Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > GENERAL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS DISCUSSION > All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants

All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants General Discussion: CPs, books, movies, accessories, "where to get what", etc.

Old 26th September 2009, 07:29 PM

Default Genetically engineered plants for low light.

Hi

Do you know of any carnivorous plants that are genetically engineered to grow in low light? This could be useful to enable them to grow inside the house so that they could control insects in the home.

Your help will be appreciated,
Regards Richard

Last edited by David; 28th September 2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: change text color fora easy viewing
Old 26th September 2009, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Genetically engineered plants for low light.

I think you can try to keep D. prolifera. I think it can grow under low light conditions.
Old 27th September 2009, 03:35 AM
Administrator

I think D. prolifera would be a good candidate but they need high humidity. It would be difficult in a home if you do not grow them in a terrarium of some sort. However, that would defeat the purpose of having them there to control insects.

Anyway, CP may well attract more insects than control them. They are also made my nature not to capture everything that comes their way. Take for instance the Nepenthes. If the first few ants that arrive at its pitchers were captured, the ants would not be able to go back and inform the colony.

It is more of a symbiosis between the two. Kinda like how humans were in prehistoric times where they sacrifice their fellow men to their gods to receive favor for good crop produce on the land. Same as the ants, only a few will fall into the Nepenthes pitchers, but in return the plant of

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 28th September 2009, 10:14 AM

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I hope people could easily read my initial message all right. On my computer it was in black text on a black background. I am not sure why. However, this time it seems to be white on my other computer. What people could do to view it, is to highlight the text if they cannot see it easily. I could also resend it again.

Bear in mind sticky cardboard insect traps that are purchased also have something to attract insects. One problem with them is that they do not last long as the bait soon looses its odor. The advantage of a carnivorous plant is that the bait would remain fresh. Also, Drosera may not attract ants that are not inside the house. They could trap small flying insects if they are placed on the window sill. However, they probably would not grow well without a bright light source above them.

Maybe one day they may be able to genetically engineer carnivorous plants so that they could grow inside a house without additional lights placed above them. If you find out about any developments in this, please let me know. By the way, I am opposed to the genetically modified crops being forced on us without adequate testing in labs first.

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.
Old 28th September 2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator

I've changed the text color on your post to white.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb