other cutting I left in water to root. both cuttings were placed in the exoterra terrarium and placed outdoors. after a few weeks I checked but no sign of growth from the bud. It worked with N.gracilis however, but it is slow and take a long time, up to half a year to put out their first pitcher. with basal cuttings from N.gracilis, I did the same thing as above, the one in sphagnum moss grew nicely while the cutting in water didn't take root. But with N.x miranda and x ventrata, not a single cutting I've tried has taken root. I think there might be something to do with how I perform the cutting or applying the rooting hormone, the temperature of the surroundings or some species/hybrids are just plain stubborn to root through vine cuttings. what do you think? « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 10:42pm by funkychips »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.208.247.36 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on Aug 29, 2007, 10:46pm » N. x miranda took nearly 3 months to root for me. N. gracilis, 6 months for one plant but 2 weeks for another.

I root all my cuttings in tap water except for rare plants which I use pure perlite. I always split the outer layer of the stem to aid production of roots. The cuttings are either placed in a bright area at my balcony or under flourescent lights.

Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.115 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #11 on Aug 30, 2007, 9:05am » Just to share my experience. I root my cuttings in RO water and also in Sphagnum moss. All of my cuttings are placed under artificial lights (in my 4 feet set up). I also realised my success rate for rooting in water is lower than if I use sphagnum moss.

Sometimes I use rooting powder on the cuttings but realised it does not really make any difference. Those that I did not use rooting powder also root nicely.

I have not tried rooting in pure perlite but I think it might be better. When I root in sphagnum moss I realised if the media is too soggy, it slows down the process of rooting. Letting it dry out a little between watering seem to encourage better and faster root growth. So maybe using pure perlite might be better since it is more airy for the roots. I've seen Fauzi using pure perlite and he just place the cuttings in his nursery under shade cloth like the adult plants. Cuttings seem to survive and his success rate is very high, even for those species I find difficult to root.

I find xventrata, miranda and highlands difficult to root. Others like gracilis, mirabilis, rafflesiana, xcoccenia, ampullaria, globosa, lowland and lowland hybrids, etc are easier to root for me.

On basel cuttings, I find them harder to root. Always have better success rate in vine cuttings. Lau, can share how you root your basel cuttings? funkychips, how is your exoterra terrarium set up like where you place your basel cuttings?

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007, 9:12am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on Aug 30, 2007, 2:09pm » On behalf of Lau : he uses spag moss ( 90%) plus perlite (10%) as rooting medium. Places it under bright conditions but no direct sunlite. keep moist but not wet. he says that peat moss is bad coz it`s too wet & will rot most cuttings.....that`s all i can remember when i asked him last time.
Link to Post - Back to Top 211.25.130.42 David
Administrator

member is online

« Reply #13 on Aug 30, 2007, 2:43pm » thanks tarence
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #14 on Aug 30, 2007, 8:52pm » I had revised a method to root young basal cuttings , though common, as follows:

sharing 2 of my most stubborn "ampullaria hot lips". They have been with me for 14 months and no significant growth

Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.34.50 funkychips

Nep and Till fan

« Reply #15 on Aug 30, 2007, 9:46pm » for me, amps are not just difficult-to-root plants, they also have trouble putting out reasonably sized pitchers. needless to say, cuttings fail to propagate entirely. might want to retry amps if i have the time.
david: i'm currently using my exoterra tank to house my geckos. those cuttings were planted way back in 2003, only N. gracilis survived propagation, the rest perished without any growth .
I just lined the floor of the tank with moist sphagnum moss and nestle the pots among themselves. all was done during the rainy days so I should not have wondered why only N.gracilis took root.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007, 9:48pm by funkychips »Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.47.40 cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on Aug 30, 2007, 10:46pm » Amp vine cuttings are easy for me with just tap water and left at my balcony where is pretty windy. They rooted in 3 weeks.
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.155.12