PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Other Carnivourous Plants

Other Carnivourous Plants About other less cultivated carnivorous plants

Old 17th September 2008, 07:56 PM
malowie

Default Re: Hissss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS View Post
Very nice cobra This is one of my dream plant! How long have you grown this gorgeous plant? Mind to share your growing tricks and tips? drooling....
i agree with TS!!!

please please share with us our tricks! i can only read aboutit on the internet and see pics in books only...
Old 17th September 2008, 10:40 PM

Woo....this sarra really look like cobra..very nice....
I also read them through net..never see it before...
Actually easy to get them or not??
Old 18th September 2008, 12:22 AM
Pioneer
Senior Global Moderator

That's not a sarra Lan, but darlingtonia californica or better known as Cobra Lily. The tongue is the "trade mark" for this plant.

I just love it so much. Hope I could get some growing tips from Ifurita to grow this to it's maturity in the tropic.

Hello....(echo)... Ifurita... are you there???
Old 18th September 2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks for ur correction…TS!!
If u dun said, I just think this is sarra..because its body like sarra….Ih do..I do a mistake…paiseh….
The tougue look like so special……….like a cobra…I never see it before..hope can get it..HEhe!!!
Old 18th September 2008, 04:46 PM

Very rarelah.
Old 18th September 2008, 05:21 PM

Haha, sorry everyone!! Wasn't expecting there to be that much interest in this plant because when I posted it on the CP section of my local plant forum, there was like ZERO interest, heh.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! The plant you see has been growing at my place for about half a year now. A bit of a victory, to me at least, since I've heard horror stories about how the plant can just croak overnight if it hates its conditions, so growing it for that long, plus getting it to adapt and give nice growth, I can live with that.

Its growing at the window of my bedroom, so it does get air-con, but only at night while I'm sleeping. Its got to survive the heat of the day without any cooling. Its been adapted to taking air-con level humidity too, so its not in a tank or any form of terra, nor am I using lights. Basically, its just sitting happily at the window without me bothering about it too much, except watering from time to time.

No real tricks, it doesn't seem to be that fussy, so maybe its reputation is a bit exaggerated...or maybe the problems will only start to show after its been grown for a few years. It generally behaves like a Sarr, except that I've heard that it doesn't lose its leaves during dormancy, so we'll see how that goes. It should be going dormant somtime soon: Sarrs just auto go into dormancy when they feel like it in our climate, so we'll see if this one does the same. Otherwise...it generally doesn't seem too fussy. The pitcher development prefers moderate-high humidity levels and bright light levels, otherwise it will not inflate properly and the tongue will not develop fully.

As to obtaining the plant, it shouldn't be too difficult, there are a fair number of nurseries online which sell them, so its not so much rare, but from what I've heard, the issue is actually keeping it alive after you get it. I have a pot of seedlings growing near this one and even as seedlings, the plant is quite tough, it can already stand up to the heat of the day(even during our hot season) and harden off to low humidity levels. However, the seedlings seem to have a high attrition rate for some reason...it may be my conditions...but those that do make it don't seem to give too many problems. I'd suggest that getting a young plant may be better than getting a seedling though, just in case the high attrition rate is natural.

Incidentally, I've got more than one pot of these guys, but while this one is supposed to be the more heat sensitive clone, they're both doing okay. Because of this, I'm not sure if air-con is even necessary, so I'm planning to divide one of the clumps when I can and try to get it to grow outdoors when I get the chance. After all, if it can take the day heat, there's a chance that it can take the heat period. It doesn't give the same kind of heat sensitive behaviour highland neps give, so I figure its worth a shot.
Old 18th September 2008, 05:28 PM

I wish I had one!!! BUT must be very expensive......
Old 18th September 2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifurita View Post
Haha, sorry everyone!! Wasn't expecting there to be that much interest in this plant because when I posted it on the CP section of my local plant forum, there was like ZERO interest, heh.
This plant is so cool and no interest??? I'm ultra-interested in this plant cause I like both CPs and snakes. Hehehe.