Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia

Nepenthes Of Peninsular Malaysia Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 2nd July 2008, 12:44 PM

Default lisham : N. Mirabilis in Habitat (Padang Serai)

lisham
N. Mirabilis in Habitat (Padang Serai)

Some pix from my pix collection. Sadly the habitat was developed into something else.

My brother showing off his belly and the pitchers.

David
Re: N. Mirabilis in Habitat (Padang Serai)

Hmm, the leaves are suprisingly clean and shiny for a wild plant. All look very healthy in their own environment.

isaacgoh

Guys,

I just happened to be in Sg Buluh nurseries area when one local guy came over with few bags of "wild" mirabilis. They look well rooted, fresh, with lots of pitchers. I think they were taken from the nearby forest reserve. Selling at rm15 for large and rm8 for medium. He said that he's usually there during weekends, walking around like a free lance sales man.

FYI, I didn't get any from him.

Rgds,
Isaac

tarence

Mirablilis used to be my backyard `jungle` plant. also gracilis. both varieties wiped out by housing developers. sigh...

rainforestguy

Please note that while these plants may be simple or boring, they will one day be replaced by wild lawn grass and their weeds. It would be smart to start collecting at least unusual forms to save as areas are developed.
While this may seem unhealthy for the environment, the loss of these treasures could never be replaced. Please it is with hopes that someone will take initative and start collecting them. A friend in India who collected wild khasiana (from seeds) is glad because now N. khasiana in the wild is almost extinct.
The N. mirabilis from your regions have the natural ability to survive your climate. When used to breed with other exotics, some of this climate instinct will be retained. N. mirabilis already has a wide distribution range. Its ease in transitioning to newer climates and factors allows this species to thrive where others have failed. I believe this species is an important step in understanding how nepenthes grow and interact.
Keep these are valuable as other species exotic to your shores.

M

lisham

I have 1 or maybe 2 pots of the pictured plant with me in Langkawi.

Years back when I was stayingi n Sungai Petani, I took some vine cuttings from the area, didn't know that they can be grown from cuttings at that time but they grew. I remembered the cutting grew and put out a few cool colored pitchers, half green-half red, all green, green with red speckles, pinkish red etc. It's my first nep. Still find them interesting.

nep369

I hope that some of you are collecting from at least some of the places that are being developed before they are bulldozed over. It's sad that we kill a lot of wonderful things when we expand into near by areas due to our own growth. Just hope that they're people helping the doomed ones not to uninclude the others that sadly their time isn't that far off unless we can try to can that.

Last edited by David; 30th January 2009 at 12:22 PM.