Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia

Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 12th October 2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default N. gracilis in Kedah

Yay !! Finally found my 1st wild N. gracilis. It's a rainy day and I'm all soaked even with raincoat, sorry for the poor quality photos, I'll try harder next time to take better photos.

Name:  gracilis-1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  649.3 KB
Name:  gracilis-2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  729.7 KB
Name:  gracilis-3.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  623.0 KB

gracilis and albomarginata side by side
Name:  gracilis & albo-1.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  94.7 KB

I hope I correctly ID the neps...
Old 13th October 2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default Re: N. gracilis in Kedah

Thanks for the pictures. At what elevation are these gracilis growing? I can see lie sphagnum moss growing. Interesting that gracilis are growing at the same elevation as albos

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 13th October 2008, 01:03 PM
Senior Advisor

would be interesting if there are gracilis x albo natural hybrid. Thanks for the posts.
Old 13th October 2008, 01:36 PM

Hi

If the gracilis and growing with the albos there should almost definitly be a hybrid between them since gracilis are known to hybridize to many other neps.There are so many colours in N gracilis.But my fav is in the 1st pic.The lime green and a little strip peristrome looks like those of a N sumatrana.And also i like the 2nd last pic the fully green pitcher looks like a N hamata upper without any teeth and no peristrome.Even the albo shown in the last pic shows a little gracilis charateristics

Ken
Old 13th October 2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I think the elevation where I saw these gracilis is above 800m ASL, definately in Sphagnum moss country. The weird thing is that I have seen many albos and gracilis growing side by side, just can't find any hybrids between the two. It was quite groomy that day with fog and rain, so making detailed examination even more tedious. I'll definately go back to take a better look next time.

I'm contemplating whether to get a DSLR but worried about taking care of it and taking picture when the weather is pouring and wet... Wondering if Robert or anyone who done a lot of nature photography can share some tips? Thanks.
Old 13th October 2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnut View Post

I'm contemplating whether to get a DSLR but worried about taking care of it and taking picture when the weather is pouring and wet... Wondering if Robert or anyone who done a lot of nature photography can share some tips? Thanks.
There are very good advance digital compact camera around, more versatile than DSLR. The problem with DSLR was the need to keep changing lens when ones wish to take, say, landscape photo and micro close up. Anyway get one of your choice and purpose that fit you.
Old 13th October 2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your advice, Robert. I'm considering getting a semi-DSLR instead, like the Nikon Coolpix P80. Budget and performance probably more suited to a beginner like me...
Old 13th October 2008, 07:07 PM
Senior Advisor

Sorry to jump off topic here! CPNut - I'll PM you some notes regarding Nikon Cool pix.
Old 13th October 2008, 07:57 PM

Hi Cpnut

Thanks for telling about the elevations of the neps you took.Well elevations of 800m is where i think is the intermediates stay and thrive.Yup definitly spahmum moss land/heaven..Didn't know that gracilis stay in intermediate conditions at all but at least im pretty sure albos does.

Ken
Old 14th October 2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

cpnut,

It might not be that easy to spot a hybrid as the pitcher shape are similar to both gracilsi and albo. You've got to check out the leaves and stems. For me that helps me identify them in the wild. Also the white band udner the peristome is very light on a hybrid.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb