Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Conservation

Nepenthes Conservation Share your experiences and discussion on the conservation of Nepenthes in the wild.

Old 30th June 2008, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Default ding: Poaching

ding

ding = pickjian

Poaching
« Thread Started on Apr 20, 2008, 8:11pm »
hi all.

last week i'd been to the highlands and had the opportunity to go to see the highland species there. what i'd found out there were disappointment and sad. i discovered that there's a medium scale poaching where the larger plants' been poached and only the smaller plants left. the amount of nepenthes is far fewer than my last visit. that's not a healthy situation there if the poaching can't be stopped.

here i plead to anyone who'd read this message that:
1. not to pick nepenthes anymore over there;
2. give advice and educate the poacher (i believe they are picking them for sell) or collector that these highland species are not suitable to survive in lowland climate, soon or later the plants will die if not treated well;

i have no idea on situation of the nepenthes at the surrounding area but i hope it's still intact and inaccessible by poacher.

thanks for reading.

ding

there's a toy snake beside a nepenthes at the roadside. i had no doubt for that.

to my surprise it's not a fake snake, it's a real one just having its moonbath.

it's ready to bite when disturbed. poacher, it's just lying beside your feet. why not you bring it back too?
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 3:18pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top Logged dom

Re: Poaching
« Reply #1 on Apr 21, 2008, 10:29am »
Went there before. And saw ppl thrown away a big nepenthes. And from the drying neps. Guess it is N.sanguinea and it is around 4ft long. Beside that, this highland is developing and building few more playland, hotels and car parks. Soon or later..all these species will disappeared. « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 3:19pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy very first blog. Feel free to comments. www.dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com David
Administrator

« Reply #2 on Apr 21, 2008, 3:04pm »
Hi there Ding,

I have eidted your post not because by mentioning the location details, we are actually telling more irresponsible collectors where to find these plants. That little information you mentioned about were these poachers were taking the plants from is enough to give people an idea where to look for the plants.

This is an open forum, meaning members and non-members do not need to log-in to view the contents for what we discuss. As such, we will be indirectly sending these plants a death sentence by posting the details of the location.

By the way, it is good advise from you.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 3:19pm by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlist ding

ding = pickjian

« Reply #3 on Apr 21, 2008, 11:24pm »
Thanks for your concern, David.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged