Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes > Nepenthes Of Borneo

Nepenthes Of Borneo Field trip, documentry and pictures of Nepenthes in their natural habitat

Old 21st January 2009, 01:18 PM

Default Re: mt kinabalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonsuseong View Post
at least the tentaculata has hairs on the heads!! haha!!

well, one fine day when you all are up there, you might come across some decomposted skeletal remains, fertilising the plants. the obvious conclusion is some nep lover sacrificed his/her life to the plants!! better still, you guys may peer into some gigantic cups and see someone's finger or something floating in the fluid! wont be me though, my wife wont allow it!! sorry for digressing, just my imagination running wild. seems like only 3 of us (soon, ken and athene) are running havoc in this forum!! jobless, i guess!
Soon,

Ken should be in school, you are supposed to be 'delivering' what ever that you delivers and I'm expected to pretend to be cooking, but hey, we only live once, if you don't live passionately, don't live at all *wink*

Wonder if there's any antidote to what we have, 'Ceepeenitis'.
Old 21st January 2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Simple jaw dropping! Now I have to add a trip to Mt. Kinabalu in my dream vacation list. Man, the N. burbidgeae and vilosa is just... wow! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us.

I also like the scenery shot you took in black and white. The composition, positioning of the trees and scenary is just perfect in the shot.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:57 PM

what, you guys havent been to your 'hometown' in mount kinabalu yet? i proposed you guys go there this CNY and bring some josssticks or whatever to worship the neps!!!

david, my shots are the blurry ones you see in the nepenthes section!! these are my wife's shots, most of them anyway!! the camera doesnt agree with me, i think. it has absolutely nothing to do with my (poor) camera skills.

i hereby diagnosed you guys with nepenthitis, an progressive, deteriorating, incapacitating disease with no cure? or maybe there is a cure but you need to give me your most precious plants, starting with athene and her beautiful pot of burmanii!!
once that is done, i will refer you to the consultant nepenthologist... hahaha.

on a serious note, i am going to the other hometown of nepenthes on the other side of peninsular malaysia, sumatera. lake toba and its surroundings. wont be too much time for plants though, and my family will kill me if i turn it into a nep hunting holiday!
but there is a flower and plant market in brastagi, who knows they sell inermis there? 'wink wink'. anyone got any suggestions for me to contribute further to nepenthes in the wild corner??
Old 22nd January 2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Athene! Please give Dr. Soon your burmaii! I need the cure for my nepenthitis.

Wow! Please convey my appreciation to your wife on her photographs. Would be great if you could get her to join us (saying this with ulterior motive... so can enjoy more of her pictures). Better still infect her with nepenthitis... Ok, Athene... I change my mind. do not give the burmanii to Dr. Soon. Need to "poison" his wife into the forum.

If your wife is infected, it won't be much of a problem to turn your trip to Sumatera into a Nepenthes hunting expedition.

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - A Kenyan Proverb
Old 22nd January 2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Advisor

Oh no soon, you're being too humble. I don't see any blur pics. your wife has steady hands. The "blur" was caused by water condesation on the lens.

( i use ps to manipulate one of the mt scenes pic, turned out ok )
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:48 PM

Hi,

nice pictures, the Mesilau Garden is truely fantastic. The guide told me the burbidgeaes kept there were transferred from a similar site not far away, but the rajahs and tentaculatas are natural, some plants having an estimated age of over 70 years!! Seedlings are very slow under that conditions and take 5 and more years to reach the size of a coin... The N.fusca you shot is in fact the rare hybrid of burbidgeae and fusca! I love that plant!

greetings, Mathias
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:53 AM

Seemed like a very worthwhile trip. Please, keep the pictures coming.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
greetings, Mathias
Hi there and welcome!

Old 23rd January 2009, 11:22 AM

robert, the blurry pictures of mine are in the nepenthes section actually. my wife's pictures are ok!

yeah, i was thinking of the fusca being a fusca x burbridgea as it looks different, a bit of both parents. i did not see a lot of fusca there around that site. this is the most prominent one.