Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia

Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 2nd July 2008, 01:05 PM

Default David : Highland Nepenthes of Peninsula Malaysia - 1/4

David
Administrator

Highland Nepenthes of Peninsula Malaysia - 1/4
« Thread Started on Jan 8, 2008, 12:09am » Jonathan, TS and I went again on another trip in search of wild nepenthes. This time looking for highlanders. I shall not not state the place and let you guess test your knowledge on highlanders in Peninsular Malaysia, hee, hee... (Tarence and Humphry are not allowed to guess as i've mentioned to them already).

Started journey from Kuala Lumpur at 7.30am. We went to 4 different locations. Again jonathan is our trusted guide.

In the 4 locations in the highlands, N. sanguine is the most abundant. N. ramispina is specifically abundant in one location. However, there are only a few plants of macfarlanei. There are numerous hybrids between these 3 species and some have been hybrid back and forth so many times we were unsure what they are. We also did find some interesting forms.

You will also see a lot of pictures of the same species. Howevere, these were takan from different locations and I find it interesting that they grow in environment that is slightly different from one another.

I will break up the pictures into 4 threads so that download is easier especially for those with dialup.

Walking into the belukar in search of the "Holy Grail"... aka Nepenthes...
This image is reduced by 9%, click it to view full size.

The first Nepenthes "home"...

The plants...

CONTINUE IN PART 2 THREAD...
« Last Edit: Jan 8, 2008, 12:56am by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistrainforestguy

Re: Highland Nepenthes of Peninsula Malaysia - 1/4
« Reply #1 on Jan 8, 2008, 6:45am » Its very curious to see that the best growing plants are exposed to the elements and growing in full sun with little canopy cover. What is surreal is that early writers (and some supernumeries) of nepenthes care has always placed them in cultivating them as air-free, almost terrarium culture. This is obviously not the case and anyone visiting these natural growing grounds can tell you that they almost require this exposure.
If people recall my earlier posts in another forum regarding outside conditions and how well they grow better when exposed to outdoor over greenhouse conditions, you will see what I mean.

M

Link to Post - Back to Top 74.61.72.115http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgiericsow

Re: Highland Nepenthes of Peninsula Malaysia - 1/4
« Reply #2 on Jan 8, 2008, 12:44pm »
Quote: Jonathan, TS and I went again on another trip in search of wild nepenthes. This time looking for highlanders. I shall not not state the place and let you guess test your knowledge on highlanders in Peninsular Malaysia, hee, hee... (Tarence and Humphry are not allowed to guess as i've mentioned to them already).

David, I would like to guess the location. But you already gave the hidden answer. Don't gamble at an elevation of 6000ft above sea level.
Link to Post - Back to Top 15.211.169.107
Old 18th July 2008, 11:56 PM

Default Re: David : Highland Nepenthes of Peninsula Malaysia - 1/4

Those neps are from Genting Highlands. The jpeg filenames already revealed the answer.
By the way, I am new to nepenthes and hope to learn something about neps from this forum.

Cheers
Kelvin
Old 20th July 2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome Kelvin. There's already quite a few of you from Penang. Cool!
Old 29th July 2008, 08:40 AM

Yes i knew this from the very beginning when i intend to save the images.I saw the word genting in the filename.Good work David.
But how come i went there millions of times and never get to see one of these nepenthes?Maybe i didn't notice..
Old 1st August 2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Ali,

It is to the plant's benefit that people cannot just go up Genting Highlands and see them everywhere. Or else the plants will be at the mercy of poachers whose only intentions is to earn profits without care or concern that the population there would be depleted or extinct one day.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb