hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

Juvenile Cephalotus
« Thread Started on Jul 30, 2007, 10:58am »
Juvenile Ceph - 16 Apr

Juvenile Ceph - 5 Jul

xxx
i think i need to grow this for 2-3more years before i'll even get to see mature pitchers.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
tarence
Global Moderator

Re: Juvenile Cephalotus
« Reply #1 on Jul 30, 2007, 11:12am »
Nice hongrui....Did you get any tips from Cindy ? the only one i had came as a matured adult & lasted 6 months. it was fab for the first 4 months then started getting smaller & smaller until it was microscopic. i`m game to try again with a lil` more head knowledge this time round about its dormancy.....
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged hongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #2 on Jul 30, 2007, 11:53am »
yeah, i got this juvi ceph from Cindy. one tip i got is cephs like a little temp drop at night and well ventilated areas. humidity need not be very high once you've hardened it. mine is out in the garden and at noon, the humidity can go down to 30%

but then again this ceph has been with me only since march '07. i'll declare it a success story if it's still me next march and has survived our monsoon season.

Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

jonathan

« Reply #3 on Jul 30, 2007, 12:05pm »

Wow... great looking beauty.... i wish i get to have one....

does someone sell it in singapore??? maybe i can make a trip back to singapore to get it....

Regards Jonathan

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged A dangerous plant and yet so unique and extraordinary... carnivorous plants.....

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on Jul 30, 2007, 12:16pm »
we`ll pray hard for its survival then.....*smile* i`m only keen in re-starting cephalotus if someone in Asia tells me that they can survive, be happy & propagate here in our climate. otherwise, i`m not going to kill another rare & precious CP like this. all the best to you hongrui !
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on Oct 12, 2007, 3:34pm »
hongrui : how is your ceph doing ? i got my batch of cephs on wednesday but no time to post pics yet.

correct me if i`m wrong but i thot LFS is not recommended as one of the ceph`s media ? i use peat ( 25%) plus perlite. i`m worried about water stagnation & root rot.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 3:38pm by tarence »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Oct 12, 2007, 4:02pm »
Tarence, LFS can be used for Cephs. On condition that you water your plant only 1-2 times a week. If you are the type that cannot tahan not watering your plants daily, then the mix has to be very very loose. My largest pot of TC Ceph is in LFS and perlite. I don't water until the LFS on the top of the pot is dry. Don't ask me how I know when to water but over the years I've gotten into the habit of lifting up the pots to gauge.

Hongrui's plant is small and it is in a small pot. The chances of water stagnation in a pot that size is negligible. But for larger pots of Cephs, peat is the better option.

Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #7 on Oct 12, 2007, 4:18pm »
yo tarence, my juvi ceph is doing fine. a little beaten up by the heavy rains this week but still looking good. i think LFS/perlite is fine and i have 2 others in peat/perlite which seems okay too. if you're worried about root rot, you might not want to keep them on a water tray. mine are on a very shallow water tray, about 1cm of water depth only. my purpose is more to raise the local humidity and the water in the tray seems to last only a day or so.

i'll get a pic of my ceph posted maybe next week.

tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on Oct 12, 2007, 4:36pm »
thx Cindy & hongrui.......i`m happy to be back in the elite Ceph owner `club`. But i tread with extreme caution. i`ve got 6 under my care !

hongrui: since yours is grown outdoors, what kind of sun & conditions are you giving it ? when my cephs harden, i plan to put it in very filtered morning sun and shaded from direct rain.

Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #9 on Oct 12, 2007, 4:49pm »
my conditions are pretty harsh, the juvi is grown with my neps, full sun from morning till about 1-2pm and bright shade for the rest of the day. another 2 pots of cephs gets morning sun till about 11am and bright shade thereafter. no shelter from rain for them, i need those sheltered spots for my drosera.

David
Administrator

« Reply #10 on Oct 12, 2007, 10:01pm »
I just received 3 juvi ceph last weekend. I need help here. One of the ceph has turned yellowish and the pitchers have dried up. I think it might be a gonner

The other two is still ok. 1-2 pitchers turning brown but plant still green.

Sigh! These plants are so sensitive. It came in it's pot with media and all but still seem to be experiencing shock. Somemore they were hand carried to me.

I guess I just have to wait and see. Don want to move them now or they'll get tired trying to acclimatise to new growing conditions over and over again. What do you guys think?

I place them under grow lights. Water them about once in 2-3 days. Use RO water somemore.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 10:02pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on Oct 12, 2007, 10:45pm »
David, too much light and heat I think.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #12 on Oct 12, 2007, 10:57pm »
Cindy, I place them at the side of my grow chamber which has the lowest light level woa. But I think you might be right. My artificali growing area is very bright. I realised today, the skin on my nose is pealing off. I think I got sunburn because I was working on my plants and staring at my Sundews in the last few days. Been doing it a little too often without protection. Face also so tan now.

Will shift them or filter the florencent lights for them. Sigh! Hope I don kill them all.

Or do you think it's better if I place them outside my window. Night time temperatures are much lower but it receives afternoon sun from about 3pm to about 6pm. Might be too much for it huh?
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 10:59pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on Oct 13, 2007, 12:24am »
David, I put mine under whole day sunlight, no ill effect so far. Slowly introduce it sunlight should be fine.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTS cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on Oct 13, 2007, 12:53am »
TS, how long have you had your plant and how large is it?
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on Oct 13, 2007, 2:15pm »
Cindy, I had it for about 6 months now. It started with one tiny pitcher to now 6 pitchers. Now has produced some pitcherless leaves at the side, should be offshoot from what I see.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTS cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on Oct 13, 2007, 5:31pm »
TS, from what you describe, the pitchers are maybe not mature yet. When Cephs start producing mature pitchers, they tend to die from root rot in prolonged periods of high heat...something that I read from a taiwanese CP book.

Even though the plants which are about 1.5 years old from TC are happily taking in the afternoon heat from the setting sun, I dare not put my mature plants out to take the same kind of heat.

Do update us as your plant progresses. The way you are growing it will give us an idea how heat tolerant Cephs are.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged tarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on Oct 14, 2007, 5:27pm »
from the 6 plants i got.....i lost almost 75% of the pitchers and mebbe 45 % of the leaves. The slightly bigger sized ones are the ones taking the biggest hits. I take this as `normal` tho and have put in some hormon to stabilise the plants. they are also in a plastic unit with a glass sheet on top to keep humidity high until i see signs of growth. I should have done this sooner but thot the small plants were more stable. I remain positive on their cultivation tho.

shall post pics soon......or mebbe when they recover...heheh.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cindy
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on Oct 14, 2007, 9:50pm »
Yup, the larger the plant the harder it get hit. But they recover quite fast too. Recently, I fried a large plant by using leca pebbles which when rinsed, the water measured 330ppm! All I have left is one stump of brown. But there is already new growth appearing at the base, just after 2 weeks of repotting. I'll post the pics later.

The leaves and pitchers are lost because the plant is drawing back water and nutrients for use, to grow new roots. To prevent further yellowing and to give the plants a kick start, I was encouraged by a friend to fertilise the new plants. Diluted orchid fertiliser straight into the roots.

Tarence, are the rest of the leaves from your plants firm and green?

Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #19 on Oct 15, 2007, 10:57pm »
this is the ceph from cindy

opposite angle

ceph from TP - looking weather beaten but going strong (i hope)

largest pitcher so far and still inflating