Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default ari: Nepenthes Rajah

ari

Nepenthes Rajah
« Thread Started on May 6, 2007, 8:25am » Hi to all.......im Ari, does anyone know where i might get N.Rajah? i lost my Rajah to some darn *&&^%E^ thieves recently. btw i live in KL, and i was told they are not available in kl, well...the last thing i wanna trust is "information"from the nusery apeks.

Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.152.94 zakhren

I'm back!

Re: Nepenthes Rajah
« Reply #1 on May 6, 2007, 11:14am » Hello ari welcome to the forums. N. rajah would be a bit harder to find i'd imagine. You could try ordering from online? How did the theives get to your plant?
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.47.206 cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on May 6, 2007, 10:22pm » Hi Ari, welcome to our CP family! Btw, are you ari from MAC or myfish?

TS
« Last Edit: May 6, 2007, 11:27pm by cactustts »Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.51.133TS ari

« Reply #3 on May 9, 2007, 6:37pm »
Quote:Hello ari welcome to the forums. N. rajah would be a bit harder to find i'd imagine. You could try ordering from online? How did the theives get to your plant?

hi zak
good question...how did they get to my plant. just it was in the morning and it was gone when i woke up....and the thing is ...they took only the rajah and nothing else, sparing some wild orchids from thailand...phew!

yea i thought about ordering from online, but i wouldnt be sure what im getting, besides i need to see the plant before buying, ....i got my fair share of being duped into buying hybrids.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.220.90 ari

« Reply #4 on May 9, 2007, 6:40pm »
Quote:Hi Ari, welcome to our CP family! Btw, are you ari from MAC or myfish?

TS

wa lau a brader, so fast kana tangkap liao ah. not Mac but myfish, mac i kana ban liao, remember hehehe.
btw in myfish u use wat nick ah?

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.220.90 cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on May 13, 2007, 9:55am » Hey ari, sorry for late reply. I'm always behind the scene in myfish, so you won't see anything posted from me. But I did enjoy and benefit from what you posted, that's why I can remenber you nick.
Btw can Rajah thrive in our weather here in KL?

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.50.247.17TS 3sgjeffery
« Reply #6 on May 13, 2007, 10:23pm » grow under Air con?
Link to Post - Back to Top 165.21.154.15 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #7 on May 13, 2007, 10:42pm » probably grow in air-cond. room during the day but left outside at night. Strange how the thief knew your plant ?
Link to Post - Back to Top 60.52.3.3 ari

« Reply #8 on May 14, 2007, 4:35pm » ah....when folks does everything the book says...then nothing is gonna get done.
yup...we heard it all... rajah needs this cool condition or that humid condition during the day or night or whatever, but then one thing we all should know is they are hardy plants...they are survivers.
i got mine as cuttings from kalimantan 4 years ago, 2 did not survive....simply coz i add in fertilizers and took very special care of them... hehehe...well i didnt know anything about pitcher plants back then
. the 1 that did survive was the 1 i gave my sister, she just dump it somewhere among her ferns and forgot all about it.
i took it back after a few months and kept it under the shades of some ferns and orchids and thats all i did for it...man..i didnt even get the chance to see it grow to its full potential when MR Pencuri made his rounds....and i presume its someone who is a gardener himself, i doubt a mat stim would bother to carry off a longkang looking plant.
back to the question...can Rajah thrive in the weather in KL?...i would like to add i like in Taman Putera ,Cheras, my house is next to the jungle covered foot hill. the weather is more forgiving here for plants...but then my sister live in USJ...we all know how hot it is there. so i guess they can...but then...the books says otherwise, so my opinon is only worth 2 cents.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.48.238.126 bifurcatum

« Reply #9 on May 14, 2007, 7:30pm » Hi Ari,
Are you sure thats N. Rajah?
Since N. Rajah is very compact neps, it is hard to take a cutting.

Link to Post - Back to Top 60.49.74.185 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #10 on May 14, 2007, 8:50pm » Hi Ari, i assume the rajah was a cutting from a friend,and how big was the plant?
Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.27.35 ari

« Reply #11 on May 15, 2007, 11:26am »
Quote:Hi Ari,
Are you sure thats N. Rajah?
Since N. Rajah is very compact neps, it is hard to take a cutting.

i wouldnt know they were rajahs if not for googles....thats how sure i am

Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.152.94 ari

« Reply #12 on May 15, 2007, 12:08pm »
Quote:Hi Ari, i assume the rajah was a cutting from a friend,and how big was the plant?

not from a friend...i live in Jakarta for many years before coming back to malaysia. i made many business trips to Tarakan, East Kalimantan . on my leisure time i would make inland trips searching for wild orchids which is my main interest, and i happen to stumble on the rajahs on one such trips...the guide told me they were " periok dewa"....what?
that was my introduction to pitcher plants.
i uprooted the whole plant, orchid style ...trim away the bottom leafs and roots.( i did this on instint) i choose the smaller ones , 6 inches max. i would have taken more if i had known at that time how rare they are ...after all i was told the area was destined to be log soon..indonesian stlye..meaning nothing will be spared, with the logs gone , its gonna be slash and burned.

Link to Post - Back to Top 218.111.120.134 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #13 on May 15, 2007, 12:26pm » You should put your location in your profile

Haha what you did was kinda illegal Especially since it's one of the more endangered species~ But I suppose since the forest was gonna be cut and burned anyway it's okay. Wish they would stop doing that...

Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.128.1 isaacgoh

« Reply #14 on May 15, 2007, 1:07pm » Hi Ari,

It's a surprise to find you here.

Please share more of your collection if you have them. The thieve of your rajah seems to know what to take. Might be a nep lover too.

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.162.29.16 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #15 on May 15, 2007, 5:19pm » Ari, is the place somewhere near mt. Kinanablu but outside the National park, and what is the elevation where it was found,if you still can recall. It's interesting to know the location as the area may not be frequented by visitors. You must have a picture taken before it was stolen?
Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.26.205 zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #16 on May 16, 2007, 1:42pm » Well just be careful which species you take. You could be taking one of the last few of them left in the wild. I'm sure you don't wanna be the person to wipe out a species from the wild~
Link to Post - Back to Top 219.95.44.108 isaacgoh

« Reply #17 on May 16, 2007, 1:55pm » Hi Ari bro,

Your story is interesting. You have to becareful of what you write lah. Got dangerous consequences.

Welcome here, i'm new to neps but picking up more now.

Rgds,
Isaac

Link to Post - Back to Top 202.162.29.16 Robert
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #18 on May 16, 2007, 6:06pm » Hi Ari,
it's strange even the Indonesian neps., journal never report the occurence of rajah in the whole province in kalimantan.

Some sensitive message is best using PM/private message directed to question asked by forumer.Don't post here.

Link to Post - Back to Top 124.82.36.45 cosmoking

« Reply #19 on May 20, 2007, 11:28pm » What he did would most likely be considered legal actually. A friend of an Orchid friend(over 30 years of experience) went to Africa, and after encountering loggers about to cut down a huge tract of forest, asked if she could collect any Orchids in the forest. She found more than 10 beautiful species and took many of each type. Now she has them growing mounted on pieces of wood and some in pots in her greenhouse and they flower every year-apparentely she managed to save so many that a whole wall in her greenhouse is coevered in pieces of wood with these Orchids attached to it.

So Id say good on you! But please, please dont take any plants from woodland that is not going to be cut down. That would really be illegal plus its not very moral.

Link to Post - Back to Top 82.32.21.171