Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Old 28th July 2008, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Random Drosera Pictures

Hi David,
Took me a while to get back here. I have an advantage over you for D. prolifera, as I gorw in a basement in a temperate zone.
The media does not really seem to matter. I would try lfs to maximize the humidity and keeping the roots cool. Is there anywhere inside where it does not get too warm?
I also somehow manage to grow D. falconeri in the same basement that I got from tc, and yes I still remember I owe you both plants, lol.
Send me your addie again and I will send you both, if youa re willing to try again.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 28th July 2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Joe,

Of course! I am more than willing to try again. Thanks so much.

The best place I can think of is my 1-feet terrarium, but I wonder if the 9-watt PLL lighting is still too much for it. My earlier plant was placed about 9inches from the lighting and it died. Humidity wasn't a problem. Perhaps its the heat.

Do you think it would be better if I keep them in a bigger pot and use only sphagnum moss? As you've suggested, that would keep the roots cool. Perhaps I'll try what I did for my Heliamphora. It was advised to me to place granite stones at the bottom of the pot to keep it cool. Then fill up with the media the heliamphora is growing in. Place this pot in a tray of water untill the level of the granite stones. It seems the stones are much cooler and will keep the area around the roots cool. What do you think? Actually, I was also told to place this smaller pot where the plant grows in a bigger pot and fill the gap betweent the smaller pot and bigger pot with smaler granite stones allt the way up to the top. Perhaps this will work on the prolifera and falconeri too.

The coolest location in my house would be the living area, but there's only light from the window with no sunlight. I wonder if the lighting is enough.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 29th July 2008, 05:28 AM

You can try that light. I have grown some very far from lights. They look etiolated, but look somewhat like they do in nature. I prefer more light. It gives it a little color and makes the tentacles very dewy.
Are you growing a Heli succesfully? If that is the case, you should be able to grow these. I would go with pure sphagnum.
The other stuff sounds interesting.
Cheers,

Joe
Old 29th July 2008, 03:23 PM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

I grow my D.prolifera in pure sphagnum moss and it received a few hours of direct morning sun, bright for the rest of the day. It sends out two flower stalks now. I think low night temperature is more crucial to grow this plant.