Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th June 2008, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Default applebee8: stressed nepenthes

applebee8

stressed nepenthes
« Thread Started on Jun 7, 2008, 6:52pm »
here are the nepenthes that i got from fauzi that has been really affected by the stress of travel, some of the pitchers were soft and a bit withering. I placed them in my mother's garden which has netting and as you can see gets some afternoon sun. The potting mix is coco chips mixed with cocopeat and sand. The potting mix is kept moist with aged water.

what do you recommend? do i cut the pitchers so the plant can concentrate on recovering itself? the plant and leaves seemed to be recovering but i think the pitchers will wither. Do i have to feed the pitchers with 1 pc of ants each?
This image is reduced by 13%, click it to view full size.

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged shawnintland

Re: stressed nepenthes
« Reply #1 on Jun 7, 2008, 8:27pm »
Hi Applebee,

Hey, some of those look just fine! Ok, the pitchers on a few have dried out, and they won't come back - so you might as well trim them off and give the plant a break from trying to keep the tissues alive so 'far out on a limb' so-to-speak. But a lot of the others look like they are doing well. But 6 DAYS! Were you out of town or do you mean 6 days in the mail?

See what others have to say, this is just one guys input! I'd add that if any start looking 'questionable' you can slide a large mouth zip-loc bag over them and set them in a water filled tray to raise the humidity and make it easier on the plant for a while. Just be careful about re-acclimatizing it when it's ready... punch a few more holes in the bag every day for a week or two before pulling it off.

Good Luck

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged fauzi
Advisor - Nepenthes

« Reply #2 on Jun 7, 2008, 11:08pm »
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting the photos of the plants, at least I can still keep track of the plants....

I think what you should do is put them in a more shadier place for the first 2-3 weeks and put some water - about 1/5 of the pitcher so that the remaining pitcher will not dry easily.

Once they have produce new leaf than only you shift it out.
Ha... ha.. forgotten already the SOP "Standard Operation Procedure" on where to put the plants.....

Once they start producing new shoots, the plants will be doing just fine.

Thanks

Fauzi

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedNepenthes - unique plant for unique individual
www.dapat.net/4zeplant
applebee8

« Reply #3 on Jun 8, 2008, 12:41am »
Thanks shawnintland and fauzi for your expert advice, will surely do what you suggested, might as well cut the dried pitchers and put them im a shadier place. been looking for ants to drop in the pitchers to help speed up the production of acids in their pitchers. Well from the looks of it, they will survive.
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged arvin555

« Reply #4 on Jun 8, 2008, 8:16pm »
Fauzi has spoken But just wanted to add that I actually do the same thing that he suggested myself. Usually the water in the pitchers get dumped during transport, I just add more water, usually purified drinking water, not just aged water, for the pitchers. But in any case the pitchers will usually dry off anyway, I just think that the added water helps the plant avoid getting dehydrated. I am not too sure also but I think morning sun is best, though mine actually gets midday sun.

Yeah and also best indicator that the plant has acclimitized is that the new growth starts coming out, you know it's settled down when a pitcher is formed and opened, but that will take quite a few weeks sometimes. I have a ventricosa that has only started showing shoots/sprouts just now, after 6 months! Wow! Crispty dried pitchers just cutt off at the tendrils!

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top Logged applebee8

« Reply #5 on Jun 9, 2008, 10:47pm »
Thanks for all the advices, I just cut off the dried pitchers this afternoon, transferred the plants in a shady place and to the rst of the pitchers that doesn't have anything in them, I added water. Hope they'll recover soon from the stress!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged ameliepoulain
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on Jun 10, 2008, 11:08am »
just don't forget to bag it, that will do wonders with moisture retention!

good luck.

Link to Post - Back to Top LoggedAthene's CP Growlist
Athene's Wishlist
applebee8

« Reply #7 on Jun 12, 2008, 11:50pm »
Hi there, it's been raining here in the afternoons, after that it really is hot and humid! I've seen some plants starting to get new leaves, I think another week or two, they'll be back in shape. Thanks for all the help!
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged arvin555

« Reply #8 on Jun 13, 2008, 11:14pm »
That is great news applebee! I have also noticed some growth on my neps that didn't seem to be doing anything for months, I guess it's "spring" season for them now.

The Mango tree that used to give my plants dappled light and shade has been trimmed down a lot, so I have experienced a lot of sun burned leaves on some of my neps, but I'm not too worried, specially because of the afternoon rain showers nowadays, the sunburned ones are in fact growing new shoots already. I do plan on putting a net over them in the future.

TTFN
Arvin

Link to Post - Back to Top