Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Sarracenia

Sarracenia Everything about American Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th November 2009, 04:12 AM

Default Providing dormancy in the tropics

the bigger the better. But so long as the pieces of rhizome have roots you stand a good chance for success. The larger the pieces the faster you will have full good looking plants. Idealy division should be done at the tail end of dormancy, or just after. I have had good success with 1/2" long sections with one or two roots. I have also had good sucess doing it in the middle of the growing season, you stand a chance of shocking the plant to death like that though. SuperThrive is my best friend and it may make the middle season cuttings work better for me than those who do not use it though.I also grow mine in full sun all day. This makes for a very healthy hardy plant. Are you letting your Sarracenia go dormant? They need about 4 or 5 months in 45 F or cooler weather. Without the rest period they will eventually die. Most often they can skip one but it puts stress on them.Can you post a pic of the plant your wanting to do?