Old 30th June 2008, 01:19 AM
Technical Administrator

Default zakhren: Pinguicula Care

zakhren

I'm back!

Pinguicula Care
« Thread Started on Apr 10, 2007, 1:14am »
Advice from an experienced grower (Starman on CPUK):

He says for best results for pinguicula primuliflora, put them in full sun (yes even our hot direct blazing Malaysian sun, the method is even used in Arizona) -BUT- you must keep the water level at almost the top of the pot. He gets really good results with this method. Bigger plants and stronger. -BUT- if you let the water level drop an inch or two, the plant will fry and die~ So have to keep a closer eye on the water level thats all.

And for other information : http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/page...s/pictures.htm
Mix for Mexican Pings : 1:1:1:1,peat,sand,perlite,vermiculite (Cheaper than what's told at that website.)
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 12:16am by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged 3sgjeffery
Re: Pinguicula Care
« Reply #1 on Apr 10, 2007, 9:44am »
yah... mine Ping is drying up due to i forget to water them...
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #2 on Apr 10, 2007, 11:10am »
Well apparantly you cant over water them. As long as they are in full sun. Just sit your ping in water up to the rim. It'll take a day at least for that to dehydrate a bit.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cactustts
Pioneer Member / Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on Apr 10, 2007, 12:13pm »

Quote:Advice from an experienced grower (Starman on CPUK):

He says for best results for pings, put them in full sun (yes even our hot direct blazing Malaysian sun, the method is even used in Arizona) -BUT- you must keep the water level at almost the top of the pot. He gets really good results with this method. Bigger plants and stronger. -BUT- if you let the water level drop an inch or two, the plant will fry and die~ So have to keep a closer eye on the water level thats all.

And for other information : http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/page...s/pictures.htm
Mix for Mexican Pings : 1:1:1:1,peat,sand,perlite,vermiculite (Cheaper than what's told at that website.)

Is this method applied to all Pings? I just can't believe it! I thought Pings are close family with the succulents, and they should however kept a little bit drier like cactus and what your info told us just the other way round!

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedTS zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #4 on Apr 10, 2007, 11:57pm »
Ah but succulents like it dry and sunny. Pings like it shady, full sun will fry them. If you give them that much water without full sun they would probably rot and drown. Maybe we should experiment with a small primuliflora? Just in case though only try this with a spare hehe. And btw, Mexican pings if they get too dry, they go dormant.

Ah sorry the water to the rim thing I did have a missunderstanding. Not for mex pings haha. Sorry He told me the info really late and I didn't get much sleep before either. But to the rim will work for primuliflora and other pings that live near river banks or other really wet places.

-BUT- Mex pings still need to be sitting in water for 6 or 7 months a year. If they aren't they may go dormant because mex pings have a wet/dry season.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 12:22am by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #5 on Apr 11, 2007, 1:44am »
Hello,

As the "erperienced grower" that said this, I think Il put my 2 cents in

People have grown Pinguicula primuliflora in a lot of different ways. Some in shade, some in full sun, others partial sun with little water, some with a lot of water etc etc. I grew mine with the top part of the pot in live spaghnum moss, and the bottom part was a mixture of sand and peat. Next, I placed it in full sun and in a deep container, and I filled it up nearly to the brim. In its native habitat, it is sometimes found submerged under water and in full sun, that is why I chose to try out this method. It worked very well-it grew fast and flowered litterally all the time. It died only because I let the water level get too low. The sun then did its damage and it eventually died.

Mexican Pinguicula are a variable topic. First of all, you have to know about your particular plant. For example, Pinguicula agnata will enjoy being kept wet in Summer in full to partial sun, and damp to moist in winter. Gypsicola and heterophylla, on the other hand, have to have their Winter dormacy's bone dry. Some people, such as myself, occasionally mist the soil to dampen it, and then let it get bone dry again. I keep all of my Mexican Pinguicula in full sun(theres a few exceptions, that are on my Eastern facing windowsill in partial sun, mainly because I want them there and not in my full sun greenhouse) They will grow fine in partial sun though(East or West facing windowsills) but usually never in full shade(North facing windowsills). Pinguicula sharpii, Pinguicula filifolia and other Pings that grow in almost full shade in the wild are possible exceptions(among other Pinguicula that grow in shady conditions in Mexico and Cuba) The lenght of dormacy's is also questionable: I have given some Pings a 3 or even 2 month dormacy, but others I have given 4 or more. The general rule is to cut down or stop watering when you see the dormant rossete forming, and to start watering again gradually when you see the first summer leaves coming up. Overall though, like Joseph Clemens of Arizona, I grow all my Mexican Pinguicula wet(always sitting in trays of water throughout Summer) and almost always in full sun. Some people say that letting them dry out slightly in between waterings before watering more is the best way. Theres one thing I can say though: before I grew mine in partial shade with occasional waterings, but in the conditions I have them in now they are definetly growing better than ever. And lastly, good luck all of you!

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 2:13am by cosmoking »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #6 on Apr 11, 2007, 12:50pm »
Is there any hope for me to grow them under artificial grow lights? I have one but it is just not doing well in my terrarium. How would I be able to provide it with the best conditions under my growing conditions?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist zakhren

I'm back!

« Reply #7 on Apr 11, 2007, 1:18pm »
Anything can be grown under artificial lights I think. Just need enough of it. Maybe you should increase the wattage or add more tubes Dave?
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #8 on Apr 11, 2007, 5:12pm »

Quote:Is there any hope for me to grow them under artificial grow lights? I have one but it is just not doing well in my terrarium. How would I be able to provide it with the best conditions under my growing conditions?

I grow nearly all my Pings under full natural sun, so I cant advise you on artificial lighting as I have no experience with it. Cant you just move it into full sun? And are you reffering to P. primuliflora or the Mexican species?

I'm back!

« Reply #9 on Apr 11, 2007, 5:31pm »
Dave lives in an apartment. Not much full sun in there. I would expect him to be referring to primuliflora, since I think that's the only one we have?

In cased miss my post in my ping thread :
I think yours needs more light? Since this is the one that can grow in full, direct sun if you sit it in water up to the rim. I think your terrarium needs more wattage. Can judge light level on this : Venus flytraps will go red under 6x40watt(=240watt) fluorescent tubes, 12 inches distance (Barry Rice's setup). So lets consider that full sun. 50% shade would be 3x40watt/6x20watt(=120watt) tubes, 12 inches distance then. 50% shade would also be 2x30watt/4x15watt(=60watt) tubes, 6 inches distance. I'm thinking right?

So Dave is using 4x18watt(=72watt). What is the distance of your lights to your plants Dave?
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 7:23pm by zakhren »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged cosmoking

« Reply #10 on Apr 11, 2007, 10:26pm »
A windowsill would do, what about a balcony?

Like I said before, I cant really comment on lighting set ups because I dont use them,.

What I can advise though, is for him to lift it up out of the ground and put it into a container the same size as the pot, then grow it with water up to the top of the rim of the pot.

Everyone, please check this website and look up your particular species if you're having persistent difficulties:

www.pinguicula.org

I'm back!

« Reply #11 on Apr 11, 2007, 10:35pm »
Don't think he has a balcony. He hangs some of his pots outside his window haha. From the 13th floor of an apartment building... He's got a big terrarium in one of the rooms relying solely on artificial light.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged David
Administrator

« Reply #12 on Apr 12, 2007, 6:59pm »
I think I will just wait until I have better lighting before starting on Pings. Thanks guys for the advise and website link. Very informative.