Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th March 2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Pot size for neps

All I can say, it all depends on your growing environment and condition and no 2 are alike. So what worked for me and others don't mean will work for you...

I grew all my neps outdoor exposed to natural cycles of seasons (in Peninsular Malaysia is only dry season and monsoon season). I'm more worried about rainy season as when it rain, it rain non stop for days on end. For this reason, media with high organic matter will tends to hold too much moisture for it to evaporate naturally fast enough and it may cause root rot in severe cases. This effect will be compounded if you use bigger pot as it's volume is directly proportional to it's ability to how much moisture it can hold. Bigger volume (pot) will take longer time to be evaporate naturally and vice versa.

In simpler words, since I grew my neps outdoor exposing to natural rainfall. I want my media and pot to be able to dry out faster during rainy season and that's my only main concern (I can't control when and how much it rain). If it's dry season, I just have to increase the watering frequency and this is what I can do.

For me, media too wet will cause more problems than good. The key is to keep it moist (sometimes some dry out period will be good as long as the plant is not dehydrated) but not wet yet at the same time have good air circulation so there's no "dead" spot in the media that may cause unwanted growth of harmful fungus and bacteria.