Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > Projects

Projects Tips, suggestions and discussion on member's gardening projects

Old 7th September 2010, 01:30 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: in vitro first sprout

Nice... But I don't think its worth doing in-vitro germination of neps, considering that the natural germination rate on moss is quite high anyway...
Old 7th September 2010, 02:49 PM

but it get matures fast!
Old 7th September 2010, 09:42 PM

and can avoid the seeds from getting mold that kill your seedlings....

Old 7th September 2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator

errr.. if it's not contaminated
Old 7th September 2010, 11:41 PM

Actually,TC is usualy used to make hybrids bcoz some plants take a long time to mature by seeds and they're rare.if Lim can Establish on TC,we can get tons of great VFTs!especially those rare cultivar that is hard to find in Malaysia.TC also can be a business starter.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:32 PM

Robert congratulations! Did you see the info in kitchenTissueculture or hometissueculture about an additive that is supposed to help fight contaminants? It is called PPM and allows us to do TC at home, I have the kitchen culture kit but still unfortunately no time to dive into trying out TC myself So I'm happy that some of our brothers... like you are getting into it.

To others, please be informed that, though one can actually put additives that will allow for faster growth, the main purpose of TC is not really for faster growth but for faster propagation.

If Robert used 10 seeds and 1 germinated, it is not much use to grow this in TC and then plant it outside eventually. As some people mentioned you don't get the advantage, you have the same rate sowing them directly on potting medium.

But because that 1 plant that germinated is sterile, Robert can actually cut it up into several piece, add additive that will make the pieces sprout into new plants themselves.. so if you have 1 plant, you can get say 3 to 5, and the 3 to 5 plants can then be cut up and thus the multiplication factor increases! This is quite nice for rare plants. Which reminds me, Robert what species of seeds did you use? I mean don't get me wrong, once I get to try TC, I will try it out with not so rare seeds first.

Of course VFT is way easier, just get one leaf, disinfect it like crazy, and cut up and then put it in an additive and you should have a lot of VFTs soon. It's Nepenthes that is a big challenge.... good luck Robert!

Hopefully next time you can try out seeds of N. Attenboroughii

TTFN
Arvin
Old 8th September 2010, 02:10 PM

hey Robert,wanna try VFT seeds on TC?
Old 8th September 2010, 02:39 PM

Robert, sorry for bothering, but would you mind PM me the information as well? i am getting interested in TC.....
and may i know so far how much had you spent in this? i mean from TC until the plant can transplant into normal media...thankyou

Old 8th September 2010, 03:40 PM

every 4-6weeks,u have to change the media bcoz the plant already absorbed the minerals in it.thats the hardest for me.easy get infected by Germs.a media can only be used around 1month++
Old 8th September 2010, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator

IMHO, its just not economically worth the investment in creating a setup to germinate nepenthes seeds in vitro because fungal/bacterial contamination is bound to occur while replating (changing media in flasks due to runout of nutrients) and after deflasking anyway. In fact, flask-grown seedlings are more difficult to establish once out of flasks (I'm speaking for orchids, which are similar) because of the drastic environment change (~99% humidity to much lower) and also change of medium. If germinate directly on moss, the seedlings wold have already sent out roots into the sphag and can be transplanted with less shock.