Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 6th August 2009, 05:01 PM

Unhappy HELP ME I REALLY NEEDS HELP !

Hi guy,
I have order some plants from MT ( they are healthy love them but I have to leave them ) . I really need help from other country grower. The Plan Protect Department have taking the plants back and sending to MT, because they need information about the disease of nepenthes so the plants will sending back to MT. I really need help from other grower. In Viet Nam grower have try to fix this trouble but those people don't know anything about this plants. Can you help me this ?
I will sending the information they need to all. I really really need help.
Best regards,
Tran Minh.
Old 6th August 2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Default Re: HELP ME I REALLY NEEDS HELP !

Hi Minh,
So sorry to hear this. Did you asked MT to apply for Phyto and CITES for the plants?? To legally ship plants like nepenthes from overseas will require proper documents to avoid problems from the authorities.

I'm not sure how to help you but others here might be able. I think the next best thing is to ask MT if they can help in anyway. Next time, before you order any plants, better check with your local authorities to obtain proper documents to avoid history repeating itself... Good luck.
Old 6th August 2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I think it is not just asking MT to send the plants with phyto or CITES certs. You may need to apply for import permit. Not sure how it goes in your country, but like what cpnut says check back with MT. They will be the best people to help you since the plants are from them and they would be familier with these issue. Also it would be best to talk to an officer in your country's "Plant Protection Department" to find out what you need to do.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 6th August 2009, 10:18 PM

I have talk to the Plan Protect Department they need list pests and disease to make a document ( DATA REQUIMENT FOR PRA ) which really need the list pests and disease I have apply the import permit.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

YOu should check with MT for this information. And if you applied for the phyto certs, it should already be clear in the document that the plants are free from pest or diseas etc.

Get back to MT on this.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 7th August 2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator

I have been on top of this with Tranh and Juliana. Accoding to Juliana/MT all Phyto and Cites and Wildlife certs are included. Therefore package is theoretically free from pest and is from renewable source.

Tranh, you may have to fill in a form or something on your part, I don't know what the requirement in Vietnam is. Even spoken to a vietnamese friend yesterday. She does business here. Says best you get a forwarding agent/shipping agent to assist.

Sigh...
Old 8th August 2009, 12:24 AM

I think I know what Trahn's problem is, I experienced this problem before but actually not the same way as his being unfortunate that his government agency is planning to send back the plants. Tran you really should try to act quickly because the plants might die if they are left unpotted like that.

PRA means Pest Risk Analysis, and for some reason I cannot find any source for PRA of Nepenthes anywhere, if anyone has this, please please help and make it public!

Tran, did you ask for an import permit? Because in my case in Philippines, the reason why I was asked for PRA is because I asked for Import permit before I ordered. The government agency said that it is basically their job, but if they can't find any reference anywhere, then they might disallow the importation. So I tried and I tried, but I ended up just telling them that:

1. The plants are unpotted, bare root (this means no chance of pests coming with the soil).
2. The plants will be dipped in a solution that will make it pest free (not sure if MT will be able to certify this).

I was lucky enough to have been allowed to import.

End of my report/suggestion... but I would like to take this oppurtunity to ask the members for help or leads on how we can start a PRA. It only needs a Pest Risk Analysis from one country or agency or heck even a university study, and that can be used as reference by all the governments that might want it. I am not sure if there is a PRA document already in the US, but I have not seen any in the net.

Basically we just need a formal report on what pests might attack or occur commonly on Nepenthes species and also what pests might hitch a ride with nepenthes when transferred to other areas or countries.... this is the basis of the quarintine agents on how they will evaluate the plants and how to quarintine them if necessary. But in my opinion an antipest dip should really be the best way if found necessary.

TTFN
Arvin
Old 8th August 2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Let me ask two people who I think would most probably has it or knows where to get it. I'll get back to you.

Old 9th August 2009, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Sorry. Dead end as well. Perhaps it would be best to just ask MT to get the Dept of Agriculture to issue a PRA.

Old 9th August 2009, 12:25 AM

Hi guy,
Thank you guy a lot for taking a lot of time to help me. Sorry David for my last messager ( thank Devid for the help ). Juliana ( MT ) have talk to the Plant Protect Department ( Mss Thanh ) about the PRA ( thank Arvin ) . If I do that document time to finish it are 1 to 3 years. Nepenthes are new in Viet Nam it just started to have in Viet Nam last years, I have checker the document list but PRA not in the list I only know it went my order arrive. It like my nightmare coming I can't sleep because that document so I started to do it but I can't find any pests list. I hope the amswer from PPD arrive in next Monday.
Thank all.