Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Drosera

Drosera Everything about Sundews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default kianliang87: How long can we keep Drosera seeds? (Read 230 times)

kianliang87

How long can we keep Drosera seeds?
« Thread Started on 29 Mar, 2008, 20:02 »Hi, i had just got some seeds yesterday. Actually quite alot of seeds. 1 species of drosera more than hundreds tiny tiny seeds. Do we put all the seeds in those normal plastic container or do we need to put only a few seeds? size of the container around
7 inch * 4.5 inch size only.

And how long can we keep the seeds without losing any gemination success rate?

Hehe.
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.pheabs

Re: How long can we keep Drosera seeds?
« Reply #1 on 30 Mar, 2008, 0:23 »
Quote: Hi, i had just got some seeds yesterday. Actually quite alot of seeds. 1 species of drosera more than hundreds tiny tiny seeds. Do we put all the seeds in those normal plastic container or do we need to put only a few seeds? size of the container around
7 inch * 4.5 inch size only.

And how long can we keep the seeds without losing any gemination success rate?

Hehe.

good question dude, i need to know too..
still haven't sow my byblis.. going to buy a larger pot...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkianliang87

« Reply #2 on 30 Mar, 2008, 0:40 »haha, i just sow some neps seeds, i think i put around 50 seeds in 1 pot, the pot is round with diameter around 10 inch. Don't know it's too crowded or not
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.pheabs

« Reply #3 on 30 Mar, 2008, 2:32 »
Quote: haha, i just sow some neps seeds, i think i put around 50 seeds in 1 pot, the pot is round with diameter around 10 inch. Don't know it's too crowded or not

I'm not sure, some of Neps' germination rate are rather high..
If you Neps are having highier germination rate... then you probably struggle in transplanting for them...

What is Neps did you sow?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedDavid
Administrator

« Reply #4 on 31 Mar, 2008, 9:13 »For me I will just dump all the drosera seeds in one pot and trasplant them when they germinate and is about 4-5mm in diameter. This is because I have space constrain.

I do the same for neps but I germinate them on chopped up sphagnum moss. I'll cut the s.moss to tiny bits so that I can easily remove the seedlings and transplant them when they grow up. This way the roots will not be entangled on the long sphagnum moss if you did not chop the moss up.

It is generally accepted that nepenthes seeds loose its viability very quickly if not sow fresh. However, there are growers who are able to germinate the seeds after a year.

For byblis and temperate drosera seeds, I usually keep them in plactic containers or plasctic ziplock bags in the refrigerator. According to experts the seeds looses it viability in room temperature. However, never keep nepenthes seeds in the refrigerator.

Generally, my nepenthes seeds germinate faster than my drosera or byblis seeds. I think other growers also have this same experience. Sometimes drosera seeds will only germinate after 6 months. So do not throw away the pot if they do not germinate in a few months time.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar, 2008, 9:19 by David »Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantliststrath76

« Reply #5 on 31 Mar, 2008, 9:20 »
Quote: And how long can we keep the seeds without losing any gemination success rate?

Hehe.

Drosera seeds should keep without to much loss of vogour for a period of a year or more provided they are stored in an airtight container/bag and kept in the fridge.

I have kept seed in this way for periods greater than 12 months and still had good success. Nep seeds are different and should be sown when fresh. The longer they are kept the harder it becoes to germinate them.

I have read that older seed can be treated with Giberallic Acid to promote germination but I have not tried this myself. All seed should be stored in cool and dry conditions to prevent them from going stale.

Cheers.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedkianliang87

« Reply #6 on 31 Mar, 2008, 11:44 »Alright, thanks for the advice. I had modified my indoor 4 ft Aquarium stand, and also bought alot of trays and modified the lightings. Therefore i have alot of spaces. I had already sow all the seeds. Drosera & Neps.
Using only horti peat moss.

Lighting is 3 pieces of 4 ft Flourescent extra bright(philips green pin cap). 4 or 5 inches from the plants.

Humidity i don't know how to count. But should be high, i sow the seeds in plactic container with only 2 * 3mm(diameter) of holes for air.

The plants are planted in an air cond room(only at night).Air circulation in the room is ok, because i leave the toilet door and window open 24/7.

Any comment?
Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.kianliang87

« Reply #7 on 31 Mar, 2008, 11:46 »Opps forget to mention the dimension of the plastic container. It's a rectangular shape around 8/9 inches long and 6/7 inches wide. Very common type. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedStudent who loves nature.droserahybridman

« Reply #8 on 31 Mar, 2008, 12:36 »Hey,
I agree with what David said. I have bought seed that was 2-3 years old and it germinated just fine. The owner said that he kept it in a refrigerated room and he has had success with seeds 10+ years old. I don't know if he was exaggerating a little, though.
happy growing,
Aaron
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #9 on 31 Mar, 2008, 12:42 »OMG, i didn't preserve my byblis seeds..

what should i do now?
throw it into fridge now?
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedstrath76

« Reply #10 on 31 Mar, 2008, 15:57 »
Quote: OMG, i didn't preserve my byblis seeds..

what should i do now?
throw it into fridge now?

Better late then never. The viability may have been affected to some degree but it is better to store them correctly from now until you sow them rather then leave them out.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedpheabs

« Reply #11 on 1 Apr, 2008, 1:04 »[quote author=strath76 board=sundew thread=1206792148 post=1206950234
Better late then never. The viability may have been affected to some degree but it is better to store them correctly from now until you sow them rather then leave them out. [/quote]
thanks a lot.. muahhaa..

throw them in to the lowest part of fridge...
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedhongrui
Advisor - CP

CP addict

« Reply #12 on 1 Apr, 2008, 3:54 »for drosera seeds, if you're not sowing them immediately, you can store them in the fridge. i usually store them in the veggies section.

but for byblis seeds, storing them at room temperature in a dark drawer is fine. i have no idea why but fresh byblis do not germinate well for me and the germination rate goes up after the seeds were left in a drawer for about 1-2 months. unless you are not going to sow them within the next 2 months, then you should store them in the fridge.
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedlooking for different forms of N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana and N. xhookeriana.

My CP Growlist - updated 27 May '08
David
Administrator

« Reply #13 on 1 Apr, 2008, 9:42 »hongrui, I have the same experience too. Fresh Byblis seeds do not germinate that well for me too. Usually, I'll store them in the fridge a couple of weeks, then take them out and place them outside the fridge at room temperature for 1-2 weeks before sowing them. Seem to germinate better this way. Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedMy Wantlistpheabs

« Reply #14 on 1 Apr, 2008, 11:36 »
Quote: hongrui, I have the same experience too. Fresh Byblis seeds do not germinate that well for me too. Usually, I'll store them in the fridge a couple of weeks, then take them out and place them outside the fridge at room temperature for 1-2 weeks before sowing them. Seem to germinate better this way.
haha.. what a special thing... lolx
Link to Post - Back to Top Loggedtarence
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on 1 Apr, 2008, 12:34 »David / hongrui : i guess ageing the byblis seeds somehow helps with the stratification requirement. nowadays, i just let the seeds drop from the mother plant & altho the germination rate is low, i still do see plantlets coming out. Maybe about 10-20%. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged