Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Database Project

Nepenthes Database Project Members may discuss on the cultivation of each species before the information is keyed into the database.

Old 28th August 2009, 06:39 PM

Default N. mirabilis Cultivation Guide

Name: N. mirabilis
Highland/Lowland: Lowland
Country of Origin: Australia, Borneo, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Maluku Islands, Micronesia, Myanmar, New Guinea, Palau, Peninsular Malaysia, Philippines, Sulawesi, Sumatra, Thailand, Vietnam
Natural Habitat: Lowland, swamp/Marsh
Described by: (João de Loureiro) George Claridge Druce

Cultivation Guide:
Lighting: 70% to Full sunlight
Potting Medium: Cocopeat, Cocochips and other lowland mix.
Temperature: Tropical Lowland
Humidity: 50% to 90% Lowland conditions
Watering: Once a day, Water tray is recommended because N. Mirabilis need a lot of moisture specially in full sun. Make sure the water tray has a layer of water all the time.

Propagation: Stem Cutting, Seeds.

*It is theorized that because lowland species seeds find moist soil as soon as the seed is blown away from the seed capsule, that they need to be germinated as soon as possible.

Remarks:
Relatively easy to cultivate, it is sensitive to dryness specially if exposed in full sun. It will wilt if not given enough water, but will bounce back if given water in time. The leaves turn reddish in full sun.

Photos insitu shows that some Mirablis can be found in marsh area growing in soil that is submerged in water.

Last edited by arvin555; 29th May 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default Re: N. mirabilis Cultivation Guide

Just to add a little:

Natural Habitat: road banks, open disturbed sites

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 29th May 2010, 11:49 PM

Just an update, had very hot and dry summer, Mirabilis was placed under shade cloth and the usual water tray, all Mirabilis did not show any problems, some even made basals and some had nice reddish leaves.

Suggestion is to not water the leaves during the heat of the day, instead make sure water tray has water in the morning and then just water at night to give cooling effect. I think Mirabilis does not need special attention during hot summers as long as their medium is kept moist, but not waterlogged.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:51 AM

I plant my N.mirabilis in a undrained pot and it's growing well I leave 2cm of water in it every time I water